Technique, Practice and Luck (Make Your % Division)

Blackchipp

Blackchipp

Rock Star
Total posts
:confused: Just tell me whats is the percentages of importance each of these have in poker.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Total posts
Awards
75% luck, 15% technique, 10% practice

Although - practice helps you develop your technique. It's a learning method. Some of us need very little practice to learn, some of us need a lot.

I may spend 5,000 hours practicing and learn very little, and hence improve my game very little. You may spend 25 hours practicing and become a Master.

Put nine Masters together at a final table and the lucky one is going to win EVERY time. Doesn't matter how much practice it took each of them to get there. They are all equally skilled and the only thing that differentiates them is luck.

Last edited:
FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Total posts
I think the ratio of skill to luck is 70/30. But in general, I am convinced that without skill the player has little chance of luck.

Kinganders

Kinganders

Rock Star
Total posts
I think the ratio of skill to luck is 70/30. But in general, I am convinced that without skill the player has little chance of luck.

To win in the long run, luck has to be in lower percentage I believe

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Total posts
Importance: Luck 90%, technical skill 10%, practice 0%
If I could choose which I would rather have, I would choose good luck every time. This is how an unskilled person gets to win.

Reality: Luck 65%, technical skill 25%, practice 10%
Luck is 65% of the game whether we think it is important or not. We cannot do anything about it. Skill must be the most important thing that we can control. Practice is every bit as important as skill, but it is only how we obtain skill, it is not the thing we seek to perfect.

As for luck, if we divide up a hold'em hand into skill elements and luck elements, we might find that there are 9 pieces of luck in a single hand (my 2 cards, your 2 cards, and the 5 cards on the board), and we might find that we have to make 4-6 decisions in a single hand (at least one decision per street and possibly 1 or 2 more if there raises along the way). So, 9/13= 69% luck or 9/15 = 60% luck. This is just the way it is. All of our skill and practice is trying to overcome a game that is 2/3's luck.

Good luck and God bless.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Not only from my experience but overall, My opinion is Technique 40% Luck (Variance) 60%, Practice ( you need it to get Technique) :deal:

messats

messats

Rock Star
Total posts
Awards
LC
:confused: Just tell me whats is the percentages of importance each of these have in poker.

to be extremely successful in poker one must have discipline and and adequate amount of knowledge in each field regarding the necessary skill set needed to be good at poker

L

liviuplayspoker

Enthusiast
Total posts
I think the game is 100% practise, because in the long run your oppenent has as much luck as you and its equal to Zero. Its mathematecally inpossible that your oppent can have more luck than you, your oppenent has luck and you too, its always the same!
But in a short period i think its for me 70/30 exemple when you play only 1 tournament or 1 day...