Too good for this level?

N

neon_indian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Greetings people, i'm new here and i just want to ask a question. It might seem silly and i in no way want to sound condescending or deluded as im well aware im just an average player at best but i can't really explain my predicament any other way.

I lost nearly all my bankroll, i started about a month ago from 10$ and worked my way up to ~400$ playing 90 or 180 player MTT's. It all went well for awhile and then it started to go downhill fast. I just kept on playing fairly abc poker, by the book, tight agressive just waiting for the right moment but sooner or later i always ran into some donk with the same stack size who would inevitably put a bad beat on me and i'd end up broke long before even coming close to the payoff bubble.

After awhile i became pretty tilted by the streak so i registered into a 9-player 20$buy-in SNG and ended up winning it pretty effortlessly. I dismissed it as pure chance and went back to playing 2$ / 3$ buyin MTT's so as not to blow my bankroll (wich i ended up doing anyway) and now here i am, broke.

I'm just curious, i have this strange feeling i'd be better off just depositing like 100$ or so and playing the 10$ or 20$ tournaments rather than grinding yet again at the lower level ones since i observed a drastic difference in playing styles.

Am i delusional or is it a lot easier to make money at the more expensive SNG's as long as you play decent enough, people tend to be more careful and less crazy about their game when they don't play for chicken feed?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you are delusional.

You are right, there is a great difference of skill at different levels of buy-in, but maybe not quite as large as you want to believe. In many ways the higher buy-in games will look like they are treating you better. It is probable that you being new might mean no one has any read on you.

However, before you go blowing your wad, make sure you understand the prevailing wisdom about BRM (bankroll management). Under the guidelines that wisdom preaches, $100 is no where near what will support $20 buy-ins, unless you get outrageously lucky your first few times out. It happens, but to count on it happening is the key to poorhouse. You can't, nobody can.

That said, I am not a brm nit. I am currently playing ring games way over the level anyone would suggest, let alone approve.

If you have a good income outside of poker, and can approach it from an entertainment point of view, ignore brm, and go for the gusto. If however, you are like most of us, you do not own the money tree, and for that reason alone you should understand BRM, then at least you will know who to blame if everything goes to hell.

N

neon_indian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your reply. I know all about bankroll management, i follwed the rules religiously and i still lost all my cash buyin by buyin due to the chaos-type action i seem to come across. Every time after i bust out of a MTT i use a poker calculator to see exactly what my odds were and most of the times i was at least 60% favorite.

Everyone has a 'any-2-cards-can-win' mentality at the lowest levels and even though i know people who claim to play profitably within these limits i think it's way too crazy, variance rips you apart every time.

Either way, back to square 1 i guess

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For me, I would never deposit more than once. You already have it in you. You said you went from $10 to $400 in a month. Then if you were anything like me, you yell at yourself for not making money faster and changed your way of playing. Get back to what was working that made you go from $10 to $400 in a month or so. Then try that plan of using $100 of that bankroll to enter 5 $20 tourneys and see the results. Just like dieting, you can ruin in a day what it took a week or two accomplish.

M

mosseyAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you are delusional.

You are right, there is a great difference of skill at different levels of buy-in, but maybe not quite as large as you want to believe. In many ways the higher buy-in games will look like they are treating you better. It is probable that you being new might mean no one has any read on you.

However, before you go blowing your wad, make sure you understand the prevailing wisdom about BRM (bankroll management). Under the guidelines that wisdom preaches, $100 is no where near what will support $20 buy-ins, unless you get outrageously lucky your first few times out. It happens, but to count on it happening is the key to poorhouse. You can't, nobody can.

That said, I am not a brm nit. I am currently playing ring games way over the level anyone would suggest, let alone approve.

If you have a good income outside of poker, and can approach it from an entertainment point of view, ignore brm, and go for the gusto. If however, you are like most of us, you do not own the money tree, and for that reason alone you should understand BRM, then at least you will know who to blame if everything goes to hell.

I completely agree with everything said here. I have studied BRM religiously and do believe that it can help you a lot, but like dj11, i play a little outside of my boundaries. I have around $75 and have been playing very successfully at .05/.10 tables.

Sixes Full

Sixes Full

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing low level MTT on Full Tilt is your main problem.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You won 1 game pretty easily which is good but your not too good for any level unless you beat it. If you kept playing other players then they would get on to your game pretty fast be it through scouring HH using a HUD or just through solid poker reasoning.

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you went right from low level MTTs, which you couldn't beat, to a mid-level 9 player SNG? Because you won it, rather effortlessly as you put it, you think you've discovered the path to riches.

I guess you need only deposit $20, since you're clearly going to win every one of these you enter. Hmmm.

Or maybe you could get serious for a second. Perhaps STTs are better for you, because 1/3 of the participants get paid. But you can't realistically expect the kind of success that will let you ignore BRM.

Plus you don't seem to understand that MTTs are riddled with hands that will knock you out before you reach the bubble, unless you have more chips than the other guys. If you are all in as the favorite with 60/40 odds just twice, the odds are that you won't survive both of them. (3/5 x 3/5 = 36%)

I suggest you start with a small amount of money, hopefully won in freerolls rather than deposited. Play the low-limit 9 SNGs until you prove yourself capable of beating them. Then either go up in limits step by step or move back to MTTs with a better understanding of how to beat them.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Argee with ckingriches here maybe your play better suites 9player sng's instead of mtt's.If i were you if your going to redeposit anyway try the lower 9 man sng's for awile.

