Too Much Poker ?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't begin to describe how much my game improved when I decided I was playing too much, and slowed it way down. Through most of 2006 when I wasn't working I would be at party poker playing multiple freerolls. If I was having a good day I had as many as 8 games going at one time. By sheer numbers I made some money there.

Then I found here, and got almost as much enjoyment reading about poker as playing. Almost instantly both with me reading all the articles and the reduction of quantity of hands, instead working on the quality of hands, my game jumped a level or 2.

Even early this year I would on occasion still multi table. But somewhere along the line I realized that tho the huge number of hands was good for getting a feel for the flow of things, it was not helping much along the line of what to do with that information.

Finally I went on Hiatus. Only lasted 6 poker days, but more than anything else I have done, it cleared my head of at least a few funky habits. During that I was active here, posting, and reading and still having fun. When I returned, I had a new appreciation for pot odds, hand odds, and position and I had done nothing consciously to get these aspects integrated. They were not perfected, probably never will be, but they allowed me to leap several levels.

Recently the only time I multi-table is when I end up doing really well, and some preregistered game pops up, and I am sort of forced to multi-table till something happens. I don't care to multi-table anymore. As the self proclaimed Flopologist I think I can generally tell how the flow is going.

I am reminded of Joe Hashems stroy about how he got good. It goes that he would work his 8 hours, come home, do the family things, then late at night get into an MTT or a few SnG's. This does NOT sound like he made poker a job at that time. Sure he could be bluffing us but it rings true.

At this point I am still hoping for real cash from real work. The economy will need to co-operate but I don't discount the possibility of a big poker payout, but till I jump a few more levels I can't expect it to happen.

By the end of the year I do expect a $1K win. I reached my goal of the $100 win last year, and there is no reason to doubt me reaching my new goal.

The economy will have to co-operate else I may find myself playing Too Much Poker!

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i wish u the best of luck in the new year
i hope u keep on learning and i also hope u get that 1K$ win :)

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i read in daniel N's book that playing too much is the number one mistake that poker players....mainly new players do....like your saying dj....he said to just slow down and if your having a bad day dont chase your losses....take a rest do something else then come back lateror the next day rleived and calm to take on the other poker players.

premierplayer

premierplayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That may be my issue. I do well but then I go on these huge swings. It could be just from playing too much.