Is Texas Holdem Boring, Compared to Omaha Hi/Lo

narizblanco

narizblanco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha hilo is more fun. Omaha hi is fun also. Holdem is slower because most people fold a lot more hands preflop. However I win more consistantly at holdem. I plauy PLO and holdem everyday. Hilo 3 0r 4 times a week.

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha

I like Omaha high, the issue i have with High low is there are so many combinations of hands you often take a chance more so than Texas holdem. holdems good but not until you build a little stack and really start playing

M

MrHoros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Hold'em is naturally the most boring of all poker games except maybe 5 card stud which no one probably even plays anymore.

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every game gets boring for me.

What I try to do is find something new about the game when I get bored. Holdem, Omaha, etc. are so complicated that when I get bored I try to blame myself. Each game has a different way of gathering and processing information. Explore the games intricacies, find one new way to make a positive result. a new squeeze play, a way to capitalize on an evolved play, etc.

When you think the game is boring, look inward.

I switch to differnet games, based on the players. If there is a soft spot or two in Razz, guess what I'll be playing all day!

-Bill

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every game gets boring for me.

What I try to do is find something new about the game when I get bored. Holdem, Omaha, etc. are so complicated that when I get bored I try to blame myself. Each game has a different way of gathering and processing information. Explore the games intricacies, find one new way to make a positive result. a new squeeze play, a way to capitalize on an evolved play, etc.

When you think the game is boring, look inward.

-Bill

I thought about saying something along these lines but you put it a lot better than I could have, so I'm glad I didn't. Good insight.

Of course, there's some truth on the other side of the coin. The addage that, if you're getting excited playing poker then you're probably playing it wrong.

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it all depends on what kind of cards I am getting. If I am runnig into a cold deck I can get very boared. Just waitng to play a decent hand, I will start to make stupid plays just get some action. Omaha makes it more interesting because of the more cards and different plays to make but if you are not involved in any hands it will be just as boring.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
didnt someone once describe NLHE as

'hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror'

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
didnt someone once describe NLHE as

'hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror'

"I just played 22 hours of Omaha high-low. Seventeen of those hours were like watching paint dry, three were even duller, but two hours were like bungee jumping from a helicopter into a vat of flaming eels."

--Steve Badger

qwerrk

qwerrk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So it seems I must be a real masochist -- love that OH H/L PL T SnG :D

Turbo forces more play, sooner but in general there are many more bad hands in omaha than in hold em, so yea, you ought to play fewer hands but the opposite seems more often to be the case, i.e., people tend to play more hands than they should AND (!) if you are able to stave of the boredom of only working quality hands -- cha-ching!

G

gra605

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must confess, I do prefer the Omaha hi/Lo tourneys at pokerstars. But good Omaha H/L tourneys (esp freerolls) on the internet are unfortunately few and far between.

salexfo

salexfo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that

Poker of all variations is boring unless you play on real cash.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love PLO. There is good money to win at it. The nice thing about that game is that playing it has vastly improved my HE game.

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games, I can't stand Hold'em but love O8, but in tournaments, I prefer to play NLH.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can greatly depend on the player and their style. But I don't really like the way the question is phrased, I'd rather see it read, "Is Omaha Hi/Lo more challenging than Hold 'em?". The answer there is a resounding YES!

There are a greater variety avenues for you and your opponents to travel down and reading the board is all-important. Likewise, getting a handle on your opponents playing style can really dictate your profitability. I like both games equally and I'm rarely board with either, but if I get distracted while playing Hold 'em I generally don't get lost where as if I get distracted while playing Omaha I can easily find myself screwed before I even realize it.

Omaha, particularly H/L is a lot more challenging than hold'em, but in a different way. I get not only bored with hold'em, but frustrated by the very nature of it, which skills seems more based on bluffing, semi-bluffing, aggression, and position. Not that Omaha doesn't involves elements of each. But I wind up folding more hands that I feel are probably winners, and can feel myself getting tilted when some idiot is constantly raising with nothing. I know, my job to catch him, nuts or not, but it's not enjoyable sometimes. I run into less of that in Omaha of any type.

And of course, NL, PL, FL all play into betting strategies in Omaha. But all things being equal, you're going to see the river more often in Omaha, particularly H/L. And BECAUSE of this, I also agree that distractions are bad news. You do yourself a great disservice to not pay attention to the many hands you might get to see people calling and raising with every step of the way pre & post-flop.

slipknot4life

slipknot4life

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha h/l is an action game, and if u like to play alot of hands that is the game. Hold'em, to be a winning player or to win tourneys you need allittle more paitience to wait for good hands to play, so sometimes it can get boring. But play what ever your having fun with.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha h/l is an action game, and if u like to play alot of hands that is the game. Hold'em, to be a winning player or to win tourneys you need allittle more paitience to wait for good hands to play, so sometimes it can get boring. But play what ever your having fun with.

I actually play a tighter O8 than I do LHE...

bryan24

bryan24

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I like to play as many different games as I can to help reduce the boredom. To play poker properly you MUST fold alot and that can get boring no matter what game you are playing. It is not uncommon to see me playing 8 or 9 didderent games in a day.....

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'd say you need even greater patience at O8 - playing almost every hand because you're in with a shot of winning at least some of one of the pots can be disastrous.

I find it's got a much different character to regular PLO, which has more of a reputation as being a degenerate action game.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot limit omaha/hi is by far my favorite game.
I think it is much funner than holdem.
I began playing omaha around 2 years ago or so,and very rarley unless a freeroll will play holdem anymore.
I still like hi/lo omaha,but not as much as plo/hi.
Just the whole hi/lo splitting thing drives me crazy.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of all the disciplines associated with cards, chips, betting, winning and loosing... Holdem has to be the most boring. Of the lot.

Boring, boring, boring...... :sleep:

I find it's got a much different character to regular PLO, which has more of a reputation as being a degenerate action game.

Worse than Limit Holdem? <--- Lord I hate this game.

---
:icon_sant

Y

Yankees5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like texas holdem alot better..but playin omaha anything is a good mix up! i like it cuz u get 4 cards and it just seems you have more options of catching something obviously..and there could be more action cuz with holdem you kinda have to pick and choose which hands you wanna play in omaha you can prety much play every hand..holdem does get boring though. omaha never seems to get boring to me.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules