Is there really a right or wrong way to play poker?

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this question might really sound stupid. But listening to different poker players telling you to play like this, play like that, play this card don't play that card. Limp with this hand, don't limp with that hand. Raise with this hand or go all in. Follow this poker chart cause I always win. It gets to the point where you kind of shutoff poker coaches or players in general. The one thing I learned in my poker journey from watching the pros and trying out things is you have to play according to your situation and do what works for you. If it means playing with any hand or playing with very very little.

The main reason I ask this is what really is the right way or wrong way to play when everybody has their own style. Rather its tight or aggressive. Some players even play with weak hands that people wouldn't dare bet the farm on and still win. Poker is a game of personality some people play certain low value hands that represents something significant in their life like a close ones phone number, social security, birth date numbers, jersey numbers etc.

What is the right or wrong way to play poker?

Last edited by a moderator:
SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't know the right way, but I certainly know many wrong ones.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not really. If someone is having funlosing money they can afford, who is to say they are wrong? Certainly not me if I am at their table. Yet most people either try or kid themselves they are trying to learn to win.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There are definitely right and wrong moves in poker and depending on how often you make mistakes playing right or wrong will determine your success!!!

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dewey Tomko sums up your answer starting around the 1:30min mark to about the 2:45min mark of this interview "Poker Legend Dewey Tomko tells Stories About Doyle Brunson & Stu Unger" on Youtube.

Good, entertaining interview if you have the time to listen to it by the way.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
it depends on who judges or who says it's good or bad :), if you get results in what you play ... you do well:)

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Check who is winning and the way they play, I just think they are doing it the right way. But there isn't just one, many people win, and play diferent ways.

N

Nik990

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that there is no dialogue or wrong play in poker, people even play with hole cards and win tournaments, multi-faceted poker game, you can call your opponent to fold and AA and KK, characteristic of hand 72, it all depends on confidence, presentation of your emotions, or but to hide them

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is hardly possible to say for sure whether you are playing correctly? If you win, then you're right.

O

odonob

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aggressive or passive can both work. Aggressive works more if you have a dominating stack.

Hekmap

Hekmap

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pace, momentum, monotony ... serious tools, information. These make the game colorful

H

Haikala2011

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many ways to play it wrong, less to make it right and win.

KKillerss

KKillerss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly is. Right is the way that makes most money. Not always easy, not always the same.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch the top pros. They have the answer for you. If you lose as much as they do, you're playing the right way. If you win as much as they do, you're playing the righter way.

Watch and read players like Dan Harrington, and Phil Ivey. Dan Harrington, especially. He is a chess master, and if you want to learn strategy, and the right way to play, he's the one.

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what your end result to the game is. Are you playing for money, free chips, nothing at all, spending time with loved ones? You decide what you want out of the gaming experience. A lot of people invest money and time in playing cards, and since they can’t get their time back, they learn the “odds” or the positive return to their plays, so to speak, because they want to try to make money with that time. It really depends on what you want from the experience.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I know this question might really sound stupid. But listening to different poker players telling you to play like this, play like that, play this card don't play that card. Limp with this hand, don't limp with that hand. Raise with this hand or go all in. Follow this poker chart cause I always win. It gets to the point where you kind of shutoff poker coaches or players in general. The one thing I learned in my poker journey from watching the pros and trying out things is you have to play according to your situation and do what works for you. If it means playing with any hand or playing with very very little.

The main reason I ask this is what really is the right way or wrong way to play when everybody has their own style. Rather its tight or aggressive. Some players even play with shitty hands that people wouldn't dare bet the farm on and still win. Poker is a game of personality some people play certain low value hands that represents something significant in their life like a close ones phone number, social security, birth date numbers, jersey numbers etc.

It depends...
What is your purpose?

You need to ask yourself why you're playing.

Fun? Work? Or what?

It all varies depending on your purpose.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends...
What is your purpose?

You need to ask yourself why you're playing.

Fun? Work? Or what?

It all varies depending on your purpose.

I'm playing both for money and fun.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Follow the probability

There is unlimited variability in play styles and opinions in poker

so much, in fact, that it is hard to say definitively who is giving the best advice

I tend to play more analytically, playing only the highest probability hands to raises before the flop - that is, highest probability of winning if you hit your cards, like AA, etc.

after the flop its more strategy based on my analysis of the table - player behavior and position, etc

there is a basic strategy pre-flop, then it becomes much more complex dealing with the varying personalities and styles of your opponents

Learn as much as you can - but ultimately, it's up to YOU to put it all together
for the WIN.

TC

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the choices can be explained or justified by the math, it is probably right. There should be some educated reason for making choices. They might not be correct or be profitable, those are right reasons to make choices.

A

akuna

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's right or wrong, the key is to learn to play differently depending on the situation

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course yes! It's no wonder that there are several blogs and poker study platforms in the world, right here on cardschats there are several forums for this content so focus and learn.

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course there a right way to poker, I feel its controlling yourself, patience most important right way.

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The main reason I ask this is what really is the right way or wrong way to play when everybody has their own style. Rather its tight or aggressive. Some players even play with shitty hands that people wouldn't dare bet the farm on and still win. Poker is a game of personality some people play certain low value hands that represents something significant in their life like a close ones phone number, social security, birth date numbers, jersey numbers etc.

Poker is a game of mistakes, whoever makes the fewest wins in the long run. Therefore, the correct game and strategies in poker are relevant. :jd4::):jd4:

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can play the way you want to play. But for sure if you want to earn something from this game, you need to play like others. There are always lots of freerolls in the lobby, if you want to play not so serious or just for fun, you can play it the way you like.
Basically all people, who are playing poker and earn something are playling the same game.
Right now lots of players can play good to be honest. It,s more harder rigt now to earn something with this game, just because the level of the game increased and lots of people can play well.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You can play the way you want to play. But for sure if you want to earn something from this game, you need to play like others.
This is some good advice, but it still sounds funny to me: If everybody is employing a hypothetical optimal strategy, in the end there will be still only one winner left. Sometimes being successful in Poker equals to being plain lucky, I'm afraid.