Talking out loud when online

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it just me or does anybody else talk out load about the hands they are playing when online with nobody else in the room... Or am i slowly going mad.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it sometimes not often, just as habit I guess. Like, it's only if a really weird spot happens in a hand I'll go through the hand but seems more clearer when I say it out loud to myself rather than through my head.

Like for example; "So he x/c the flop, donk leads the turn and now check shoves the river, hmm"

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You're a mad hatter Steve:D

Like ram said only once in a while. Usually "put you chips in Ahole" when I know I've trapped someone. If they get away from it more words which I'll not repeat can be heard.

A

AsylumBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All the time. Even when I am not in the Hand. "Don't Fold. He is bluffin' big time"

sunburnt2k11

sunburnt2k11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol it happens all the time! i also do it myself to try to get someone to call me when i have a great hand.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I worry when I play live, cause I ALWAYS talk when playing online......

My daughter or wife would come in (not anymore...lol) and it was like "Who are you talking to?"

I wasnt just mumbling. My wife came in once and asked "So which asshole cant have WHAT again?" lol

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh yeah, I definitely do this.

Usually when I am home alone.

I swear a lot, "put your chips in *******".

Or I will exclaim something like "WHAT?!!!". When some SS goes all in preflop and I call him with KK. He has 6-6 or something and rivers a set.

I will also say things like "Don't do it" as the board is running out in situations like the one above.....

My neighbors would think I was mad if they could hear me. :D

Creepy Jackalope

Creepy Jackalope

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm scared to play live for this reason.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm scared to play live for this reason.

Surprisingly, most live players adhere to the code.... keep your mouth shut.

Most players won't bitch about suck outs or bad play. The most common response to tough beats would be "nice hand". The tone a person uses when saying this often hints at his real feelings....

But people are generally pretty good about these things. Not all people, but most.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Frankly, I wish I remembered to do it more. But not so I can yell at my computer when I get sucked out on (though I definitely do this with embarrassing frequency).

Talking through a hand is the easiest way for me to force myself to think about ranges. It solidifies your thought process, and keeps you focused. Also saying something out loud will often make it easier to see any flaws in your thinking (like when you read something you've written out loud and then find an error you never would have noticed otherwise).

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

My daughter or wife would come in (not anymore...lol) and it was like "Who are you talking to?"

I wasnt just mumbling. My wife came in once and asked "So which asshole cant have WHAT again?" lol

I glad it's not just me then..

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do this because sometimes saying my thoughts helps me concentrate.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because its not just you, doesn't mean you're not going mad.

blakewyte

blakewyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahahah is there anyone who doesn't talk to themselves when they're playing online?

Parents and boyfriend alike are quite used to this because I'm equally as vocal when playing DoTA2 or L4D2.

I think I'm a lot more sailor-mouth-ish with online poker. >.<

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I can totally relate to this as can my wife I'm sure....lol........scorp :eek: :eek:

gtothec

gtothec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think its a great habbit to get into
it cuts out that auto clicking you get sometimes when playing a long session
also i think pyschologically its a good thing to remind yourself verbally that you made the correct decision when someone sucks out on you etc
saying that i still think we're all a little odd for doing it ;)

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ha yeah now that I think about it I talk a LOT when playing poker online.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm usually playing around other people, so I try not to disturb them too much with my ramblings. Usually what I do say out loud involves a few obscenities, even if it's just trying to talk someone into calling me. Luckily since I'm used to holding it in I'm very hard to read when I play live.

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think talking relieves some tension when the stress level is too high. (Big hands, Big pots, Bubble play).

JaxA

JaxA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frankly, I wish I remembered to do it more. But not so I can yell at my computer when I get sucked out on (though I definitely do this with embarrassing frequency).

Talking through a hand is the easiest way for me to force myself to think about ranges. It solidifies your thought process, and keeps you focused. Also saying something out loud will often make it easier to see any flaws in your thinking (like when you read something you've written out loud and then find an error you never would have noticed otherwise).

Exactly. I feel like if I talked myself through the weird spots more it would improve my decision making process.

S

sleepymike

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think talking relieves some tension when the stress level is too high. (Big hands, Big pots, Bubble play).
I find this to be helpful for me also, tho sometimes I use gestures along with the words. :)

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we all do it mate :D Don't worry , it happens mainly when I lose 4 outter hand or even worse, or when I play a hand totally wrong, then i try to replay the hand better by talking it to myself loud :D !

M

maxp31

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not just you lol I talk with myself and scream especilly when I win/lose a big pot. I belive most of us do, totaly natural.

LongJohn45

LongJohn45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes, ill talk when im bored. But i rarely get any responses. Sometimes Ill say something crazy, yet no one says anything. I can't tell if there being really serious or they just dont like to type.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I must be stark raving mad as I have been talking to myself for years and I haven't been playing poker for years :eek:

I will admit I fell off the planet a long time ago :D