Taking a break?

T

Tiltmode1987

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you ever run so bad that you feel you need to take a break from poker for a period of time? I had to make myself do this. I had a streak of run bad that lasted over a month so i just took a significant period of time away from poker. I had to... It was making me so freaking mad i couldn't stand it. It got to a point where i would sit down at a table and would tell myself i was pretty much going to lose. When i returned to poker after about a 2 or 3 month break, it definitely helped me mentally and emotionally.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you ever run so bad that you feel you need to take a break from poker for a period of time? I had to make myself do this. I had a streak of run bad that lasted over a month so i just took a significant period of time away from poker. I had to... It was making me so freaking mad i couldn't stand it. It got to a point where i would sit down at a table and would tell myself i was pretty much going to lose. When i returned to poker after about a 2 or 3 month break, it definitely helped me mentally and emotionally.

As I have mentioned before, different strokes for different folks.

Some feel it important to take a complete break for their well being. Fair enough, then they should do so of course.

However, as a general rule, I prefer to scale back than take a total break. The reason being variance (the bad luck, the algorithm, the whatever) will always be there to deflate you on any given day. I believe if you take poker seriously (nothing to say anyone has to) then dealing with those setbacks is an integral part of the game. It cannot actually be removed or lessened and it will dog you, period.

So, call me a masochist, but I attempt to develop the mental strength to weather any poker storm.

It is not as though I believe it a route to any great poker epiphany either. I simple believe if you are going to engage with poker from a realistic perspective- I'll repeat realistic- then the sooner one absorbs downswings come with the territory, the better.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quote: Tiltmode1987;6278768 I had to force myself to do it. I had a losing streak that lasted over a month, so I just took a break from poker for a significant period of time. I had to... It pissed me off so much that I couldn't stand it. It got to the point that I sat down at the table and told myself that I would almost lose. When I returned to poker after a two-three month break, it definitely helped me mentally and emotionally.[/QUOTE]
Hello friend.
If you sit down to play with the thought that you should play at the limit, you need a break, everyone has an unsuccessful streak - this is a game, you need to sit down to play with a positive mood

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, me I had at least two periods of staying away from any poker table for at least six weeks each…..it was necessary for my mindset cause the variance and downswing were torching me….I had no fun to play poker…..and the weeks without playing helped me a lot to become mental fresh again

pokerace_1

pokerace_1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you feel you need to take a breake/QUOTE]

so take a break, no one forces you to play by force. In my opinion, this is not only about poker, when something goes against you, you always need to take a break.gl!!!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Sometimes a break can be very helpful. Each player had a time when only a break helped to overcome frustration. It is always better to take a break and relax than to stubbornly continue to lose money.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think I'm in that period, when I have to take a break too :)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning, when I first started playing poker, this happened all the time and I did not pay attention to it, which led to big losses, but when I started to make a game plan before each session, everything changed.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also had such a feeling when the thought of poker even made me sick. And I didn’t have to rest, because at that time I didn’t think about games at all. The break passed by itself, without coercion. Of course, it would be ideal, as it seems to me, to go somewhere on a trip.
So you are not the only one who has experienced this feeling.

K

KITAYAWA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, of course, any poker player needs a break. Especially if it's a job and you make money playing poker.

Papadejro

Papadejro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh yeah, I had periods of such tilt that I have throw poker for months :)

And that was days when I was playing playmoney :D

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance can be a pain in the butt! Nothing wrong with taking some time away from the table.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely! I haven't just had bad beats. I've had zero flop hits for what seemed like forever. Raise with AK suited. Flop hits Q,8,2 of the opposite suit. Sometimes it takes time to heal the bad feelings. Clear your head for a while. The game always calls me back.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i think this is what i should do, i will stop playing freeroll and low buy games this is delaying my game i usually lose all my bankroll fast today i deposited 10$ in ps and you believe i lose in less than 30 minutes with horrible bads!

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing too much is definitely a problem. It's easy to lose yourself and you will lose a lot. At this stage, it is best to take a break and play when you are ready emotionally.

hyfl

hyfl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm limiting myself to some amount per month. If I'll lose it I wait until month ends before putting more money on poker account. So far it works for me