Tony G! What a guy!

I

Inner_Insomnia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I yesterday saw the WPT video "Bad Boys of poker II" with Mike Matusow, Phil Hellmuth and others.. But the winner and the most interesting guy of all was Tony G from Australia! Unbelievable guy! Mike the mouth was a little scared boy in front of him.. He speaks almost in every hand, make the others getting nervous but he is always concentrated to his game and plays great offensive poker... I really enjoyed him! Great guy and poker player as well..

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definately.

Despite all his chat and his aggresive play, he is perhaps surprising a very solid player. I've seen him lay down some monster hands (at the right time), that other lesser players would struggle to put down.

Glad he made a wsop final table. He deserves it.

Welly

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He won the European championship last September $250,000 in London and is (or was, haven't been for a while) involved with Pokerchamps site - where i happened to play him one day on a .25/.50c limit ring game.

Saw the name and thought 'yeah sure' but it really was him!! - proof? well he said everyone on the table would get $25 in their account - :D and so it appeared lol

He talks as much on line as he does at the tables as well, seems an ok guy but does get carried away sometimes and did overstep the line i think in series 2 of the WPT when in france.

Can play anything, does play anything and has done quite well from it.

IanT

I

Inner_Insomnia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't know that was involved with Pokerchamps but i know for sure that he has his own poker room TonyGpoker!! I have seen it and it is actually pretty good. I don't know if i can give the link but pokernews has a preview.. I think he plays twice a day online over there.. I would really like to meet him at a table! :)

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The only time I've seen him was at the WPT in France awhile back, and I thought he was an ass. Skilled player? Sure. Rude jerk? Absolutely. IMO the kind of behavior he displayed at the game is deplorable. You could see he was putting a few on tilt though...which must have been his game plan.

Welly

Welly

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He must of tilted thousands of guys with his patter. Always amusing to see a guy return from a break with earplugs in :)

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, I guess he's a pretty good player but I can't stand him insulting people especially with the damn british accent a grade A asshat in my book.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like his banter which isn't wrong but he does step over the line quite a bit with the insults, no need to insult people to get thier goat(that is just down right rude).

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Saw him on the telly a week or so ago playing headsup & he was suprisingly gracious when he lost a hand or in the end the match. One of the commentators mentioned that he was an arrogant ass only when he won. Maybe we could get Rob to work with him on losing with style.:rolleyes: :D

millarski

millarski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LetsGetItOn said:
Hmm, I guess he's a pretty good player but I can't stand him insulting people especially with the damn british accent a grade A asshat in my book.

Isn't his accent a mix of greek/cypriot and australian?

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This guy makes Americans look good. And that's a damn hard thing to do!

cascat

cascat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He was way too rude in WPT France. Biggest jackass I've seen in a long time.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
His accent i would say is Australian -

He was born in Lithuania (an old part of Russia) but was brought up in Australia.

Which would explain the confident / competitive / arrogance (delete where applicable :D} you see on the tables.

IanT

B

BigFish007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe there are those of you who actually like Tony G. He is just a bad player in all respects. Yes he puts the guys off at the table. He is a loony. He insults everyone.

To what cause...

How many great players are there out there. Hundreds right. How many act like Tony G? Mike Matusow, Phil Hellmuth...not really. I would guess to say there is only one G.

You can be a great player without the loser mentallity of G. He just brings the game down.

Enjoy the game, play hard and be yourself...but don't envy a guy like Tony G. The game is doomed if you do.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Really guys, who cares what kind of accent he has?? A jerk is a jerk no matter where they're from.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
juiceeQ said:
Really guys, who cares what kind of accent he has?? A jerk is a jerk no matter where they're from.
I AGREE, i dont like him either,, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. buck:hello:

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard he's the coolest guy away from the table. As far as I can tell, he has no symptoms that cause his rudeness like ADHD or inflated ego (IE: Matusow & Hellmuth).

So I was thinking. If someone said "OK. In order to win this half-million dollar tournament, you have to be a total jerk because your opponents' skill is about equal to yours and you have try to tilt them.", would you do it?

I think I might. The possible $500K just might turn me into an ass at the table. So Tony G. may be a jerk, but I think he's pretty smart.

I

Inner_Insomnia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
millarski said:
Isn't his accent a mix of greek/cypriot and australian?

Lol... Sounds greek to you? Cause i am Greek and when i am hearing Tony G think is Japanese/Scotish.. :)

F

Frodiggity

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say hes got the biggest mouth out of all, bigger than Hellmuth or Matusow. Tough player, but bigger mouth

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The impression I get of him is that he's a solid player, with an annoying table talk act to give him an advantage... sure, we like to have a pleasant game at the tables, but in reality at a major tournament, particularly the later stages, people are there to win money, and so long as its within the rules, you can be as much of an ass as you like.
It does mean that he's less likely to have lots of people wanting to buy branded merchandise off him, and he's less likely to get commentating deals or the like, so he'll lose out away from the table. I'd rather see someone like Greenstein come out ahead any day, but you still have to give some respect to a good poker player, especially when they're able to tilt highly experienced pros.

M

ma77th3gr34t

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My wife watched him on tv and her exact words were if i was ever at a table with him i would either throw my drinkl at him or kick him in the.......I will let you figure that one out. He is the most unreal player and cnt believe that he is not constantly penalized t the tables.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I don't condone many of his antics, he isn't much worse than a lot of other televised final table players. Once you get past the comments and goading, he is acutally a very solid player. He makes some great reads on people, fold huge hands when he is beaten, and pulls off huge bluffs. And he is obnoxious enough to get people to call him when he has monster hands.

So even if I don't like what he does, he exploits the pyschology of poker to his advantage and profits from it. Can't fault him for that.

10Ace

10Ace

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
juiceeQ said:

I honestly don't think TonyG is a jerk and that he just wants to get inside of player's heads. Back when he played on pokerchamps I played a sit n' go with him and he was actually very nice and congratulated the person who knocked him out.