what benefits do you think poker has?

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the biggest benefit of playing poker is that you learn to use your skill and power of concentration.

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Good entertainment and allows you to work on a lot of skills such as discipline. I appreciate most though for keeping the mind sharp and exercised - good for us retired old folks.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Poker has endless benefits and teachings.

It's great mental exercise and has many life lessons hidden within learning effective poker strategies.

For me poker is profoundly beneficial, and not purely monetarily speaking.

One of the many practices in poker which transfers exceptionally well to life is- not making decisions based on emotional responses. :wink:

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is good at teaching patience since you fold the majority of your hands.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the first advantage that poker players get is the opportunity to develop patience and discipline. Patience and discipline are the key skills of a successful player.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fun

Having a ton of fun and socializing with other people. You can shoot the bull with others. Capo1014

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think the biggest benefit of playing poker is that you learn to use your skill and power of concentration.

There are a lot of benefits from playing Poker, keeping your mind active is beneficial especially for us older players as it keeps the old grey matter exercised, also there is the benefit of Social interaction between players who would probably not meet in normal daily life, the game teaches us to be patient and disciplined when playing hands, and of course there is the benefit of extra Cash if you can regularly make the money and sometimes win.
I proved to myself that anything is possible if you put your mind to it, I once said to my local Landlord I would go to the next Regional Final in our League game, If I finished 1st and won the trophy, He just replied if I wanted a trophy that bad, He would give me the one behind the bar, to which I replied "That is not the same" "I want to win it, not be given one".
I did it that very season, and again in the following season, I have lost count of the number of times I actually qualified in 2nd or 3rd place, then given up my seat to another player, you have to understand that for me the important part, when playing Poker is not the money, but winning the game, winning the League, or winning the Finals. 2 out of 3 is not bad and the best I ever did in the Finals was finish 2nd so there is room for improvement.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker has endless benefits and teachings.

It's great mental exercise and has many life lessons hidden within learning effective poker strategies.

For me poker is profoundly beneficial, and not purely monetarily speaking.

One of the many practices in poker which transfers exceptionally well to life is- not making decisions based on emotional responses. :wink:

Well said. :D

In addition to this, poker has taught me how to be good at a practice. I mean a practice like how yoga is a practice.

Life is a practice. ;) Get good at it.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good time of day, I believe that poker does not give a lot of benefits in life, but they are! I believe that poker very much disciplines and trains patience, and these are very significant skills in life that everyone needs in my opinion! I'm a poker newcomer myself and I'm just starting to get into this game and so maybe I haven't really realized what other qualities poker can develop in life! This is personally my opinion and may not be correct, but so far I consider it so! I wish you and every poker player to learn more useful skills from this game in life! Good luck to everyone!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It gives work to the brain, that's for sure.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on the viewpoint. For some it can be important because it teaches patience and concentration, for others the benefit is just having something to do as a hobby, in short, everyone can have different benefits I believe.

Ashley Sleeth

Ashley Sleeth

Professional Poker Player
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many! The most important one for me is learning how to be confident in your decisions regardless of the results.
In life, bad outcomes are sometimes out of your control. Poker teaches us how to make logical decisions based on the information we're given and to not blame ourselves (or others) for any bad outcomes.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are so many! The most important one for me is learning how to be confident in your decisions regardless of the results.
In life, bad outcomes are sometimes out of your control. Poker teaches us how to make logical decisions based on the information we're given and to not blame ourselves (or others) for any bad outcomes.

I find it wonderful that you have taken this aspect of poker and found the parallel with "everyday" life. :)

Work on what you CAN control. :)

B

Bhzrd588

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two benefits, money and action!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, poker has had a positive effect on my ability to stay focused for a long time. In addition, poker also had a positive effect on my patience. In general, I think that thanks to poker I have become calmer and more positive.

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally entertainment and a source of income more

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am retired. Poker is a great game to keep my mind busy and active.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker does not provide any advantages. It is an ordinary toy for entertainment.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker made me to have more patience, not only to play poker, but also in my life.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
.... and the ability to make quick decisions, among many others

I

Inkydel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Entertainment and intellectual / brain training - keeps me grey matter alive.
+
Ability to poker face, and confidence in my read
:)

gery

gery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me is the cooling down effect important after playing hard hands with a lot of chips on the table, more in real then in online games

K

karaafrika

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In most cases, poker gives mostly illusions, but over time, with serious play, poker develops self-control, disciplines you, and becomes calm about winning and losing.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that playing poker develops patience and concentration. But all this is in vain if a lot of your time and nerves are spent playing poker.