Are We All Just Turn the Other Cheek Jesus Folk (Poker Psychology)

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the "psychology" that elite poker players "overcome"? Is it simply that you have to get used to your better hand losing? (I mean) yeah I'm pissed because my 99 loses to K4 and/BUT my K5 loses to 88. That's some BS. I'm supposed to take that in stride? Is it really that simple? If I can learn to think, "La di da, I was winning, but now I lost because I had TT and the guy with 49 got a 4 on the flop and a 9 on the river?", then I can be a winning player? Are poker experts saying that pros say, "Yippee, I'm gonna get that guy's money, soon?" and don't give a fishstick about the fact that their better cards lose, in the end? All day?
I'm destroying a guy and he goes all in w 67 and beats my TJ, then next hand he's all in with TJ and beats my 22. Is the professional response,"Just you wait 1000 hands, then we'll see what's up?"
Please don't be flippant.

T

Twobit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only way I can constructively answer this, is to tell you what I do. At least what I TRY to do. And it works for me.... most days.

First thing, I try not to count the number of beats I take from going outdrawn like you describe above. Instead, I try to take note of the number of times I suck out on someone else, and I take notice of situations where I would have gotten destroyed but good fortune saved me. Focus on the fact that I get good luck when I'm behind sometimes too.

It's our nature to stew on the bad beats, but treat our lucky breaks as fleeting moments of adrenaline, soon forgotten.

Second, if I have a bad run at the table I take a break. When I come back I pump myself up thinking that I've taken some unlucky cards, it's time for me to catch some. The longer the dry spell, the longer the good spell I have coming could be.

This all assumes that I don't think I'm making mistakes. If I was ahead when the chips went in, I view that as a victory. Results be damned.

B

bakang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Correct,
That's my question.... If I win tournaments, but each time I win, at some point, I was dominated BUT won that hand, Then .....What is poker psychology?

Because if pros are saying that the times THEY guess wrong, but still win, are the times they get paid, then I can understand how going a full day losing with better cards could be expected. Do they expect to lose with better cards? Then, when they do well, did they catch a break somewhere? Or, during the event where they do well, did the better cards simply hold up that ONE time?

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you truly believe K5 that loses to 88 is a bad beat, well then maybe poker is not a game you should invest your time in.

Do yourself a favor, stop playing poker for a few months and instead take up some basic Math on Probabilities. I am actually serious, understand the math behind the Probability factors of a 52 card deck before driving yourself crazy.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
If you truly believe K5 that loses to 88 is a bad beat, well then maybe poker is not a game you should invest your time in.

Do yourself a favor, stop playing poker for a few months and instead take up some basic Math on Probabilities. I am actually serious, understand the math behind the Probability factors of a 52 card deck before driving yourself crazy.

If K4 won then K5 is da nuts man!!!! :rolleyes:

:wavey:

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You see I can safely say NBB is harsh from experience however he does have a point in my opinion eggs k5 k4 and 94 93 72 Q2 are all unplayable hands and should be folded and if your going to play hands like that you need to be prepared to lose most the time. Of course there’s veriance like eg QQ should win 80% of the time however for me it’s more 50/50 you should stick to only playing premier hands and any suited connectors and pairs

P.s the best way to deal with bad beats for me personally is to take a break and just remember bad beats swing both ways you win some and you lose some it’s best just to remember the ones you win good luck at the tables