I saw many hands in poker videos but they are notactually that unlucky at all.​

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a bad beat.

1/2 NL game at the Trop in Atlantic City about 8 years back.

I have A-X of clubs in position. After the flop of A-club-club and a blank on the turn one other guy and I start betting back and forth. Quickly we were both all in and there was more than $600 in the pot.

I turn over top pair with the A high flush draw. He turns over only a weaker flush draw. I was amazed but wow was I in a great spot.

The other guy stood up to leave the table. I politely told him, "Well sir, the 5 of clubs will give you an inside straight flush".

River card: 5 of clubs

You can go decades and not lose to a for real one outer. I managed to do it with $600 on the line.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bad beat is a hand in which a player who was clear favorite is overcome by a series of improbable events

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad beat is a hand in which a player who was clear favorite is overcome by a series of improbable events

I think the original poster was more questioning the clear favorite part. We've all seen people complain about a "bad beat" when they are talking about a 60/40 or less type situation. As far as I'm concerned if you're not at least 80% pre flop then you have no argument to call it a "bad beat".

People also, in general, go all in wayyyyyyyy too often pre flop. I get it in a short stacked tournament situation but there is a large portion of people who think that the entire game is a race to get all of their money in the pot when there are still 5 cards left to come.

Great! You're 80% with Aces. Do it 5 times and you're gonna be broke, yet it's a "bad beat".

1noname1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the video of the wsop 2014 Connor Drynan AA vz AA

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We should analyze if it was a bad, or we played wrong and for this reason we thought it was a bad.
Things happen without much logic sometimes in poker, one of them is this kind of bad that knocks you down

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beat - is the situation, when you loose the hand with better chances to win. Often happens in online poker. But if you will play well and make a distance in poker you will not focus your mind on such a things, like bad beats, bad luck and so on. Just try to play well, and everything will be alright.

C

C3H6S

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a bad beat its when ypur have monster hand and beat with better ...full vs poker in show down hahhaah u have a better chance to win but other pllyer win...this situation for two hand or two days

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got AA,
your opponent got TJ
flop A K 2, both all-in, river Q.
You had 97% to win before river, but your opponent win at the end for his 3%.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad kick is when you collect a combination of excellent 2 pair or set and a win of 80-90%, and the player comes a set older - - a flush - or a straight combination, this is a very bad blow

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got AA,
your opponent got TJ
flop A K 2, both all-in, river Q.
You had 97% to win before river, but your opponent win at the end for his 3%.

It's closer to 6 percent. 3 queens left times 2 (rule of 2) is 6. It's still a bad beat but, you've identified a common flaw in bad beat stories. People aren't all that good at determining their odds.

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
In a colloquial/amateur use of the term, a bad beat is any loss you take where you were your opponent took a risk that you assumed no sane human would take.

In the professional scene, a bad beat is also the same meaning BUT excludes cases where the winner of the bad beat hand was already on top.

An example would be you going all-in and bluffing on the river on a board where the opponent has only pair of seven and that is the lowest card and they call you. This is colloquial speaking a bad beat but professionally speaking a fair beat.

More interestingly, Ace high flush or top full house beating king flush or lesser full house respectively are not considered bad beats in the professional scene and are strictly referred to as fair beat cooler hands.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all in preflop.......just an example......

826de8cb39668d3eefd2b10ca395380d.png

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had one the other day that I consider to be a bad beat. Standard raise to me. I had KQ suited, flop comes KQJ rainbow. he bets, I raise, he reraises. so of course now we go all in. Happy, but not surprised, to see him with KJ only.
Of course river is a jack. I think this qualifies. His opening bet, small, was in no way indicative of a straight. no flush possible and even if he had AK I had him with two pair. so live and learn. only two cards could have helped him better his hand and sure enough one falls.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad beat is when you get it in while being a huge favourite but end up losing the hand.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It hurts in the soul. AA is always preflop favorite.

bash991

bash991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So when i am like 95 to 99 percents to win and comes that 1 card that change every thing then thats Bad beat

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
different opinions

There are many opinions of what a bad beat are and what the odds have to be to consider it a bad beat . But the cards are not what are important as much as the situation . If you have AA but waited till you had 2 BB to push then 5 callers call you and 72 os BB wins best to worst hands but definitely not a bad beat was the proper way to play both hands

So it has more to do with the way the hand was played in a certain situation so just to make it easier use the same 2 starting hands but you have the same stack and 72os wins this is a bad beat because the hand was played wrong and the one who made the horrible play won . This is the extreme but if you had AA and he had KK it's not a bad beat if K hits is just unlucky . So you really have to look at the way the hand was played more than what happened in the end

jhon24

jhon24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad beat is the way of the poker room to bring us down with the feet on the ground whem we think nothing's gonna stop us to become billionaries.

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats just don't happen on line, they were also very prevalent in the WSOP

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bad bet

• In poker, bad beat is a subjective term for a hand in which a player with what appear to be strong cards nevertheless loses. It most often occurs where one player bets the clearly stronger hand and their opponent makes a poor call that eventually "sucks out" and wins. There is no consensus among poker players as to what exactly constitutes a bad beat and often players will disagree about whether a particular hand was a bad beat.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello a bad blow is when you see that your opponent equals all your bets you think you are going to win and when you see the cards. You lose!!:D

vitalii029

vitalii029

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a great blade,but I could be wrong

vvalente

vvalente

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a bad beat if on the turn you had 70% or more chances of winning the pot. And it's also very much about the kind of hand you got into the game.