From What Age Did You Start to Play Poker?

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing when I was about 12 years old, my mom taught me to play 5-card poker, then about 8 or 9 years ago I started playing texas holdem.
me too,
I have learned 5-card poker at ten, to many years ago

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the first time I played was about 16, but I started playing regularly when I was about 20.

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I star to play poker 13 years old !! But and now I learn poker I'm 26 poker is life ..and you learn more and more every day :)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty young, about 11 years old. My dad taught my bother and I around the kitchen table. Played for toothpicks and then for change. Looked pretty easy to me so my dad suggested we play for our paper route money. By the end of the night he both my brother and my money. We had to pay for the papers the next day.

Was a sleepless night, not knowing what to say about not being able to pay. He gave it back the next morning but that was a heck of lesson.

Last edited:
Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned to play when I was about 4 years old. My grandmother would dump out the penny jar and play with me and my brothers. We got keep anything we won. It wasn't until I was in high school when I started to play regularly.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't quite remember but I was probably no older than 10 years old when I first started playing poker (Five-Card Draw). I then moved on to Texas Hold'em when I was a teenager.

I still like playing Five-Card Draw but I can't find anyone to play with. :p

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I must have been about six or seven years old when I first learned how to play poker. One of the games we had for our video game system was Vegas Something or Other. One or two players could play against up to three computer players. You could choose from 5 card draw, 5 or 7 card stud or blackjack. I learned the hand rankings as far as what beats what from the instruction book. But my father was the one that started teaching me poker strategy. He explained that I didn't have to play every hand. He told me I had a choice right from the time first cards were dealt as to whether or not to play the hand. He gave me a few pointers about hand selection. He knew at that age I wasn't ready to calculate odds in my head, so he expressed it in terms of chances, like if I was looking for a 4 and one of my opponents had one showing, it lessened my chances of catching one. Over the years, I learned different variations of poker. My favorite had always been Hold 'em. But it wasn't until I was thirty or so that I started trying to learn advance poker strategy.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I first played poker with my brothers when I was about 14. At first, my brothers took all my "money", but I soon became the best out of the 3 of us. I played online for real money when I was 18.
I think i came out of mothers womb, with a deck of cards in my hand.

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
College age...

The bug to start discovering the world of poker was in my university days, at 25 years old. My interest was when I watched the EPT or wsop tournaments in Las Vegas on television. Sometimes I dream that I could enjoy the exotic trips and places that one could get to know while playing this beautiful sport. And who knows, to be able to achieve another livelihood for my family in this way.
I am currently 40 years old, that is, it is already 15 years that I am linked to poker, with ups and downs, but always as a couple:D:D

I

imhereforfreerolls

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the age of 10 i guess, I tried it and i instantly loved it.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
21 years old. I always liked playing cards and games like chess.

Highscoregodx

Highscoregodx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i started very young, 16 or 15 yo,playing for cents against friends at parties

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I began playing poker from age of 26 years old and was shown pokerstars from a work friend of mine and that got me inspired to start playing to create my own account.

dylangarcia3

dylangarcia3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From almost 12 years old, im 18 and i'm still playing!

Dalyn

Dalyn

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started in 17 years old and the reason why I started to play was my Dad he was playing Five Card Draw and I was trying to learn something from him :D

tagog

tagog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard that there is such a game, but did not know the rules. I started to learn this game and taught my daughters 9 and 12 years old. I was 43

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing with friends from 18 years old, from 2005 or 2006.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think i was like 20 years old. and i started because a couple of friends from work had home games and they called me once and since then i got hooked. we pretty much played almost every week. what good times that was

C

Chaskyweed05

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I met the game at 8 but started at 12

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I learn the game with 15, but start to play with money only after 21.

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started to get interesting playing about the time I watched the Gambler with Kenny Rogers! I was probably about 10 years old. The game on that movie was 7 card stud. Interesting game and although I didn’t fully understand it at the time, it still intrigued me. So, I’d play with my brothers and teach them and started to develop a liking for it. Of course my teen years saw other interests come and I didn’t revisit poker until I was in my early twenties. Then it became a good way to get together with buddies and still is mostly though I do play online a little more seriously now.

Fun to reminisce! Thanks for posting that thread.