What have you learned from poker?

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, poker is a love/hate relationship. I think I've learned more about myself since I got active here and other places, and use the advice I get at the tables. It works too, But what I have found out is that we all have good and bad days, so I think a lot before I play any game, because I don't need anything to drag me down. It's the same in my every day life. I have to be positive playing poker, and I have to be positive every day or things start to fall apart. And I know that being positive with everything every day is impossible, but if I know myself, so when I get down I don't play poker, or anything else because I know how to make things worse. GL

omon2727

omon2727

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in poker u play with people but not with cards

poketcardz

poketcardz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learned how to be patient at tables some times never get a hand and take your time trying to build up its takes time and how to kept a Straight poker face

wc2hell

wc2hell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, poker is a love/hate relationship. I think I've learned more about myself since I got active here and other places, and use the advice I get at the tables. It works too, But what I have found out is that we all have good and bad days, so I think a lot before I play any game, because I don't need anything to drag me down. It's the same in my every day life. I have to be positive playing poker, and I have to be positive every day or things start to fall apart. And I know that being positive with everything every day is impossible, but if I know myself, so when I get down I don't play poker, or anything else because I know how to make things worse. GL

Well, I think too, that we all have bad and good days, and poker helped me to overcome the bad days, knowing that better days will come.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
breathe and be patient, very good

F

franbx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i started to be very competetive, focus more in my opponents. be patient.. be more friendly :DD

O

Oleg196

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realized that nothing comes easy. To achieve something, you have to put a lot of effort. No matter how lucky you are and what you are good man.

D

DjKniteX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The ability to calculate odds and use process of elimination really fast. Probably the most math intensive game I have ever played. I'm also learned (not very good at it) but able to read tells.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure all ive learned in poker its a lot. Will say two advices one annie duke said you cannot win an tournament in the first hour day etc.. pace self and when feel the urge to grab chips etc... cause you only have soooo many bb left to be patient and wait for a quality hand to get started. More often than not you will get that starter to keep it going if you wait:) This was solid advice hmm like in 2006 and changed me a lot and started winning longer running events regularly and having the patience to wait on games coming to me. Its been invaluable lesson. The second was in 2009 from daniel negraneau he simply told me do not live life for poker live a life around poker that is a benefit to full life. This made sense at time to make sure I appreciated more than just a game. It made my life easier at that time poker was my life and life hood. It was taken away by black friday but the love of the game the changing of my life have all been beneficial. I think I have the game to move up the ladder I took almost a full year off now. I dealt with my medical got myself in right mind to make a run and maybe now im ready to go after it see what this game can bring. I am disabled so basically just have time. I have done well in and around poker the community is something only matched by your closest of friends. Right now im starting again go small for a bit work way up see how I do. I love the friends I have more than anything as i laid recovering from heart attacks and blood clots many from this forum and others gave me prayers and love. To me that is priceless and why I bring myself back to play this game. Win lose or draw if you love the game and you have good friendships bonds it makes winning or whatever secondary. The poker community is unreal the people ive met. I love what it has taught me in this lifetime and hope all get out of the game what they want or desire. You do have to work for those wants though:)

Radi

Radi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned to be patient and to predict possible movement from others.

real_lee85

real_lee85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ohhh.. another thing I learned is that people that don't have the slightest clue how to play poker......cracks your aces with K8..takes 3 quarters your stack... Then beats your AK of spades with 48 of spades... and felts you 3 away from the money...I CANT STAND THEM!!!! Whew.. I'm good now

Bertochi

Bertochi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learn to control myself in many aspects, thats why I love poker!

G

GoldCaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've learned that posts like this only require a short reply. And most of all not to dwell on what could have been. But focus on the now.

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
POKER EVERY DAY MORE AND MORE ABOUT LEARNING STUDYING POKER WILL BE ALWAYS IN FRONT

zubastik

zubastik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from poker I have learned that it is not necessary to make any hasty decisions without weighing the pros and cons

B

Bhfael

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker xD

I learned a lot about poker from the start in lives tournaments. The principal was about to observe the right time to act, observe those with fewer chips, players reactions, and how to behave after the late register.

W

Whiterosemov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I really learned a lot of important statistics data, to be kindo of an actor when playing live games (I think I'm pretty good at that), to keep cool in the worts situations possible without cracking out and losing your mind completely

just those ones are a lot of thing IMO

Dutchtegon

Dutchtegon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker itself was already a realy nice way to have something to do for a night.
I think my thinking process is now much better then before.

Stanislav

Stanislav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twin

Interesting Question lear to be my self game play think waiting bluff and fell the big bubble ;)

I

iNs0mN1a

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker really developes some good life skills if you learn it. It improves the logical part of your thinking and analyzing becomes better.
It depends if you are reffering to LIVE vs ONLINE, because even though it is the same game, you require a different approach at each.
The best example is the mighty poker face. You develop this at live poker but after this, your interactions with people will really start changing if you are closely looking, because you can just read everything on their faces.
It's a very long subject, you can write hundreds of pages of an essay about this so to answer, for me personally, the hand reading developed into a very nice "people reading". Even something like timing tells has IRL applications when having a conversation with someone. Their thoughts, intentions, moodswings are way clearer now.

N

nafanyalg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker helps to be more restrained, it helps to master your emotions and not, allows to take up on yourself. This is very important because often we are driven by emotions rather than rational choice. Sometimes betting we so much want to win, not to notice the best combinations, or simply do not want to believe that such is the opponent. At such times it is always soberly and coolly approach the situation.
Only the mind and only mind!

D

Demagog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has taught me patience and endurance, control their emotions (although this is not always possible to me :) ).

P

predator4114

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker learned to control their emotions and make important decisions))