Trackers, Bots, Sidekicks & Indicators

bagadonuts

bagadonuts

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From time to time I have received emails from different software developers specializing in different types of poker 'bots, odds indicators and sidekicks. You know, those things that attach themselves to your poker room window and do just about everything short of hitting the keys for you. I've gone so far as to download two or three of them and ran them for a trail period. Although I've found some of the information they provide useful I've also found them to be a huge distraction. If I'm to believe what I've read about them, they're totally capable of winning on a regular basis. Honestly, that doesn't sound fair...or fun which is mainly why I play. I enjoy the challange and therefore the resulting satisfaction of a win. I don't see how that satisfaction is possible if I'm leaving the decision making process up to the software. I've also read that their use is rampant and many online poker rooms restrict the use of certain types of this software. I'm wondering if I'm a fool not to accept and use what's available to aid my play and so I'd like to know what you guys think about this and if there is a particular program that you feel is fair and helpful. As always, thanks for your input.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had an odds calculator for a little bit. Like you said it was too much hassle and got in my way.
I wouldn't try a program that would cheat, or win for me. I have heard of some people using them and getting caught and all their money confiscated.
I have used an odds calculator offline while not playing to get an idea of different odds.

J

jonfelkin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got Holdem Indicator - Preflop it gives me odds to only call with AA everything else i seem to not have pot odds for. After the flop it keeps wanting me to call bets when i clearly no im beat with very few outs.

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got Holdem Indicator - Preflop it gives me odds to only call with AA everything else i seem to not have pot odds for. After the flop it keeps wanting me to call bets when i clearly no im beat with very few outs.

Fancy a game heads up ? :D

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds like you guys are looking at low end programs.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bots are illegal, although you should be able to beat a bot unless it is designed by:
1. a very good poker player
and
2. a very good computer programmer, able to program advanced logic, mixing up of play, and adapting to the styles of others

If a simple algorithm (which I believe is most bots) can beat you no offense but you kind of suck. Now the problem is the people who do suck, and instead of you taking their money, the bot's walking away with the money, and the person had to do practically no work. Most of the other programs are legal, but not very helpful. They do math for you, and poker is about more than math. They can be helpful if you're starting out, but to be good at poker you should know and be able to calculate odds in your head and know percentages for most situations. The 2 programs I use are pokertracker, which simply tracks all the hands I play, and PokerAce HUD, which uses that data to give me stats on the players at my table. I have pokerstove, a kind of odds calculator, but I never use it while I'm playing. Have heard about Texas Calculatem a lot, what exactly is it?

Boltneck

Boltneck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing, I got Texas Calculatum. I guess it is fairly useful for a novice, but you will soon grow out of it and it will become a hinderance rather than a benefit.

Bots are certainly banned by ALL sites. Stuff like Texas Calculatum is not allow by poker stars. The allow Poker Tracker and Poker Office, but not much else. Somewhere on their website is a list of what is / is not allowed. I thought this a bit daft really, because I'd never heard of most of the stuff that they don't allow, but was tempted to go have a look (I didn't download any of it I hasted to add)!! If I understood it correctly, they scan your PC and if they detect anything that's not allowed you get a nice email inviting you to get rid of whatever it is. If you ignore them, you're out (but you money probably isn't)! Not sure how legal / moral this is (or even if it's true) for certain. If I can find the link, I'll post back.

The only stuff that I personally use is Poker Tracker. If find it extremely helpful for analysing my own play. I tend to spend at least a few minutes after each session reviewing my play.

Boltneck

Boltneck

Boltneck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just found the list of what is and is not allowed on Poker Stars. I'll not copy it all because it's quite long. I'm not too sure of the rules regarding links, so would appreciate it if someone would confirm whether or not it is acceptable for me to post a link to the relevant page.

I have pasted below their policy regarding detecting of such stuff. I'm not sure I like the idea of them scanning my PC, and am not too sure of the morality of it either. Howeer, that's for another thread - which I'm going to start in a minute or two!!!

Boltneck

<LI class=que>What steps are you going to take to prevent players from using prohibited programs? <LI class=ans>We are going to look to see if any of those programs is running on a player's computer. If we find one of the prohibited programs, we will alert the player that he is running a prohibited program and tell him what the program is. We will ask that he stop running the program immediately. If he complies, fine. If not, then we will prevent the PokerStars client from running on his computer. <LI class=que>Are you going to look for anything else on players' computers? <LI class=ans>Absolutely not. Our sole interest is in protecting our players and our site from programs that we believe are bad for the integrity and fairness of our games.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how legal / moral this is (or even if it's true) for certain.

You know that long user agreement that you just skimmed or ignored and clicked "I agree"? You just essentially signed a contract allowing them to do that. You don't have to let them do it, but then again they don't have to let you play on their site. With your permission it's certainly legal.

A

artsluver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am newer to this poker world, been at it a month, could using anything like this actually teach me something and help me improve my game??

Cheers!

Poker Tracker 4 Review - Poker Tracker Guide