What do you think of Cary Katz's play?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, I am a huge fan of his play. He takes his time with each tough decision, able to make tough calls with mediocre pairs, and his table talk can tilt you without you even knowing or feeling it.

dgellitson

dgellitson

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm a fan of his play. Like you stated he often makes some really lose calls and gets it right for the majority but I'm not a fan of his table talk. Infact, I cringe at him sometimes in all honesty. I find him overly arrogant and a not very likeable person.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a fan of his play. Like you stated he often makes some really lose calls and gets it right for the majority but I'm not a fan of his table talk. Infact, I cringe at him sometimes in all honesty. I find him overly arrogant and a not very likeable person.

I agree that some of his table-talk can be extremely cringe-worthy. His arrogance, however, is his strength at the table. His style is more of a boss-like style that is very hard to do. He tries to get you to tilt with basically anything and gets you to call with bad hands.

For me, I can't play like him because I can't berate other players at the table. I use more betting pattern mix-ups, limping and raising mix ups, and using time to think about hands when I already know the move I'm going to make.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Agree with dgellitson and TheDude6622- Cary's game has definitely improved and most seem unaware how much he has actually won (I believe now 20m plus) which surely indicates something. That said he can afford to play...

…and that is where I have always surmised (rightly or wrongly) his nasty demeanor comes from- perhaps a defensiveness about his wealth and its origins. And, on this point it is remarkable how infrequently the matter is touched upon within the poker community. Yes, he's the banker of Poker Go, but...

Most should know his father's fortune started in student loan companies, a somewhat predatory practice no matter where you stand on the political spectrum. Like father like son, Cary went into the business, expanded and then branched out, to then own one of the biggest student loan companies in the US.

Again, politics aside, I find the idea of anyone playing high rollers on the backs of students loans a little tasteless to say the least. It is what it is, but to pose Cary Catz is not the most pleasant fella might not be too far off the mark.

Last edited:
1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, I am a huge fan of his play. He takes his time with each tough decision, able to make tough calls with mediocre pairs, and his table talk can tilt you without you even knowing or feeling it.

As a fat chinchilla beginning their poker journey at the age of 30 I am a huge fan of Cary Katz's play since he has achieved 98% of his success/winnings between the ripe old age of 43-49 which is inspiring for both young and middle aged players. It would be more inspirational though if he were fat because I am a fat chinchilla. But I guess I have Scott Seiver, Chris Moneymaker, and Greg "Fossilman" Raymer for that. Anyone know any other good fatties I can look to for inspiration? Sigh...There's not many, I better get busy on my hamster wheel :frown:.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
1Fat Chinchilla,

Okay , you made laugh in the middle of an overcast day!

..Jamie Staples?

dgellitson

dgellitson

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As a fat chinchilla beginning their poker journey at the age of 30 I am a huge fan of Cary Katz's play since he has achieved 98% of his success/winnings between the ripe old age of 43-49 which is inspiring for both young and middle aged players. It would be more inspirational though if he were fat because I am a fat chinchilla. But I guess I have Scott Seiver, Chris Moneymaker, and Greg "Fossilman" Raymer for that. Anyone know any other good fatties I can look to for inspiration? Sigh...There's not many, I better get busy on my hamster wheel :frown:.
You Sir have just made my day

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with dgellitson and TheDude6622- Cary's game has definitely improved and most seem unaware how much he has actually won (I believe now 20m plus) which surely indicates something. That said he can afford to play...

…and that is where I have always surmised (rightly or wrongly) his nasty demeanor comes from- perhaps a defensiveness about his wealth and its origins. And, on this point it is remarkable how infrequently the matter is touched upon within the poker community. Yes, he's the banker of Poker Go, but...

Most should know his father's fortune started in student loan companies, a somewhat predatory practice no matter where you stand on the political spectrum. Like father like son, Cary went into the business, expanded and then branched out, to then own one of the biggest student loan companies in the US.

Again, politics aside, I find the idea of anyone playing high rollers on the backs of students loans a little tasteless to say the least. It is what it is, but to pose Cary Catz is not the most pleasant fella might not be too far off the mark.

Very well said.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hamster wheels are a great way to become a skinny chinchilla!

1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1Fat Chinchilla,

Okay , you made laugh in the middle of an overcast day!

..Jamie Staples?

Haha glad I could make you laugh. Ah Jamie Staples good one! He's starting to have some good success and has had a good year this year online and he's a meatball like myself. My fur makes me look fatter then I really am though but I am still very overweight for my kind:laugh::dong:

Hmm let's see who else is there? There's really no other successful fatties in Poker that I can look to for inspiration huh. There just isn't many overweight people in Poker, I can't believe how few their are. Shaun Deeb for sure, he's meatball status and a human version of me. Antanas "Tony G" Guoga, David Benyamine maybe, Jeff Lisandro for sure, a few throwback legends. Todd Brunson and Brian Hastings are a little bit plump I guess. Looks like I'm going to have no choice but to lose weight if I want the kind of success that I am after. I wonder if they make hamster balls in my size for chinchilla's. I always see little hamsters running around in those hamster ball things and they stay so fit, I'm gonna have to see if I can order one in a custom size. Hopefully someone makes Plus Size hamster balls or I'm in trouble lol

1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Wow very good and interesting post. I had no idea that Cary was wealthy before Poker and inherited money from his fathers fortune via student loan companies. I'm not a big fan of them either one of my previous owners was a very nice young college student who had to cut back on spending money on my powder for my dust baths in order to pay off his insane student loans. Those basterds, I love my dust baths. I get all excited and roll around in them really fast then I come out lookin like a shiny new car its just the best. Those student loan companies really screw people though with the rates and terms they give.

1FatChinchilla

1FatChinchilla

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hamster wheels are a great way to become a skinny chinchilla!

Haha yea I have a chinchilla sized hamster wheel my owner had it custom made for my fat ass cause hamster ones are too small for me. He barks at me all the time to get on it. If I refuse he picks me up sets me on it and says I'm not getting food until I run on it for a few minutes. Jerk. He has my best interests at heart though. The wheel gets boring though after a while. That's why I'm thinking of upgrading to a hamster exercise ball. Then I can just roam around the house in the ball and see what's going on. I'm going to have to see if I can have a custom one made though because ain't no way I'm gonna be able to stuff my fat furry ass into a small hamster ball. It will be like that scene from that movie Tommy Boy with Chris Farley where he's like "Fat guy in a little coat". Accept its gonna be "Fat Chinchilla in a little ball", not good lol.

I actually did this trying to get into my 1st hamster wheel. It was way too small. I destroyed it completely. Sigh fml:bawling::dong: