Talking To Yourself While Playing Poker?

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have started talking to myself when playing online, I find it relaxing and makes me play better :) Anybody else do this? I like to think about ranges and all strategy involved so that I can assess things slower and make sure my moves are good, Even if its in your head do you guys think out the hand instead of just doing it to do it, I especially talk to myself when playing heads up, Is this weird or normal?
:eek:

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes to make me pay attention I pretend that there is somebody that talks out every action of the players at the table.

INGAJ

INGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually talk with computer. But mostly when i got bad beat

30pointbuck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always talked to myself anyway, but I do find that cussing and screaming at the PC in the event of a nasty beat helps me to vent and not go on tilt.

Jostone6

Jostone6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly ! i always find myself saying things like: "it was not to be call", "in this situation i had to wait for QQ+", "I had to have made the cbet". I think it helps to think better at the game, what you're doing, whether it's right or wrong.

1ofTheFellas

1ofTheFellas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its sorta wierd, but I have definately in the past talked out every decision that I am making out loud as if I was making a training video.. Its sorta wierd but I definately found myself to be making better decisions while I was doing this.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually go over it in my head. Haven't tried talking to myself yet ...my wife would probably have me committed.

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it a lot after I make a mistake to try and learn, and remember it

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My Great-grand-mother (who raised me) use to say, "It's okay to talk to yourself, as long as you don't answer yourself." Always thought that was funny, of course I'm easily amused.

surfersandi

surfersandi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually find myself yelling at my PC in the wee hours of the night. At a time I can use swear words and I think no one can hear me. One summer evening I opened my bedroom window for the first time and had a crazy night of bad beats and crazy players. My new neighbor: whom I didn't know moved in yet, spoke to me the next morning and he said it was too funny to hear me all night long and he knew I was alone.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I swear at myself a lot when I play really badly :D

F

FLOnaldoRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ohhh God ! Yes .. talking to myself ? YES ! And everybody tell cause i look like a idiot :)))) They believe me crazy , '' who talks alone with a laptop '' ? Yes , i am one of them . When i am mad i look like a crazy kid .

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a coach who greatly encouraged talking (to yourself) through a hand or street decision. It will certainly help your game.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, if you are alone and are in a big game of poker it is a priority to concentrate well on what is happening. Therefore the question is should you talk to yourself, the real question is why not? Speaking about ranges and what the odds are etc is much better coming out of your mouth than getting messed up with thoughts in your mind.

J

jangalang37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, my wife thinks its funny that I talk to myself when I play and it makes me laugh which in turn makes me play better lol.

Fishpicker13

Fishpicker13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a great habit to get into if you want to play live poker, but I do it at home sometimes. GF usually thinks I'm talking to her, ha! Still hoping I can talk her into being interested in the game but she is hooked on Facecrack :9d4:

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a great habit to get into if you want to play live poker, but I do it at home sometimes. GF usually thinks I'm talking to her, ha! Still hoping I can talk her into being interested in the game but she is hooked on Facecrack :9d4:

Really not that bad live either - hell, Negreanu does it.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:D:D:DI use to whistle some oldies , its like under the shower:D:D:D

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it often. IMO it is a little weird, I hope that it is nothing wrong :) Usually I comment my game like Norman Chad and LON McEachern :D from ESPN TV.

T

tohos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it quite often. Its good to prevent you from going button clicking mode and to think properly and rationalise your actions. When I tilt I grunt and punch the wall. lol

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started talking to myself away from all forms of poker...Walking down the street "That mofo really had AK, how the **** you play AK like that" (Mind you I'm thinking this is in my head, but it's out loud and the wife will be like, Abdi your doing it again, calm down...

That is the reason it's a bad habit to get into, True story I did it a-couple of times on the bus, a-couple of times in Mc-Donalds/Convenience stores, and while walking with the kids to the park and so forth and so on (Now they all think I'm crazy)...

I even recall one time I swear in my sleep I was yelling the cards out and something to do with (THERE IS NO WAY HE HAS A KING, **** HE HAD THE KING), I startled the kids and the wife, and did not even know I was doing it

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started talking to myself away from all forms of poker...Walking down the street "That mofo really had AK, how the **** you play AK like that" (Mind you I'm thinking this is in my head, but it's out loud and the wife will be like, Abdi your doing it again, calm down...

That is the reason it's a bad habit to get into, True story I did it a-couple of times on the bus, a-couple of times in Mc-Donalds/Convenience stores, and while walking with the kids to the park and so forth and so on (Now they all think I'm crazy)...

I even recall one time I swear in my sleep I was yelling the cards out and something to do with (THERE IS NO WAY HE HAS A KING, **** HE HAD THE KING), I startled the kids and the wife, and did not even know I was doing it

yeah man i see the bad habit part, i think being humble and realizing poker is essentially getting tougher and tougher now, and taking what you can in terms of wins is all you can accept, this ain't 2003 or whatever where anyone can just go print money