What differences do you find between professional players and other players?

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
AR
Hello everyone! Since I started playing poker online, I have liked to see the highest levels where most regular professionals play. Some of them have shared their strategy and way of seeing the game, but my question is if it is useful to see the game from the highest levels for which we play the lowest levels? What significant differences do you find between professionals and those who are just beginning? Thank you!!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
bankroll and the management of it is the significant difference while recreational players will have just a few dollars to play with.
Regulars might have a decent 4 or 5 digit roll to play around with for example.
To me a truly great pro easily should have a larger 6 or 7 digit roll in my opinion to use for playing poker.
Players can change also over time between these 3 main groups many pros have gone bust.
That to me is the primary difference off the felt before the many different factors of actual game play are to be considered which many exist.
A lot of factors can change this opinion of mine and different groups added I suppose depends on your point of view.

Last edited:
BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
AR
I've seen that too, many good players can lose everything completely and never reach their level again. I think the best way to professionalize the game is simply by having enough banckroll so that you don't have the time to play it and that you can bear any downswing.
On the other hand, I try to just look at something that I am really passionate about and not trying to learn or incorporate much of what they do, since it took me a long time to adapt to micro limits and I consider that the game of the professionals can contaminate my strategy, Although there are very good strategic moves that you could use.

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Total posts
From my short experience as a poker player, the main characteristic that I see in professional players is the serenity and patience to overcome difficult times without making too many mistakes, both for the game and for the bankroll managment.

I think if you want to get into the select group that can make poker a stable job, those would be the main characteristics that should be trained.

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Total posts
many high level great players have lost everything at one time or another and were forced to rebuild from lower stakes. it requires the same bankroll management theory and search for an "edge". whether that be finding locations with easy-fish or getting staked while rebuilding. higher stakes players are usually better at pot control, craftier, more in-tune with todays poker trends and have more ways to beat you because they put themselves in many situations (many of them with high pressure and for alot of money) and learned from this. over-all you can learn alot from these players because they probably passed by all aspects of the game.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Total posts
Awards
Hello buddy! I think that a fundamental difference is that a professional can explain each one of his actions, such as why does he bet a certain size, which hands can the rival have from which he hopes to extract value, which hands does he try to make folded; while most of recreational players advance through a haze of actions that end in pointless spot.

Another difference is that recreational players, especially very beginners, only look at their cards. That is why it is so easy to get all the chips out of them when they have top pair and you wear Overpair.

Lastly, but I think it is the most important, is that recreationals do not study, because with study I am sure that you can always advance in level

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
They see the game better. I think they make better decisions than average in key situations. Obviously, choosing the right bet is also important and has a deeper bankroll.

Y

yanslad

Rock Star
Total posts
Professionals don't give excuses.. they don't blame the cards, don't blame the donkey players, don't blame the websites and so on...
They simply know that that's how it is and play to play well.
While those who are not professional like a lot to think that luck is never with them and always with someone else
Oh yes, almost forgot... Bankroll management is for me the MOST important thing that you gotta learn even before playing micro

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Total posts
Really all it boils down to is pro level players play better poker over a longer period of time. They make far less mental mistakes, they pay attention to every detail they see on players at the table, even online. Its pretty simple really. Play good solid poker, understand your not going to win every tourney, bad beats happen, and keep grinding!

Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Total posts
I strongly believe that a major difference between pros and casual player is the amount of overall time dedicated to the game.
Pros treat poker much more like a business, take a more analysed and strategised approach, doing things like hand reviews and properly dedicating time to studying and becoming a real student of the game.

Casual players on the other hand tend to solely focus a lot more on play and play. Yes they do learn but only on the face of things. I do also believe as the pros take a more business like approach that ends up with things like bankroll management and strategy become more of a naturally gained attribute where as to a casual player it doesn’t become that ‘2nd nature’ so to speak.

V

valts102

Enthusiast
Total posts
Fish players dont play with bankroll managment,they call more trush hands preflop

G

GSMTH

Enthusiast
Total posts
One of the important differences is that many bluff strategies from the pros don't work at the micro stakes, because there are too many low level players who only see 1 thing: I have a (top) pair, so call!!!

Roobz75

Roobz75

Rock Star
Total posts
Professional players tend to fold more and don't recklessly play every hand, like I've seen some terrible players play on pokerstars.
Professionals don't keep going 'all in' either. They're making the money and living out of it, so must be doing something right...

KeyJey

KeyJey

Rock Star
Total posts
Hello everyone! Ever since I started playing poker online, I liked to see the highest levels that most ordinary professionals play. Some of them shared their strategy and way of viewing the game, but my question is: is it useful to watch the game from the highest levels for which we play at the lowest levels? What significant differences do you find between professionals and those just starting out? Thank !!

Good question. And the answer is simple. Personally, I see such a difference. Professionals often fold bad hands. They play mainly with strong hands. And they dump the garbage. And do not often play all in. They live and earn poker. And it seems to me that they play correctly. And not experienced players with any cards can play. And what I don't like is they often go all in.

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Total posts
I know 3 professionals.
They say the same thing that they´ve spent almost all time to win on table.
For example, these 3 study poker on laptops or tables for several hours before playing everyday.It means that they review their plays of the day.
Further more, they said that they´ve read all books of the strategies.

I feel that the difference between the professionals and amteurs is the efforts with the enthusiasm. It´s common between poker, sports, arts & others.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Total posts
That's a Hard One

I believe the professionals are right maybe 51% or more of the time, while less sophisticated players may be right 49% or less of the time. There appears to be a fine line between the two, but it does exist.

Then again, I remember a group of professional poker players were once asked if they'd rather be skillful or lucky, and they all said lucky.

N

ntf1125

Rock Star
Total posts
The professionals learn all strategies.
Besides this, they effort to get lucks.
At the end the luck decides the results.

F

freestocks

Legend
Total posts
Professionals make a living playing poker.

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Total posts
A professional looks at everything broadly, reasoning soberly and long-term. Beginners often overestimate themselves, think short-term and are more prone to greed and emotional decisions and judgments.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
Good bankroll management, analysis of opponents, study, patience, persistence, among other aspects to be successful.

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Total posts
professional poker players have a good bankroll at their disposal. They are not afraid not to play a bluff, but ordinary people who eat bread, play more passively and come in with good cards, rarely bluff, prefer some profit and are afraid to hatch.

F

Flower2211

Enthusiast
Total posts
The biggest difference I think is their frequent check-raises. This technique is not often used by ordinary players who immediately bet with a good card, but professionals rarely play this way, reasonably luring their opponents into a trap, especially with the nuts on hand.

manuela2910

manuela2910

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
The proffesional Players See Better the opportunities of the cards.
Sorry for my english