Tight or Loose

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does your playing style change as the phases of the game changes from early to later in the game.
I tend to play fairly tight in the early part of the game. The reason for this is because a lot of players will play any sort of rubbish, because the bets are quite low and they play more hands. In the later part (if I'm still in) I loosen up a bit, because the bets have increasd and most players now think twice about entering the hand.
How do you play?

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Style will change depending on a lot of factors. Such as position , players at table, actions of players, tourney or cash game, and as long as the dealer is not an ex-wife I might just play any two cards. Ha Ha

Robin Moura

Robin Moura

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always aggressive game to win more pots and when closing the bubble becomes easier

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also loosen up the less players at my table. Sometimes in the middle of a tourney you might have significantly less players than a full table and I think it makes sense to loosen up then, because it's just less players likely to have great hands.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The right answer always seems to be "it depends". Today I played loose 1st hand of a game. I was UTG, dealt AQo, was making lunch and just heard the toaster pop. So I shoved and went off to make my sandwich. Came back to find that I had tripled up. Nice! Played tight for the next two hours till the final table when I loosened up and won. Top 4 places took a ticket to the Sunday Storm.

I had been following a player who was very loose (VPIP ranging from 50% to 65% the entire game). I HAD to follow him since he was sitting right next to me for the first hour and a half. He was in the top 1 - 6 for most of the game but in the end he lost. Mind, that said, the second loosest player in the game won a ticket as well.

I don't understand it but playing super-loose seems to be a winning strategy a lot of the time. For some people anyway - it's never worked for me.

Last edited:
SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The right answer always seems to be "it depends". Today I played loose 1st hand of a game. I was UTG, dealt AQo, was making lunch and just heard the toaster pop. So I shoved and went off to make my sandwich. Came back to find that I had tripled up. Nice! Played tight for the next two hours till the final table when I loosened up and won. Top 4 places took a ticket to the Sunday Storm.

I had been following a player who was very loose (VPIP ranging from 50% to 65% the entire game). I HAD to follow him since he was sitting right next to me for the first hour and a half. He was in the top 1 - 6 for most of the game but in the end he lost. Mind, that said, the second loosest player in the game won a ticket as well.

I don't understand it but playing super-loose seems to be a winning strategy a lot of the time. For some people anyway - it's never worked for me.
It's a strategy that if done correctly can generate huge chip stacks. But it's like anything else the more exposure you have to hands the higher potential there is to bust out. I like to start events super loose and tighten up right after the bubble busts? You just have to be careful not to run into that one hand where you are certain you're good but your not!

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play

play all diff ways depends on the game . just the way things running. on and on
:DhavefunAA

N

nmate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah. I play tight early and looser late if its a buyin tournament. Some freerolls I go for broke early though.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you I adhere to the same style depending on the game opponents...

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play all tournaments intensely regardless of the early stage of the tournament or the late one, and I try to play aggressively at some points to win more, my style of play is constantly changing and everything depends on the position I am in and the cards that I have in my hands!

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It definetely does,
more chips - more loose,
less chips or close to bubble - tighter

Also depends on the play style at the table

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of tournaments, I prefer a tight-aggressive style of play and try to avoid difficult decisions. In the middle and late stages I try to play more aggressively - it all depends on the size of the stack and the position at the table.

donny306

donny306

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play tight at the first hour of the tourney , but after that i can get pretty loose.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Usually at the beginning of the tournament, I play very carefully.
Later, my style of play becomes more aggressive, but it depends on the position at the table. On the whole, I adhere to a rather conservative tactic.
Good luck.

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To each according tournaments and players, I play differently when I play tight, and sometimes aggressive, but I'm always afraid of facing the most aggressive players than me