Welcome to the land of the free

A

andybee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
got this from an other site......

Mar 15, 2006 — WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. House committee on Wednesday approved a bill aimed at stamping out the $12 billion Internet gambling industry by stopping businesses from accepting credit cards and other forms of payment.

The bill, cleared by voice vote in the House Financial Services Committee, would prohibit a gambling business from accepting credit cards, checks, wire transfers and electronic funds transfers in illegal gambling transactions.

Unlawful gambling, under the legislation, would include placing bets on online poker sites, for example, and any other online wager made or received in a place where such a bet is illegal under federal or state law.

By making it illegal to accept payments from people who live where federal or state law prohibits wagering, the legislation would impact offshore gambling Web sites used by many Americans to place bets.

The legislation carves out some exceptions, including wagering on horse races, governed under another U.S. law, and fantasy sports.

The bill now moves to the House floor for consideration.

Major professional sports organizations supported the legislation, including the National Football League and Major League Baseball, saying in a joint statement that sports betting "threatens the integrity of our respective sports."

But Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Barney Frank, the top Democrat on the House committee, opposed the bill. He said Congress should not seek to control how adults spend their money just because some lawmakers oppose gambling.

"Adults are entitled to do with their money what they want to do," he said.

A group called the Poker Players Alliance opposed the legislation as well.

"It is disingenuous to oppose Internet gambling and then write a bill that makes select forms of online gambling legal," said Michael Bolcerek, president of the group.

U.S. efforts to outlaw Internet gambling also have been opposed by the Caribbean state of Antigua, which has been trying to build up its Internet gambling industry as a way to make up for sharply declining tourism revenue.

Andy Bee
wink.gif

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice post Andy....we no longer live in the land of the free that is for sure.
If you can't buy it then you have no rights in this place anymore.
I am (and will probably get slammed for this) extremely dissapointed in my country and it's leadership. People are to ready to bend over and take it up the ass here just because some lawmaker says they should. This is just another example of someone thinking they know better than you and there are to many people who agree that they do.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You're absolutely right, Freak. It's time we all stopped taking the system for granted and realize that these people work for us and are supposed to be the voice for the people, not out for their hidden agendas and own idealistic beliefs. Find out who your congressman is, and start writing, people! You can make a difference--but not if you don't get up and make a stand. Or do you like Uncle Sam telling you what's best for you?

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to agree with you all on this. Already in Mo. theirs a web site we go on to our State and voice what we would like. You know how that goes but I remind them every few weeks to see if their doing anything. Still waiting on response..lol..

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any good houses for sale close to you Chuck?:D

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol
trust me you don't want to live in my area :)....:(

El Viajero

El Viajero

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Woah, gambling really is restricted in the US. I like to use European sites so I can use my CC instead of neteller.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm certainly glad to see my tax dollars are going toward the salary of people who are tackling such vital issues as preventing adults from playing poker online instead of wasting their time on such petty issues such as poverty, education and health care.

As I found myself saying at the tables today, "Urggggggghhhhhhh!"

Best to beef up our bankrolls now before we're barred from depositing.

These people really need to get a life and a clue.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the good ole USA if they dont get there cut,( TAXES ) they get mad, here in the US its all about money, and if the Goverment isnt getting anything, our Represenatives get mad, Same thing is happening about getting ciggaretts from Indian Reservations, our goverment is fighting to get money from the Indians for the sale of ciggarettes, Thats our Government, if they dont get anything from it, there against it, plain and simple. buck:rolleyes:

gordo30

gordo30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got an email from my credit card company stating that they were going to add a charge for any payments into online sites in the future and that the money would be regarded as cash advances and the interest would be more.So i guess everyone,s into making money off the online boom and restrictions are setting in even in the UK.

JeeDub84

JeeDub84

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the internet gambling law would not affect candian residents?

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only some UK credit card companies are introducing a 'cash advance' charge for deposits for online gambling - others aren't doing anything, while some are treating it as a cash advance in terms of a higher interest rate, but not charging an advance fee. If you're getting both a fee and a higher rate, then the answer is simple - switch to another provider that'll treat you better.
The other approach is to make sure you can play reasonably well, make sure you have enough money in Neteller/Poker Sites etc before the changes come into effect, and then try to make sure that you never have to hit your credit card for poker funds ever again - that's got to be the best way to avoid being stung by the latest UK credit card changes...