Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey everyone,

I get a lot of questions about becoming a poker pro and I feel there is a lot of sketchy information out there on the internet about what it is really like.

So I decided to write a big post based on my 10+ years experience as a pro about what it is really like, both the good and the bad:

https://www.blackrain79.com/2020/09/professional-poker-player.html

I hope this helps some of you guys out there who are considering going pro one day.

Cheers,

Nathan

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey everyone,

I get a lot of questions about becoming a poker pro and I feel there is a lot of sketchy information out there on the internet about what it is really like.

So I decided to write a big post based on my 10+ years experience as a pro about what it is really like, both the good and the bad:

https://www.blackrain79.com/2020/09/professional-poker-player.html

I hope this helps some of you guys out there who are considering going pro one day.

Cheers,

Nathan
I really enjoyed reading that, thank you for posting!

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice post, Nathan and I agree with your points and the common misconceptions about being a pro!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is a good article, I totally agree with you. Nowadays, becoming a professional poker player is very difficult and requires a lot of effort, so much so that many people find it easier to realize themselves in a bar as a bartender - it will be much more profitable and emotionally easier !!! The point is that most people who play poker are well aware of their chances of getting rich playing poker, but they keep playing !!! Many people play poker for fun and are even willing to pay money for it !!! If during your favorite hobby you have a small chance of winning money - great !!!

PS: 7 years i have been played social media poker for play chips just because I liked this game !!! For several years now I have been playing for real money and thanks to CardsChat I can practice my favorite hobby for free, for which I am very grateful to this wonderful community)))

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent for the moment I read a little like this above but from what I see it is a very good job !! I'm going to dedicate more time to it. Regards

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got about halfway through and excellent so far. Appreciate you sharing the experience. Seems most are so cavalier in thought about the ease and life of a poker pro. Grinding for years for me, it wasn't as easy as it was made out to be.

Gave me an appreciation for my job of 25 years. It wasn't as bad as long hours with some days nothing to show for it. Playing as a living would have taken the joy of poker away. Rather it stay a hobby that is enjoyed, rather than the grid of having to perform to make ends meet.

Again well done, can't wait to get some free time to finish the article.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you soooo much for wrote this article!!!

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the fascinating article. It's great to read an unvarnished view of professional poker. It seems it's not all bling and suitcases of cash :rolleyes:

If you don't mind, I'm going to post a link to it when I next see an "I'm turning pro" thread :)

I could quite easily ask you endless questions on the points raised in this article, but will spare you.

I just have one question on point number 8 ('many poker players are not rich') - do you think it is feasible for poker rankings to one day include buyins and staking so the real ROI can be known?

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What about health insurance? I wouldn’t ditch my crap job for even the ‘possibility’ of making 100k a year..even 200k...something happens and your effed..plus grinding sucks imo..poker to me should have soul and competition like Ed Norton says in rounders about grinding. But I do understand that grinding works for some people for sure, it’s all about balance imo what makes you happiest. Not at all knocking it, just not my bag at all.

Do you pay a high premium for health insurance?

I got an ear infection and the bill was 1280..I paid 20 bucks. Can’t imagine what a kidney stone would cost out of pocket, probably 60k.

Have a buddy that has lupis, showed me the statement for 1mil....he works at 7-11 for 12hr...and didn’t have/get insurance.

You have to be insane to want to be a pro poker player in America without getting contracted high paying insurance. If you leave the USA you can get away with it I guess, where healthcare is free/cheap and escape high insurance costs.

Last edited:
venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for posting, very good to read content like that.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Enjoyed the read Nathan thanks for sharing your honest insight into the reality of trying to live off poker alone.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
An excellent and informative article.

The poker industry - and by this I mean not just corporate poker but the well known pros - project a certain image of poker and naturally they cast the 'profession' in a positive light. Understandable from an industry point of view but I have always felt the top pros could be more forthcoming.

Recreational players now study and engage on a deeper level than players did in years gone by. They therefore also have a more sophisticated view of the industry itself and most rec players have a very good idea of the difficulties of being a poker pro.

Therefore pros could be a lot more open about their lives than they are. No one would think lesser of them or be discouraged from playing. In fact I think more honesty would engender a lot more sympathy for them. The top pros are practiced at appearing unfazed when getting knocked out of a super high roller for example. But it is a charade- smoke and mirrors- we all know they likely have a small piece of themselves and (as you note) if they win, will likely have a small piece of the prize.

However, having more of that world laid bare would be fascinating, even more compelling than at present - and so players should open up more.

So thanks for the honest insight, it is appreciated.

I

Isildurrr696969

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see you like to workout can you write your routine down for the gym i usually do push pull legs repeat

8infinity8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Real quality post man. This is the exact post most people have to read. It does help to know the hard truth we have to face, if we choose to play poker full time.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The open and real life of a pro player requires self-sufficiency and tremendous inner strength. Loneliness, swing in the game and stress break the weak psyche. As I understand these people need to constantly adhere to discipline and try to be positive in life.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you, it was very interesting to read.:)

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

Thank you, sir. A lot of thought went into that. Very interesting.
Dan'O