what to do on bad days

CERRATO505

CERRATO505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What do they do when they go on bad streaks, what would be the best advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stop playing poker and go do something else that you like. If the bad streak is lasting for days, take a break for a few days or one or two weeks.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the situation. If I'm making mistakes, not reading the table well, then yeah, find something else to do. If it is anything else besides getting bad beat or someone who gets extremely lucky, keep playing.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
every poker player has to have a certainty in mind: you will never win every day, it is practically impossible. If you are playing correctly even then you will lose most days, but on the days you win that there will be few, you have to do your best and try to get to FT, because that is where the poker money is and that is what it will make up for all the other days you missed.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can mentally prepare yourself before the game. Say I am going to play with 3 buy ins. If you lose it all early, you earned some free time. If you win, good job you made some money.

I only play MTT, so I go in knowing I will pay XYZ tournaments today. If I lose early I get extra time for myself to do other stuff. So whatever that happens I am going to be gaining something. Beside bubbling out.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can stop playing, and evaluate your game, to see what mistakes you are making, and correct those mistakes to improve in the future.:icon_rr:

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I try to get away from the game and read to calm down since the mental attitude and the mood influence the game and finally I review my mistakes to correct them

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you study your game and think you are playing well but you are having bad luck, then it may be so. Aces lose to lower pairs. Triplets are stamped against colors, and hands generally die on the river more often than you think. My advice in these situations is to stay away from the game for a while. Take a breather, gather strength, and play again when your mind is fresh and in order, ready to start playing again. However, what you don't have to do is start changing the way you play to compensate for that bad luck. Focus on the fundamentals, find good hands on the preflop and try to play the strongest poker you can. Over time, luck always changes.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have other things in your life other than poker to cheer yourself up with. Never play poker to cheer up unless manic depression cheers you up.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your mental strength. I play mostly mtts and sit and goes of up to 360 players. Not hard to run bad in key spots and wonder what am I doing wrong?
If you are playing your best and getting your chips when you are ahead and not winning , what can you do differently? Not much.
Even after you take a rest will your approach be the same or different?

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Life is not just sitting down in a room and making money. Go out and talk with your friends, your family. You will feel relax and have the energy to continue your work. Good luck to everyone trying hard every day to have a better life.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think take a break, little or big, it deppends, but take it slow...

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take a break in poker as in life there are bad days where everything goes apparently wrong the difference is that in poker you can stop and turn off your pc or device unfortunately in life you cannot do it, that's why every time you have a bad day in poker you must take a break from everything related to it to start again with the tranquility and necessary concentration, how long should the break be? all the time you need to stay focused on the game again

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a walk with your girlfriend..

There other other beautifull things on the world beside poker

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My own experience tells me to do anything else but play poker... I mean, it's not the case of you are a pro I guess, in this case I guess you should learn how to isolate you mind while playing you know?! I mean, forget all your problems...
But if you are playing as a hobby and not expecting exceptional results out of it, the best thing you can do is to stay out of the tables.. otherwise you will be much more likely to lose money

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking breaks is really the way to go, otherwise you'll end up in an infinite whirlpool of tiltness and you won't stop until its too late, and your bankroll has been almost depleted.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Might be a sign.

If you're on a bad streak, don't fight it. If you have to play, play a freeroll; or the bold move, walk away from the game. Think big-picture: The longer you stay away, the more positive Karma, luck-wise you are building.

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like anything that goes the wrong direction, being around it more normally will make things worse. What I like to do is to go outside and get fresh air. Whether it is gardening or a walk, as long as I can get away and literally change my mind for awhile, I find it it to be helpful and healthy.

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make a calendar of freerolls in Google Sheets (Excel Online) and play them. Look for sweepstakes, promotions, free contests. There are so many of them on the network that if you are really a patient player, you do not have to deposit again)) and check other rooms too ;)