what do you think poker players are sportsmen or gamblers???

mrDredlexa

mrDredlexa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5% are sportsmen, 95% are gamblers

1prophecy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker players are without a doubt gamblers.
it doesnt matter how good you are, you are always gambling and risking with each card

R

RyanRake93

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a element of both, of course there is always a gamble involved. The reason I think it could be seen as a sport is simple, the numerous hours you spend consecutively playing whilst maintaining a high level of concentration trying to read and analysis of hands.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker players are both gamblers and sportsmen, the gamblers are most likely playing cash games, looking for that QUICK buck, while the sportsmen are tournament players willing to wait for that buck.

Right answer I found this comment very usefull if somebody aske me the same question.

TjaartW

TjaartW

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anybody wagering money is a gambler... but the skill it involve to be a good player ... I would not call it a sport ... an Artist maybe?

B

Bsharky28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very many gambler's
but there are real sportsmen in poker ))) Daniel Negrianu - he is realy good sportsman.

sofren

sofren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a very hard to answer on this question. Depend from player to player. For me professional poker players are sportsmen. My opinion is: players who play poker for fun and with love is sportsmen, and players who play poker for money only is gamblers. There is a big difference between this players.Money is a big factor of this game for soo much players. I say one more time it is hard to find answer on this question. Ask one houndred people and probably you will got a lot different answers

Clausitoo

Clausitoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a sport cause you are playing with the Brain and peoples for many hours it's like chess or Mae Jong. Its a different muscle

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all I am sure all of the women are happy about this question regarding 'sportsmen'

anywho NO WAY poker is a sport, its a lazy ass game that super fat people who smoke can play, stop trying to make yourself feel special

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go try to win the wsop and tell me that being in good physical condition doesn't help.

Having to be at your utmost mentally for hours on end for over a week straight is physically grueling...

Go tell a professional chess player that competitive chess isn't sport.

It's one of my biggest problems with the whole Black Friday nonsense in the "land of the free." Professional golfers play for millions of dollars. Professional golfers are, almost to a man, degenerate gamblers.

It doesn't really bother me if people call it a sport or a game, but we live in a world where driving a car is considered sport... and so is League of Legends... so yeah.

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go try to win the WSOP and tell me that being in good physical condition doesn't help.

Having to be at your utmost mentally for hours on end for over a week straight is physically grueling...

Go tell a professional chess player that competitive chess isn't sport.

It's one of my biggest problems with the whole Black Friday nonsense in the "land of the free." Professional golfers play for millions of dollars. Professional golfers are, almost to a man, degenerate gamblers.

It doesn't really bother me if people call it a sport or a game, but we live in a world where driving a car is considered sport... and so is League of Legends... so yeah.

greg raymer, chris moneymaker, doyle brunson - yeah all super athletes
and I have problems with golf and bowling being called sports too, but at least they get to stand up

I will tell ALL chess players they are lazy = pro or not

oh and the golf thing - they are not putting up their own money to create the prizepool = NOT GAMBLING

Last edited:
detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
per Webster dictionary"
Sport = a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

explain how this applies

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hah - just saw League Of Legends = those geeks will say anything to get a chic - doesnt mean its true

Car racing IS physically grueling, more so than golf or bowling. I give golf a step up over bowling because of the swing and all the walking

EsnneyPk

EsnneyPk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker, Sports or Game, defining it will not be easy all depends on your point of view player obviously poker does not require if mental and psychological exertion, the exercise of the human mind, which can also be tiring after several hours being in a session as a chess player that he is considered a sportsman then what would be the difference between these two examples.
From my point of view I can take it as a sport.
Everything is a decision from the perspective of people.
:joyman:

G

Gektor610

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker players are sportsmen! This particularly applies to playing in tournaments. In poker of course there is an element of excitement.

Rincewind

Rincewind

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go try to win the WSOP and tell me that being in good physical condition doesn't help.

Say wut?

0315-fossil-man-mug-shot-1.jpg

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

And John Daly used to play golf and Butterbean used to fight.

All I said was being in good physical condition is helpful because a long event like the WSOP *is* physically grueling. Your brain is just what is being exerted the most.

Like I said, though... I'm not one of those people who gets irked if you say poker isn't a sport. I understand that viewpoint as well, for sure.

It's poker, it transcends definition...:icon_rr: ;)

detroitjunkie

detroitjunkie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And John Daly used to play golf and Butterbean used to fight.

All I said was being in good physical condition is helpful because a long event like the WSOP *is* physically grueling. Your brain is just what is being exerted the most.

Like I said, though... I'm not one of those people who gets irked if you say poker isn't a sport. I understand that viewpoint as well, for sure.

It's poker, it transcends definition...:icon_rr: ;)

it does help, however good physical condition helps in almost everything except for a life as a couch potato. Try performing brain surgery as a fat person, cant be done. Good health leads to metal stability which does help performance in a lot of things.

you can still be fat and in good shape-ish, as many football and baseball players are, Butterbean however was an enigma. John Daley is my reason I do not like golf as a sport, but again a very rare case like BB, and neither of them were ever really considered to be all that good anyways.

in the end does it really matter? if you are athletic yourself you do not need to call poker a sport because you should not care, if you are not, well maybe you call it a sport to compensate for something I dont know

i guess back to op question about a sportsman - which is different than calling it a sport - is also not true because sportsmen operate outdoors, and kill to eat - you are not killing to eat in poker - AND NO do not justify it by using symbolism like 'you kill with cards on the table of life and get chips to eat with' NO, they are no where near the same dont even try it

Sar52

Sar52

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I , of course , for the sport of poker , but do not forget that this is still a game for money

jimlahey7

jimlahey7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker players

i think most poker players are sportsmen cant see through a computor but i think most people are sportsmen if not why you playing its supposed to be a little fun

A

alexdr87

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And here sports? Poker the usual game where the main factor is luck and experience

D

Demagog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As if we did not want to give poker for sport (maybe even Olympic :) ), but I still think poker - gambling.

Nikolay23

Nikolay23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker its like a chess for chips :D i think
poker can be called a sport.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling