Is trash talk good or bad for poker?

jrutledge

jrutledge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm relatively new to poker, and I've been watching some highlight videos back in the day of Mike Matusow and Hellmuth and people like that. I've also been watching a lot of current poker tournaments, and allllllll of the table talk is super nice. I'm sure it's better when you're at a table that people aren't being toxic. As a spectator though, I'd like to see some trash talk.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There used to be alot of good humour and banter which sometimes boiled over.I think they are trying to promote a better image these days though.Poker used to be a table full of barely dressed drunk people which wasn't a great advert for the game.Also the new players into the game do take things far more seriously than they perhaps used to.

Last edited:
Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that players using trash talking poker destroy his image and spoil the atmosphere at the poker table. In the online game you can meet a very sick and vulgar trash talking.

P

Pete Ski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it can go too far at times. When there is an abusive player in the game it is no longer fun.

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but I think that you have to watch your speech when you play poker at the table ... you have to respect the players and people around .. but sometimes emotions prevail

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In live poker, conversations during the game help determine the overall intellectual level of the opponent’s development. That will help to choose against him the strategy of the hand of distribution.
In an online game, the conversation is simply not necessary and does not carry any information content in the game, especially when you play at a large number of tables.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe someone remembers the behavior of William Kassuf on wsop 2016? More vile behavior at the poker table is hard to imagine. Such conversations at the table harm poker.:(

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
To be rude to your opponents at the table is at least a bit stupid and not beautiful. It's just a game

D

Deemajor44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really dislike trash talkers that really try ro get under your skin or show how much of a *#%×& they are after a bluff or a bad beat but there can be a different kind of trash talk like kinda of joking about the situation now I do enjoy that and its more like how daniel nagreanu would deal with a beat know what i mean?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
During the game, I try to be focused and therefore I do not pay attention to conversations.
Good luck.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to joke around and make fun of people sometimes, but I definitely wouldn't say "trash talk" is good. If you're doing it with the intention of just upsetting somebody or venting about a bad beat, I'm sure most people at the table would just prefer you shut up haha.

kandauroff

kandauroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's distracting, so you always ignore

Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use to semi trash talk players when i first started playing cash years ago. I found that it actually got me a lot of action, action I don't get these days as I don't trash talk anymore. Sometimes I feel like starting it up again but I just cannot be bothered as it just makes you look like a total asshole. It may bring more action as people just want to crush the asshole in a hand, but Its not worth it in the long run. Just keep to yourself and play your game the best you can, plain and simple. Let the idiots be idiots and play your game.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There used to be alot of good humour and banter which sometimes boiled over.I think they are trying to promote a better image these days though.Poker used to be a table full of barely dressed drunk people which wasn't a great advert for the game.Also the new players into the game do take things far more seriously than they perhaps used to.

Yes, agree with all this!

There is a type which constantly moans and groans that newer players are not 'characters', that they pine for the good old days of poker. However, listening carefully to what some older generation players are 'missing' is the days when they could play against drunk players or angry tilting players.

The game and players have become more sophisticated and players don't present as easy marks anymore.

One of the most dreadful heads up I have ever watched ( I am sure many found this amusing) was Phil Ivey playing Gavin Smith. Its notorious as Smith is drunk or high as a kite. In spite of this he runs good and hands a defeat to Ivey. Not a good look for poker.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not care who says what, just do not touch me and do whatever you want!

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm relatively new to poker, and I've been watching some highlight videos back in the day of Mike Matusow and Hellmuth and people like that. I've also been watching a lot of current poker tournaments, and allllllll of the table talk is super nice. I'm sure it's better when you're at a table that people aren't being toxic. As a spectator though, I'd like to see some trash talk.
I do not like talking about play and I think the only thing wrong in poker, for me should be forbidden to speak.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I prefer a table where you can speak pleasantly pleasant without toxic people would be playing that way !!!

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really just depends on on the content, also in the manner it is released

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Undoubtedly, it is nice to have a friendly atmosphere at the table. But I play only online, so it does not really matter to me.

C

crymwolf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
some times all we are drunk and think that we are extra clever

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible to have time to think about one thing and chat about the other during the game?
They still have time to write a lot online! I do not pay attention to conversations - it is distracting! Sometimes I throw emoticons in response!

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When the joke is over so well, but when there are trash expression, it - lack of respect ...

A

AndreasM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I strongly believe that the trash talkers not only ruin the atmosphere, they are mainly the losers.

Have to give a big thumbs up for "ignore chat" option in online play.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Trash talking on-line doesn't really matter. In live play, it is a legitimate strategy to gain an edge if you are any good at it, of course within the floor rules. And if you are any good at it, it can be witty and funny. So even entertaining to third parties.

But only 1 of 10000 poker players can pull it off properly. So by in large, trash talking just ends up being bad on all levels.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people use talking crap, as a tool in their toolbox. I hate it. I block chat, so they cant get in my head. I played many live games, and have never encountered the rudenss on ACR. Ive been sucked into many fights, and therefore dont chat online anymore. Good thread.