Time Bank Near the Bubble

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i really think time bank should be abolish in that stage of the tournament because players take advantage by running the time off, and wait for the other players to get eliminated, and i dont think thats fair at all. why pokerstars, full tilt or any other poker site give players so much time to act knowing they will use this time for their own advantage, and to disfavour others? also hand for hand should start when they are 4 or 5 players remaining not just one or two but thats just my opinion,

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why should hand for hand start with 4 players left until bubble burst? The purpose of playing hand for hand is to prevent 2 busts at the same time, Therefore each table plays a round of hands and play is paused(at the end of the hand) until completion of all hands(all tables) hence the term "hand for hand"

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why should hand for hand start with 4 players left until bubble burst? The purpose of playing hand for hand is to prevent 2 busts at the same time, Therefore each table plays a round of hands and play is paused(at the end of the hand) until completion of all hands(all tables) hence the term "hand for hand"

lol i like your argument.you said the purpose is to prevent 2 busts at the same time like its impossible that 3 or 4 players get busted at the same time, especially on large field tournaments. the hand for hand makes almost useless the extended use of the time bank because assuming you take the entire minute to play, you will have to wait for all the players to finish the hand.
Also if 2 players busts at the same time the player who has the most chips before getting bust wins the money. i dont know what happens if both players has the same stack....

Last edited:
dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trust me... I know if they bust at same time the one with more chips gets paid... They try to prevent/minimize that situation from happening at every table right while your on the bubble. Am I wrong??? The purpose of waiting at the end of every hand until the completion of all hands is so that players cant time out(which they still do but it pointless) while the other players are getting hands and being blinded.

So obv you're one of those players who times out while playing hand for hand because they don't understand the purpose of it.

Last edited:
zegaum

zegaum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It may not be fair, but while it exists, we must know how to use it. If you get near the bubble with a few chips, better hope someone burst to catch at least the buy-in back.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stated that first post incorrectly and its too late to edit. They play hand for hand so players cannot timeout, and they get hit with just as many antes/blinds as every other player in the tournament and see the same amount of hands as all remaining players(opposed to being able to hold your hand for your whole time bank while other tables are getting new hands and being charged more antes/blinds)

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i really think time bank should be abolish in that stage of the tournament because players take advantage by running the time off, and wait for the other players to get eliminated, and i dont think thats fair at all. why pokerstars, full tilt or any other poker site give players so much time to act knowing they will use this time for their own advantage, and to disfavour others? also hand for hand should start when they are 4 or 5 players remaining not just one or two but thats just my opinion,

Hey rock, the more I think about your statement, The more I agree they should abolish the timebank at that stage in the game, but that will do nothing but take time away from players who have legitimate reasoning for needing more time. The players that do run their whole time bank off aren't getting any advantage at all, they might think they are but in all reality the're getting blinded just as much as every other player at every other table. So... as much of a good idea as it sounds(abolishing timebank on the bubble), it will accomplish nothing but prevent the noobs from (uselessly) using their whole time bank.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First of all, you don't have to tell us "That's just my opinion" because we know it's your opinion, since you wrote it. Second, the time bank is there and can be used up whenever a player wishes, including yourself. It is fair because everybody starts with the same amount of time.

Hand for hand at 5 players is a terrible idea and this would actually hurt the short stacks. It creates awareness way earlier that the bubble is approaching.

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whatever it takes to cash its all about winning money, is it annoying yes, but i understand the thought process behind it so it is what it is

trekmaster

trekmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The opertunity to use the clock is for all players. If someone uses all their time then that is their right to. You to have the same right to use yours to make the blinds higher for their next round of blinds. Using the clock is a double edge sword. Sure it might help them make it to the money but it also makes chip value decrease as the blinds go up by the minutes that pass.

S

shaazy712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think hand to hand should start when 10 players are left from the bubble.it will give a more fair chance to the low stack.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, you don't have to tell us "That's just my opinion" because we know it's your opinion, since you wrote it. Second, the time bank is there and can be used up whenever a player wishes, including yourself. It is fair because everybody starts with the same amount of time.

Hand for hand at 5 players is a terrible idea and this would actually hurt the short stacks. It creates awareness way earlier that the bubble is approaching.

first of all i dont need an english lesson from you. i wanna see you posting in spanish or any other language without any mistakes ( assuming you have always lived in usa of course)

Second if you use your time bank on purpose thats just wrong as you are harming other players as well by not playing because the blinds are going to increase quickly and people in your table wont play many hands during that period.
Maybe you dont care about other players, and you shouldnt of course but keep in mind that medium and big stack players are scared to risk their chips because they think its unfair to lose on the bubble when very smaller stacks just waste lots of time in playing and they dont risk anything. so please dont tell me this is a valid strategy because its not. Time bank wasnt created to spend it just near the bubble. and poker isnt chess anyways, giving 10 or even 15 seconds of extra time in every hand should be more than enough to play not the whole 90 seconds or even more.
The awareness of the short stack... i mean are you serious?. they are already very aware that the bubble is aproaching, thats the reason they run off the clock when there are few players to enter ITM. thats just my opinion or like you say my 2 cents right?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all i dont need an english lesson from you. i wanna see you posting in spanish or any other language without any mistakes ( assuming you have always lived in usa of course)

Second if you use your time bank on purpose thats just wrong as you are harming other players as well by not playing because the blinds are going to increase quickly and people in your table wont play many hands during that period.
Maybe you dont care about other players, and you shouldnt of course but keep in mind that medium and big stack players are scared to risk their chips because they think its unfair to lose on the bubble when very smaller stacks just waste lots of time in playing and they dont risk anything. so please dont tell me this is a valid strategy because its not. Time bank wasnt created to spend it just near the bubble. and poker isnt chess anyways, giving 10 or even 15 seconds of extra time in every hand should be more than enough to play not the whole 90 seconds or even more.
The awareness of the short stack... i mean are you serious?. they are already very aware that the bubble is aproaching, thats the reason they run off the clock when there are few players to enter ITM. thats just my opinion or like you say my 2 cents right?