N

neon_indian

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you everyone for your replies :) i wasn't realistically going to get right into the 20$ stt's, i'm just thinking about alternatives, getting from 10 to 400 was made by first playing 1$ 45 player mtt's then 2$ 180 player MTT's and i won several of those and there i was. It didnt take long for me to go broke playing the exact same steaks though but now i'll try something different. Either way,thanks all for the advice :)

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with everything said here. I have studied BRM religiously and do believe that it can help you a lot, but like dj11, i play a little outside of my boundaries. I have around $75 and have been playing very successfully at .05/.10 tables.

Lol a little outside BRM.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol a little outside BRM.
50nl hu might be a little outside itself ummm.But then hell i can;t talk about brm myself i think it's a good idea untill i get stuck,up,even,or bored.

straytfrush

straytfrush

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you everyone for your replies :) i wasn't realistically going to get right into the 20$ stt's, i'm just thinking about alternatives, getting from 10 to 400 was made by first playing 1$ 45 player mtt's then 2$ 180 player MTT's and i won several of those and there i was. It didnt take long for me to go broke playing the exact same steaks though but now i'll try something different. Either way,thanks all for the advice :)

You may have just had a hot streak on those tables. If you've only won a few you should try a larger sample size and play more to see if you can consistently beat it. A few wins at 180 is definitely a BR boost, but can you do it consistently? It's been said before, if you can't beat the lower stakes your going to get eaten at the higher ones. If you can't beat a donk why would you be able to beat a guy who knows what hes doing?

Going 1 for 1 at the $20 level is excellent, but there are times when all your hands hold up and you seem to hit. It sounds like you've had one of those times. If you play more I'm sure you'll find they're far more difficult. Best of luck it sounds like you've had some good success so far.

5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I agree with everything you said, I think you should play in 9 player SNG's from $1-$3.30. I've tried following BRM in the past but just can't stick to because I get bored or just had a few bad beats. Well GL with your new BR and hope you do better this time around. :)

M

mosseyAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ignore brm, and go for the gusto

DO NOT IGNORE BRM!!!

I cannot stress this enough. I used to be the same way until I became enlightened. If you find yourself getting bored, multi-tabling is the way to go. I know that it is hard to get used to at first but it is definitely worth it. Variance in your results will disappear. Also, it helps with tilt. It is very hard to go on tilt when you are concentrating on so many other things.

DO NOT IGNORE BRM!!!

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the higher the stake the harder the game is. there is almost no such thing as people that play better at higher stakes, so yes you are delusional by your own words. very infrequently a higher staked game can play easier due to table dynamics but its possible.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you scored one big win at the higher level does not mean you should be playing them. The players there are better, therefore harder to beat, simple as that.

Nexus6

Nexus6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You won 1 game pretty easily which is good but your not too good for any level unless you beat it. If you kept playing other players then they would get on to your game pretty fast be it through scouring HH using a HUD or just through solid poker reasoning.

Your thoughts are so grey skies , please tell us what you do next after they have info on you and know your game ? what next ..

fstpmper

fstpmper

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to put in time and pay your dues before you start jumping up through the stakes. If you don't, you're setting yourself up for a big fall.

I would not suggest your martingale your losses when you redeposit because it will end in tragedy.

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
going from $10 to $400 down to nothing again in a month is one ridiculous wave. It sounds like you are playing wayyyyy out of where your bankroll allows you to play. If you are playing where you are supposed to be playing then it would take a hell of alot of bad beats to break you. Also MTTs have a huge variance so you wont even place most of the time.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your thoughts are so grey skies , please tell us what you do next after they have info on you and know your game ? what next ..

Go Borg and adapt too their play.

Lets take as an example a person who has problems winning a 5$ heads up sng against a fairly poor opposition what do you think his edge is against players who have grinded their way through the levels and learning how to play and counteract styles of play? Gray skies or not this is very misguided, to advise somebody its ok to go from micro play to 50$ games because they one game is just very silly, and even if they go on a heater sooner or later the skill tells and these people who beleive that they are a poker god get stung.

It has happened so many times somebody comes in says man I am crushing such and such a game and then you either hear them a few weeks later in bustoville or you never hear from them again because they dont wanna admit they should have followed the advice. In contrast there are many players here that started from the micros and studied hard and have acheived a level of poker that sometimes makes me jelous lol with their reads and calls.

Some one has info on your game then you use that to your advantage but the skills to that come from beating the levels and learning new things not starting off in the lowest league and then trying the superbowl final.

I remember reading a story in a Gordon book when I first started about playing Hellmuth and getting a big hand in an important game and stopping before he makes a move and thinking hold on this is what he would expect me to do, instead I shall............. Off tanget a little but I think you understand.

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u win one game I wouldn't think too much into it. Therefor a hugediffetence in levels but it's a big risk withsuch a small bankroll which is my problem. U get sucked out 3 times and ur left with a couple more buyins

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Follow BRM and stay within your limits.

One win at one level does mean you should move up to that level, unless you have the BR to sustain it.

I'm sure someone else can provide a more accurate number but IMO a 15-20% win ratio would be considered good in tourneys.

Go look up 'variance' to understand this better.

GL

:cool:

claudel

claudel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
same problem for me....i boost my bankroll and after a while i loose anything ..:( is frustrating..:(

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BRM FTW 100 buyins minimum. This is key to ever beating this game. But also studying some game theory wouldn't hurt. IMO it's important to play a proven winning strategy. If your consistantly getting it in good then your not playing correctly. The correct way of playing is often shoving weaker hands than that which will call you and depending on a thing cal foldequity. The truth is a good player will have a higher roi in the lower stakes even though the rake% is higher at these stakes.