Tony G! What a guy!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MrSticker said:
His show of asshattery was meant more for his remaining opponents than for the poor loser.

FYP?

Seriously, when people start describing stuff like that as 'brilliant', I really despair.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well as long as we are going to crucify people for acting ways at the poker table that we don't like, maybe it would be better to start a thread dedicated to that.

Here to start the list.
1. Josh Arieh
2. Phil Hellmuth
3. Mike Matusow (sp?)
And don't forget, this is a list of people that we are simply bashing because of our personal beliefs of how they are and who they are.
4. Mike Sexton
5. Phil Ivey
6. Johnny Chan (he makes the list because of that damn orange)
7. Doyle Brunson
8. Amarillo Slim

Everyone on that list is on there for a reason in my own mind. We are all going to have different lists. Some are longer, some are shorter but we all have them.

I realize this thread started about Tony G so that's why he is getting bashed specifically, but the bashing centers on his table image only. Yeah, he's an asshole at the table. But, you know what, he's a very successful asshole. So, in response to a previous post, if I was sitting at a table with someone and I thought that I could rattle them and throw them off their game by acting like that, damn right I would. As long as I'm within the rules, it's fair game. Do I act that outrageous normally at the table? No. But it IS about winning, so I would if I thought it bought me an edge.

**JD steps down off soapbox. (by the way, where the hell did I get this soapbox anyway. That's like twice today I gone off. Weird. It's like the monkey's paw or something.)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing is, do you necessarily think the 'showmanship' is to his advantage?

I've only seen it two times, admittedly.

#1 - That vid I just posted - he limp-pushed with A2 sooted. Awesome play!

#2 - WPT Paris - didn't he call all his chips off with J5 sooted or suchlike after his hours of rambling at Surinder Sunar?

Perhaps if he shut the hell up and played poker he'd find a better player in there somewhere. That sort of outburst wouldn't be acceptable in any other sport, so why should it be in poker?

Don't you think it's hilarious a person can get a 10 min penalty for dropping the 'f-bomb', but no penalty for completely going off like Tony G there or Hellmuth in last year's wsop?

Edit:

the WPT website said:
But seemingly having only one speed, the abominable Aussie proceeded to call Sunar’s all-in bet of 595,000 with J high! When Sunar’s pocket 6’s held up, he was back in the lead. Then Tony, tilting with Ts-8h, pushed in his last $810,000. Surinder thought long over his Ad-Js, and called. He slapped down his dominating hand with confidence, only to see the flop come Td-7c-5d, giving Tony top pair, and a huge edge! 6d on the turn, and 9h on the river doubled Tony up, and a singed Sunar sat down again, nearly sunk, suddenly dominated again by 1,708,000 to 346,000.

With blinds going up again, to 10,000, 40,000, and 80,000, Tony again proved prophylactic to his own profit, doubling up Sunar, with wired J’s on the very next hand, calling with Jc-4c!

Awesome play right here!

Last edited:
smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tony G reminds me a bit of the golfer Colin Montgomerie. He's pretty good elsewhere but can't do squat in the US. He's pompous and everyone hates him, but if he was doing well, they'd probably root for him a bit.

Tony G has no bracelets. Only made his first ever WSOP Final Table this year and only has 6 career WSOP cashes. He's not that good.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw him once where he had something like J-8 off-suit. He guaranteed to win the pot and he did. I've also seen him do it with slightly better (but still bad) hands. He has an awesome read and he knows the exact words to either get someone to call or fold. Sure maybe he's a bit crude but he does what he has to to win.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First time I've seen that particular footage, and I agree it isnt particularly pleasant.

I seen him play quite alot and normally it is just alot of talking about random rubbish. In fact that footage is the first time I've actually seen him like that.

In terms of the hand itself, I think it is a good bit of poker. He gives the old overconfident talk (giving a deliberate slight aire of false underconfidence), sees a raise come at him, and then without hesitation is moving all in. The Russian cant really call, but does, and in the brief second he calls you see Tony is gutted as he flips them over. If we forget the rudeness and the talk I wouldnt call this a bad play by Tony at all. I'm assuming it was a final table.

Point taken on the rudeness though :p

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Welly said:
If we forget the rudeness and the talk I wouldnt call this a bad play by Tony at all. I'm assuming it was a final table.
But that's exactly the point. I'm sure no one would argue that he is not a skillful player, but actions like that, in my opinion, are completely reprehensible. It's like Mike Sexton says, he needs to work on having some class.

Nick

Nick

CC
Administrator
Total posts
Chips
I've had a 30 minute phone conversation with Tony G and I thought he was a really nice guy.

Bit shocked to see that video now heh

PocketMG

PocketMG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tony G is awesome

On and off the table Tony G is an aboslute machine i think for this thread to of have started means that he is 1 up on all of you...ive actually played a few cash games with him on his site and he is just brilliant and what he does..talking trash or insults what ever it is it works for him and it works for him good. Monster lay downs and monster bluffs....and best of all i think he is awesome and inducing the call when his got a monster.
Overall very solid player and top bloke of the table..

P.S. in boxing you can taunt your opponent to get him off his game....Tony G has just put that into poker.