¿Quieres participar en un torneo que era la mano de la mano todo el tiempo?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
¿Quieres participar en un torneo que era la mano de la mano todo el tiempo?

lol keep practicing, my comment was logical i was just redundant, your comment is a complete nonsense

Last edited:
J

JFKblownaway

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Activating time bank near bubble is ok with me, I've done it plenty of times myself. What really bothers me is these people who take they're 10-15 seconds EVERY HAND of tourney before they fold....drives me nuts I mean who does that?

Last edited:
P

packernation85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree completely. the time bank is so unnecessary

M

miguel_me277

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well sometimes you need time to make a difficult decision so I'm not agree with you

Theromeo2k

Theromeo2k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Instead of getting rid of the very necessary time bank... They could implement the same rules that the wsop Main Event has in order to prevent people from stalling at that stage of the tournament. Basically, the rule says that Near the money Bubble, tables must stop running whenever a hand is over and wait until someone is knocked out to proceed to the next stages. Then, repeat the process until the bubble burst.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Removing the time banks would only make it "unfair" to the players who have a decision to make late in a MTT.

It's not really unfair anyway as all players can do this, its not like only a select few have the option to run out the time.

I actually prefer hand to hand play because it does eliminate the stallers and I hate when people stall..

Also.. If a player is stalling because he/she is worried about getting knocked out of a tournament he or she is probably usually a losing player. Stalling only hurts the staller (along with everyone at the stallers table) by stalling you are seeing less hands and giving yourself a lesser chance at doubling up.

Playing MTT is not about not bubbling and it is not about not cashing MTT's are about getting top 3 if not 1st where all the money is. If you want to be a winning player in MTT you need to play for first and not play for ITM

Stallers stop stalling you are just hurting yourself and making me angryyyy

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Removing the time banks would only make it "unfair" to the players who have a decision to make late in a MTT.

It's not really unfair anyway as all players can do this, its not like only a select few have the option to run out the time.

I actually prefer hand to hand play because it does eliminate the stallers and I hate when people stall..

Also.. If a player is stalling because he/she is worried about getting knocked out of a tournament he or she is probably usually a losing player. Stalling only hurts the staller (along with everyone at the stallers table) by stalling you are seeing less hands and giving yourself a lesser chance at doubling up.

Playing MTT is not about not bubbling and it is not about not cashing MTT's are about getting top 3 if not 1st where all the money is. If you want to be a winning player in MTT you need to play for first and not play for ITM

Stallers stop stalling you are just hurting yourself and making me angryyyy

lol calm down for your own good......
well it depends, some players just want to cash in MTT, i know its not the right strategy, but thats how it is especially when you are short stack.
I have done this myself, not because i wanted but because every short stack player on the tables stall as well, so if i play faster as i really want.. guess what? i wont probably win a single dollard. so in order to make things fair tables should be playing hand for hand when there are at least 4 or 5 players left to be ITM, even 9 players would be great especially on large field tourneys. keep the time bank, but make hand for hand tables sooner.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
lol calm down for your own good......
well it depends, some players just want to cash in MTT, i know its not the right strategy, but thats how it is especially when you are short stack.
I have done this myself, not because i wanted but because every short stack player on the tables stall as well, so if i play faster as i really want.. guess what? i wont probably win a single dollard. so in order to make things fair tables should be playing hand for hand when there are at least 4 or 5 players left to be ITM, even 9 players would be great especially on large field tourneys. keep the time bank, but make hand for hand tables sooner.

Ridiculous

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me this is like having six in hand and half a dozen in the other. I can understand why players with below average stacks would want to stall in the hopes that the extreme short stacks will get knocked out.

One of the things that puzzles me though, is the timing of it. It seems to me that the time to start stalling is when there are five or six players to be eliminated before the bubble, maybe even further out in tournaments with bigger fields. I see alot of players that start stalling a long way from the actual bubble. To me this is a waste of valuable tournament time, preventing players from seeing hands before the blinds escalate. I also see players that continue to stall after hand for hand play has gone into effect. Again this would seem to be a waste of tournament time, hindering players from seeing hands before levels increase.

This stalling would seem to me to be most detrimental to the shorter stacks, particularly those below the bubble cutoff number. For instance, if you were in 7th place, with 27 players left in a tournament where 23 places are paid out, I could see stalling in the hopes that the shortest stacks would get knocked out before the bubble is reached. But if you're in 25th place in this same scenario, you could always hope that the guy in 15th will get knocked out by the guy in 3rd place. It could happen, but I wouldn't count on it happening. Instead I would be hoping to see as many hands as possible in the hopes of catching one that I could double through somebody with.

My preference is always to see more hands before blinds go up and reduce the value of my stack. If I'm sitting on a top ten chip stack, then it's business as usual for me. I often sit there wondering if the guy next to me, sitting on the short stack realizes that his 8xbb is about to become 6xbb and be more likely to be called when he does decide to make a move. Does he realize that his stalling is only hurting him. I'm still going to be sitting on 35x and able to play my game. I don't let it bother though. I don't care for it, but I accept it as part of the game.

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol keep practicing, my comment was logical i was just redundant, your comment is a complete nonsense

I guess I will ask you in English.
Would you play a tournament that was hand for hand from the beginning?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess I will ask you in English.
Would you play a tournament that was hand for hand from the beginning?

of course not!. Just wanted to play a tourney in which hand for hand stars when there are 4 or 5 players left to be ITM.