Status
Not open for further replies.
SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love that they didn't run it twice or anything. I hate that they usually just end up running the huge puts twice or even three times and they end up chopping the money, it's not very exciting to watch when they do that.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'Do you w-wanna take a coupla hundred out?'
'No.'

Soooo cool lol

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched that on tv not to long ago.
I think that was about the third time dwan beat up on barry that night.
It is crazy to watch dwan play,love his style/

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
must be nice to be tom dwan

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it`s amazing his skills

Although I agree his skills are amazing, this hand doesn't exactly showcase them. Doesn't take a genius to felt TP with a flush draw when you flat a 3-bet with KQs. Maybe the amazing skills part was winning the 900k+ flip?

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I agree his skills are amazing, this hand doesn't exactly showcase them. Doesn't take a genius to felt TP with a flush draw when you flat a 3-bet with KQs. Maybe the amazing skills part was winning the 900k+ flip?

The amazing part of the hand to me is that he was unwilling to take a couple of hundred grand off the table on a flip.

Snow :cool:

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tom Dwan is a spectacular player but he's also a word I can't say.

I understand barry not wanting to run it twice, because the chances of Tom hitting if they run it twice is huge, durrr was stubborn and refused to take the couple hundred grand out of the pot, he is lucky it worked in his favor.

And I agree with the posters above me, although very skilled this video showed his skills in winning coin flips.

Bernard Pugi

Bernard Pugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW! so lucky with that. I thought he's going to get the Flush instead three of a kind. Nice

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tom Dwan is a spectacular player but he's also a word I can't say.

I understand barry not wanting to run it twice, because the chances of Tom hitting if they run it twice is huge, durrr was stubborn and refused to take the couple hundred grand out of the pot, he is lucky it worked in his favor.

And I agree with the posters above me, although very skilled this video showed his skills in winning coin flips.

Wait how is it stubborn to do it how it's normally done? If you can't handle losing 500k why sit 500 BBs deep at a 500/1k game? I've flipped for my buy-in a million times (ok not quite), if they're sitting with it why can't they? And it was Barry who in the first place refused to run it more than once which is what they normally do.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I seen it when it aired on GSN, did you see how much Greenstein was shaking HaHa that was funny. Pkt aces get cracked all the time, even live! The same kind of plays & beats happen live/same thing happens in internet poker so all those who think online is rigged just watch this hand & it should quiet you (@ least for a moment til your next bad beat HaHa).

joos

joos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they had Barry on the 2+2 pokercast and he was talking about how he doesn't like running it multiple times because people just start to jam draws which then they can get max FE and get to run it multiple times when called. when they know a guy like barry wont run it more than once, then that is no longer the case.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they had Barry on the 2+2 pokercast and he was talking about how he doesn't like running it multiple times because people just start to jam draws which then they can get max FE and get to run it multiple times when called. when they know a guy like barry wont run it more than once, then that is no longer the case.

I don't understand this at all does he not get that running it multiple times doesn't change the ev?

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has a point, it doesnt change the EV but it does change the chances of losing your stack. Running it multiple times just decreases variance(as you know) so people who cant really afford the variance hit, which to my knowledge is quite a few of the people on the show, would rather run everything twice which usually makes these hands most likely to split. People will be more aggressive if they think they can run it multiple times if called since they probably wont lose it all if they are called.

So Barry doesnt do it due to the one time, its more of a metagame move telling everyone if you shove and I call we arent running twice. Since he can afford it and others cant he thinks it makes people less willing to shove draws on him.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh ok that makes sense so basically he makes it so other people against him basically are playing scared money which we all know is not a very good strategy to winning in a game lol.

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, and going back to your earlier question about dont play if you cant afford it, I think some players have their reasons. It can be super +EV to play in these games, not only because they are super soft for the stakes but the exposure can lead to big deals with poker sites(plus the ego boost which is not a good reason but w/e).

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barry never runs it twice, in the past he has refused running it more than once even when behind, it's just the way it is with him.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He has a point, it doesnt change the EV but it does change the chances of losing your stack. Running it multiple times just decreases variance(as you know) so people who cant really afford the variance hit, which to my knowledge is quite a few of the people on the show, would rather run everything twice which usually makes these hands most likely to split. People will be more aggressive if they think they can run it multiple times if called since they probably wont lose it all if they are called.

So Barry doesnt do it due to the one time, its more of a metagame move telling everyone if you shove and I call we arent running twice. Since he can afford it and others cant he thinks it makes people less willing to shove draws on him.
This makes sense but why does he ask to take back a few hundred K then?
His willingness to take back half the pot or w/e surly just has the same effect as running twice, people just think "I might go all-in for 500K but Barry will probably agree to take back 200k so im still rolled".

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One difference would be that running it twice doesn't guarantee a split but taking back say 30-40% of total bets does guarantee you 30-40% of your bets.

widowmaker89

widowmaker89

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there is a difference in that running twice doesnt change the EV for anyone and taking money out does. In this case it was 50/50 so its pretty much the same thing but I guess Barry thinks taking money off keeps his image of never running twice. I doubt Barry is rolled for million flips so thats probably why he wanted to take some off. I heard Dwan thought he was like a .3% favorite and declined but that could be BS so who knows.

Deltafrost

Deltafrost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there is a difference in that running twice doesnt change the EV for anyone and taking money out does. In this case it was 50/50 so its pretty much the same thing but I guess Barry thinks taking money off keeps his image of never running twice. I doubt Barry is rolled for million flips so thats probably why he wanted to take some off. I heard Dwan thought he was like a .3% favorite and declined but that could be BS so who knows.

Greenstein said in an interview that Dwan said something along the lines of "Well I'm a 50.275% favorite to win the hand" right after Greenstein said just run it once.

Dwan definitely knows his poker.

M

mickyb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greenstein said in an interview that Dwan said something along the lines of "Well I'm a 50.275% favorite to win the hand" right after Greenstein said just run it once.

Dwan definitely knows his poker.

Dwan was actually a slight underdog (49.8%)

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait how is it stubborn to do it how it's normally done? If you can't handle losing 500k why sit 500 BBs deep at a 500/1k game? I've flipped for my buy-in a million times (ok not quite), if they're sitting with it why can't they? And it was Barry who in the first place refused to run it more than once which is what they normally do.

I'm saying he was stubborn in that the only reason he did not take the couple grand out, is in spite of barry not agreeing to run it twice.

And personally, no offense, but I try not to flip for my buy-in, why put your max buy-in money in the hands of the cards, instead of the hands of yourself.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dwan was actually a slight underdog (49.8%)

Didn't this factor in folded cards? I think from his pov he was a slight favorite. Could be wrong though.

Deltafrost

Deltafrost

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm saying he was stubborn in that the only reason he did not take the couple grand out, is in spite of barry not agreeing to run it twice.

And personally, no offense, but I try not to flip for my buy-in, why put your max buy-in money in the hands of the cards, instead of the hands of yourself.

because its profitable?

If EV + Fold equity>0 its a profitable play. Its not about what happens that hand but what happens in the long run.

read https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/anatomy-downswing-107305/ and it will help put it in better terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.