Taxation Policy

S

ShawanG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much tax do you guys have to pay on your winnings in your country? Just to get a little info on which country is most friendly when it comes to playing poker.
Like here in india whenever we make a net winning of 132 dollars we have to pay 30% as tax. Because of this high tax system, I missed a very good opportunity to join a staking group that was offering free coaching plus funds to play poker. The deal was 40 - 60 on winnings. Which would eventually go up to 50 -50. But I had to pay the entire tax amount from my winnings. So after paying 30% tax from my share of 40% I would be left with only 10%. So I had to refuse the deal. But I feel bad for myself for missing such an opportunity to improve my overall game.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
How much tax do you guys have to pay on your winnings in your country? Just to get a little info on which country is most friendly when it comes to playing poker.

Zero tax? Here all gambling wins are tax free :cool:

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my country (brazil) the amount of taxes that we have to pay depends of how much we won monthly (regular job plus poker winnings). If it’s more than around $1000 (or R$4,650) we have to pay 27% of taxes, which is a lot in my opinion.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my country, poker is officially recognized as a sport and currently, poker winnings are not taxed. I live in Ukraine, and I usually use cryptocurrency to withdraw funds.

Vivaly

Vivaly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In short, there is a 13% tax on poker in Russia.

Last edited:
C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
In my country, poker is officially recognized as a sport and currently, poker winnings are not taxed. I live in Ukraine, and I usually use cryptocurrency to withdraw funds.

Wow this is great! I wish my country was the same! :(

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It seems there are quite a few countries like canada - where gambling winnings are not taxed.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken as far as I know, in Ukraine you also need to pay a tax on poker winnings, at the moment it is 15% !!! But also, when paying the tax, your deposit amount is taken into account, that is, the tax must be paid from the net profit !!! Today, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine is considering two legislative proposals: one on the complete abolition of all taxes in poker (but many deputies think that this can lead to corruption schemes), and secondly, on the abolition of taxes in case of winning less than 50,000 hryvnias (1,776 dollars USA) !!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure what is the actually tax amount but it is to much in my opinion. Sadly I think this country would tax air if they can fin a way to.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Russia, if you win $ 132, you definitely don't have to pay the tax.Each country has its own limits, which if you exceed it, you pay tax

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any staking deal where the backer does not agree to take responsibility for their share of the taxes is not a good deal.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do I understand correctly that the question only concerns live table games, not online?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No tax in Costa Rica. No tax in UK either.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello
I also did not quite understand what kind of poker discipline the discussion is going on, live poker is understandable, for example, in Russia at a tournament in Sochi, but if in the same Russia I withdraw the winnings from the online room through an electronic wallet? Do I need to go to the tax office myself?

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are no taxes in the EEA but poker winnings from elsewhere are taxed at around 50% for example, the wsop!

S

ShawanG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do I understand correctly that the question only concerns live table games, not online?

Hello
I also did not quite understand what kind of poker discipline the discussion is going on, live poker is understandable, for example, in Russia at a tournament in Sochi, but if in the same Russia I withdraw the winnings from the online room through an electronic wallet? Do I need to go to the tax office myself?
It applies both in live and cash games. The tax is deducted at the source(TDS) i.e when we withdraw the money even via wallet money will be deducted automatically. poker sites have to take the full responsibility of deducting those applicable taxes Only is Indian sites not applicable in foreign sites.
When we win from foreign sites we need the pay the taxes ourselves within 30 days of winning.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pay zero tax since my American Federal Government took away our right, and our freedom to play poker on the major sites back on April 15, 2011 (over a decade ago) and our rights and freedoms have STILL NOT BEEN REMEDIED TO THIS VERY DAY.

Until it is remedied, I will never pay one penny to the criminal US Government. I use play chips and I play freerolls, and if I win anything I will never withdraw it. My governement can GFY for all I care about them. They proved a decade ago what they think of me and my poker hobby. To quote Willy Wonka... "You get nothing! Good day, sir!"

I would have been a solid winning player and who knows how much I would have won over the past decade, and therefore, who knows how much tax revenue the US Government has cost themselves. Who knows, and who really cares... f them.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then, if it concerns online games: only the amount of banking services for the transfer is deducted from me. According to the law, I must declare this income myself, but no one will deal with this - the amounts are not so significant.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Unfortunately, you are mistaken as far as I know, in Ukraine you also need to pay a tax on poker winnings, at the moment it is 15% !!! But also, when paying the tax, your deposit amount is taken into account, that is, the tax must be paid from the net profit !!! Today, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine is considering two legislative proposals: one on the complete abolition of all taxes in poker (but many deputies think that this can lead to corruption schemes), and secondly, on the abolition of taxes in case of winning less than 50,000 hryvnias (1,776 dollars USA) !!!

Hello.
As far as I understand, you also live in Ukraine. Please tell, do you pay 15% every time you withdraw money?

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
As far as I understand, you also live in Ukraine. Please tell, do you pay 15% every time you withdraw money?

I didn't pay, but that doesn't mean the tax doesn’t exist by law !!!

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Low amounts will not be taxed in Brazil, there is no taxation on withdrawal and we are taxed when we inform the tax authorities that we have won, however if you take a big rit and do not put it on your annual income statement, the tax authorities will certainly find out in some way and you will be forced payable with fine and interest.

N

Nics81

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How will irs know if you even play or not? Is there a database of people that play pokee

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How will irs know if you even play or not? Is there a database of people that play pokee

The way I understand it, in the United States all poker winnings are self reported to the IRS for taxes. However this does not mean that the IRS will not go after you if you do not report your winnings. They only need to suspect that you are withholding information from them to be able to go after you. If you win a big televised tournament or something that ends up on Hendon Mob or is documented some how then they will have enough proof to go after you if you do not report those winnings to the IRS when you file your yearly taxes.

A

Amdrius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am from the Republic of Belarus. Our tax is 13%. But lately, things are moving in the direction that the game of poker may become illegal. It would be better if the tax was increased, and not created bans.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
over here 2% on deposit and 1% on withdrawal with amounts up to $ 9999, pretty decent :) after 10000$ is jumping at 40% :)