Suited connectors or 2 pair at the flop in the bb. Sometimes you get lucky

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bigger pocket pair; I'll take my AA vs their KK any day ;)

More seriously though, it depends on various factors such as stack depth or opponent playstyle/tendencies with how they play a big pair. Generally speaking, suited connectors work well against big pairs compared to other hands because the ones "too close" to those big pairs are often dominated. At least the suited connectors have outs to improve.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't have memorable wins against big pocket pair with weaker hands, but I lose many times with my big pocket pairs against QJ.

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
a small pair of 66 with him I always go to the limit:D

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like 78s. It can hit the flop really hard, but it's also easy to fold if you miss the flop and face aggression.

In general however I would say it's best to play a fairly standard set of preflop ranges with some deviations based on player tendencies and then worry about playing your range correctly on the flop. It's not really the best approach to your poker game having any bias towards a particular hand. Your job is to play the hand you have correctly.

cordero82

cordero82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
In particular, I like 8-9 suits, or 9-10 suits, against big pairs, I've been lucky with those types of cards, as long as they show the flop, but if it's risky to play an allin , I have done it and on some occasions I have won them.

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
sometimes I'm even afraid to go all in with AA or KK because I know that sometimes the poker fish will be flesh or straight

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Set mining with small pocket pairs in position with no more than 5% of my stack.

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My favorite hand is AA, AK, KK and alternatively - QQ.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
I like 55 is one of I favorite number.

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My best hand is probably AA, KK, QQ

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Minors being a strong hand when villain might think you have AK; and actually has 3 low cards. Being on the turn or river we can have the power flush or straight

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My favorite is whatever hand wins the current pot. :)

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What's your favorite hand for taking down big pocket pairs
With small pocket cards I play only "88", as the number "8" is my favorite number. Among big pocket pairs I play, in principle, everything. And I love all of them: from "1010" to "AA". I just don't always play them in the same way. Yes, there are complaints only about pocket of "KK", which often lose and spoil my mood, but I am always happy with this pocket more than conditional "76". :LOL::geek:

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
A bigger pocket pair .
AA / AK

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Usually I can beat a big pair with low conected suiteds, for example, if my opponent has KK, I'd like to have 8 9 suited, since I can get all my 6 possible cards to make a straight

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Equilab says:

Equity Win Tie
MP2
77.69% 77.52% 0.17% { KdKs }
MP3 22.31% 22.15% 0.17% { 9h8h }

That's not "usually". You'd need odds of roughly 78 : 22 (3.55 : 1) to break even. You might justify playing (98,8-s) if you can get in cheap, and play against an opponent who marries his high pocket pairs. Playing every trashy hand against big pockets is something the fish do. They "think" they're being clever, and occasionally they'll crack aces or kings. While they're breaking their arms patting themselves on the back, they don't realize how -EV the play really is, and that they're losing in the long run (which lasts far longer than any one session). That's how they wonder where all the chips went while making yet another deposit.