What is the difference between a professional poker player and an amateur?

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the difference in the level of the game, the professional plays stronger than the Amateur and earns more money in less time than the Amateur, copes with the variance with minimal tilt, unlike the Amateur.

D

darcagegns

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Decision making, unpredictability, consistency. Professionals commit far less errors than amateurs.

Last edited:
ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A professional understands the many nuances of the game. An amateur things there is a formula, strategy, or luck that allows you to win.

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a professional certainly has a huge amount of knowledge that minimizes the percentage of luck. The player is an Amateur, playing more for luck than operating with some of their deep knowledge.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the difference between a professional and an amateur poker player?

The amateur player plays in his spare time and sees poker as a hobby he plays it to entertain himself more than anything for fun, although he would not feel bad if he wins a little extra money but he does not care if he loses a little because he does it for fun.

the professional player lives off the game and his income depends 100% on poker and takes it more seriously, the professional poker player has to study his game more in depth and try to improve it he has to invest a lot of time in study and practice.

You see poker as your job has to try to minimize your losses and maximize your winnings, you have to have a lot of discipline in your bankroll.

B

Beniciokgm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Come on for me a poker pro and that player who lives off poker and has his profession in poker and in the miserable amateurs we are the ones who play for the hobby for the fun and for the false illusion of thinking that we will win against the professionals who study the game almost every day :D

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A professional has much more study of the game, its probabilities, analyzes its sttack, its position and that of its rivals, knows about reading and mental game, the amateur only does it for hobbies or entertainment.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The difference is that he has money in his account earned and the amateur does not

miziel

miziel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the main difference is volume and time spend studying.
Amateur can be a really good player, but plays only when has time.
For professional it is a line of work.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A professional player takes the game more seriously.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I won't say anything new by stating that it is experience. Experience, knowledge base and analysis of previous mistakes.

rodo 2285

rodo 2285

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His bench, his game, his reading of his opponents, more playing time, helps you read them. Then also anyone can lose, the cards do not always help to win or lose 1 tournament

J

jeff1nx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The professional have the skills to adapt to any situation, but the amateur just play one standart of game, I think this is the more difference

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a professional studies himself, studies others, takes each game very seriously. But it is also true that no one started out as a professional, that is why they need experience, and for that, they need to play thousands of hands and it takes years to become professionals.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference is in the littoral definition of the two words.
Professional plays poker becaude it's their job. That's all the word means, in any field.

An amateur does something "for the love" of that thing.

Now, the likelihood of someone who does something professionally being better or more avcomplished at that thing than an amateur is higher, but it is not at all a certainty. There are terrible professionals in all jobs, and there are amazingly talented amateur musicians, artists, athletes, and even poker players. (And lots of former professional players who are now broke or on make up.)

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Professional poker players are a little bit better in the technical side of the game and a lot better in the mental side of the game.

Aguimonteiro

Aguimonteiro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first scenario that changes is the time dedicated by the professional to play and study!
I'm a recreational player, I study often to improve my game and be profitable, but I'm far from being able to devote the same time as a professional!
And as a professional, this player certainly plays a lot more than me in terms of volume, practices more, which will make him comfortable with spots I'm not used to.

On the other hand, whenever I play for fun, without any pressure/obligation to win (no matter what the objective) the professional depends on winning to make his salary...

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most important difference is the way amateur and pro player treat the game. Amateurs treat it as either fun hobby, gambling or part time job. Professional players treat it like full time job investing all their efforts and resources to constantly learn new things and improve their game as this is what gives them their money to pay the bills. As a result of these in the long term pro players always win more and top the charts compared to recreational players.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Persistance and a lot of study hours.

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This question is not for this forum, there are no professional players ))

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better actions. better sizings, better ingredients, better pizza.