Watching Players Check to Sitters

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just in a .55 double up SNG on BetOnline, top 4 out of 8 double up. One player was sitting the whole tourney. Down to 5 of us, the short stack had the sitter to his left. I hate it when sitters just join and win by not playing. But I am not going to play his hand for him.
The other 3 of us playing had a good sized chip stack. I folded to the short stack a couple of times. And he folded to the sitter twice, then checked and lost the showdown twice. He kept raising us other players. Finally, no more Mr. nice guys. And we knocked him out after he tried to bluff the biggest stack.
I always watch out for sitters and usually don't let them get chips. I guess not everyone knows how to see the sitters? All you have to do is raise and they fold. That being said, sometimes a player will make believe he is sitting and then when you raise they will either call or raise.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hud players,,when you`re playing 10-20 tables you miss things.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is some strategy involved with keeping a sitter in the game and attack the other active players with small-medium sized stacks. Especially if it's near the bubble or there are some significant pay jumps.

By folding to the sitter and letting them pick up small pots every rotation to keep them in the game, but then attacking the active short stacks with raises to pick up their blinds/the dead money, you force those players to be coming in with strong hands. Otherwise, they're forced to fold most of the time because they don't want to bust out before the player with just 1-2 BBs that's sitting out.

You can easily pick up of 3-4+ pots preflop against some limpers and keep the stack slowly increasing. You get played back at, you let it go if you don't have anything to call with and lose a few chips, then repeat the process.

When I used to play SNGs, this is what I did on the bubble but against severe short stack (not a sit out). I'd fold my SB to them to keep them alive and attack the other stacks. Sometimes, I would whittle the other 2 players down so much, by the time someone got knocked out, they'd have 10-15 BBs only.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good strategy, I had not thought about it that way. That is the biggest reason for a forum like this. We get to learn why players do what they do. It makes a lot of sense to me now. I will be paying attention to doing this when the opportunity comes. Thanks.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good strategy, I had not thought about it that way. That is the biggest reason for a forum like this. We get to learn why players do what they do. It makes a lot of sense to me now. I will be paying attention to doing this when the opportunity comes. Thanks.

Indeed, im not a SnG player but learning something new can never hurt.

Anatoliy73

Anatoliy73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good strategy, very often it works.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hard to believe, that anyone can not raise against the afk player. Of course, sometimes i saw people who check and also fold against afk players, but looks like this people just new to poker, this is the only reason i think.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
not paying attention for sure. it is aggravating

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just in a .55 double up SNG on BetOnline, top 4 out of 8 double up. One player was sitting the whole tourney. Down to 5 of us, the short stack had the sitter to his left. I hate it when sitters just join and win by not playing. But I am not going to play his hand for him.
The other 3 of us playing had a good sized chip stack. I folded to the short stack a couple of times. And he folded to the sitter twice, then checked and lost the showdown twice. He kept raising us other players. Finally, no more Mr. nice guys. And we knocked him out after he tried to bluff the biggest stack.
I always watch out for sitters and usually don't let them get chips. I guess not everyone knows how to see the sitters? All you have to do is raise and they fold. That being said, sometimes a player will make believe he is sitting and then when you raise they will either call or raise.

It looks like you almost envy the sitters. Most likely you need to be more patient yourself.

M

Moe DeLawn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely playing too many tables to notice the sitter. seen it many times.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone doesn't notice another player sitting out, that means they aren't paying much attention to the game. That makes it much easier to play against them because they are going to be playing straight forward poker.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little off topic, but ever notice how often those players sitting out seem to win the all-ins? I find myself half expecting them to win with three other players in the pot and e1 else playing for the side pot(s). Grant it, the side-pots are typically much larger, but still...

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I forgot to unregister from PLO Sit-N-Go and I won 3/4 second place just sitting out....oh yeah.

joesta

joesta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No way sitting out and went to the showdown!
There is no way he was paying attention!
He would be thinking wow this guy checks fast he must have something good....

J

Jsmooth41

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing against sitters. especially when they are directly after me. Can pick up free pots and also play back against others who are trying to steal the sitters blind by repopping it knowing the sitter isnt going to go over the top of you

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe he didn't even notice at first that there was a sitout at the table, but then again that can happen to anyone.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Believe it or not, there really is a small window in which you can wait for the opportunity for a decent move, instead of shoving with any ace. Depending on the speed of the game, you will have at least one or two orbits to wait for a decent hand. Decent hands I think ace-jack and higher and a couple of dozen or more.

purple714

purple714

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sitters

One thing I like about ACR is you know when someone is sitting out. On BOL I've cashed while sitting out(disconnected). That doesn't happen on ACR. I think it's much better that way. You do need to pay attention if it's a site that doesn't show someone sitting out.