Taking a break

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If poker is your main source of income - how often do you feel the need to take a break? I've been focusing on it for the past few months. I find every week or so I just dont have the desire to play. Does anyone else experience this? I thought I loved the game but I feel like that's kind of fading away.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Decision Burn Out

If poker is your main source of income - how often do you feel the need to take a break? I've been focusing on it for the past few months. I find every week or so I just dont have the desire to play. Does anyone else experience this? I thought I loved the game but I feel like that's kind of fading away.

Thanks for posting.

Playing poker as a job is equivalent to being an Air Traffic Controller in number of decisions per work hour. Plus the intensity of those decisions.

They have done numerous studies on ATC to figure out how not to get to Burn Out.

Most commonly ATC are given multiple days off in a row to allow for the proper rest.
One group works 6 days with four days off.

As an estimate: if you have been grinding 6 days per week for 4 weeks you should have had 16 days off and you have had 4.

We can break ourselves emotionally and mentally. The ATC schedule is to alleviate that.

You seem to have pushed yourself into the burn out zone. Rest away from the game is the only thing you can do.
Add in trying very hard to make your rest very pleasurable. Spend time doing the other things you love to do.

Hope this helps.

:):)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Although poker is your main source of income, you must set a game schedule ... and you must comply ... you must consider it as a job and for that reason you must have defined the hours of play per day ... as well as try not to play a couple of days a week ... but you're going to dull your mind and that's not good for you ...!

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rather than having a set schedule, I grind until I'm tired, get a few hours of sleep, eat, go back to grinding and I usually do this until I'm sick of poker which is after about a week or two straight. After three days of rest or so, I'm back to grinding.

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do not remember when I last took time off from poker, but I love what I do and that makes me stick to the routine. For what it is tired I think that it must stop at least one day without even weighing in poker to return with a renewed mind.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker long hours

Making money with poker is as hard work as many other areas of activity. It requires very high mental costs, psychological stability from tilt and stress and physical strength. You must be a physically healthy and strong person to withstand any important long-running game. To, if necessary, to play long night hours, especially when approaching the top places.But, like any long and monotonous work, it can get annoying at some point and stop bringing pleasure. We just have to relax. In any work, there are vacations, time off, hospital and other pauses. This also becomes possible when playing poker .This is especially important for poker. To play irritated, tired and just nervous nothing good will bring you.:eek2::eek2::eek2:

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Each player sometimes needs a break. My break is about one week per month and this is absolutely normal.
Good luck.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In such cases, when you are tired of playing, you need to take a break, just relax. It always helps me. After this I will focus more on the game and make fewer mistakes.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure when you're taking a break you study outside the game

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for posting.

Playing poker as a job is equivalent to being an Air Traffic Controller in number of decisions per work hour. Plus the intensity of those decisions.

They have done numerous studies on ATC to figure out how not to get to Burn Out.

Most commonly ATC are given multiple days off in a row to allow for the proper rest.
One group works 6 days with four days off.

As an estimate: if you have been grinding 6 days per week for 4 weeks you should have had 16 days off and you have had 4.

We can break ourselves emotionally and mentally. The ATC schedule is to alleviate that.

You seem to have pushed yourself into the burn out zone. Rest away from the game is the only thing you can do.
Add in trying very hard to make your rest very pleasurable. Spend time doing the other things you love to do.

Hope this helps.

:):)
I believe that switching from MTT to cash or online to live helps alot and maybe try a different game maybe the great game of NL2-7

R

rdpoker5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am on a huge downswing and taking a break is probably the best thing I can do. Playing when you start sessions with a bad feeling about your game does not make sense in my opinion. I will take a step back drop a limit or two and come back stronger. That is the plan.:)

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am on a huge downswing and taking a break is probably the best thing I can do. Playing when you start sessions with a bad feeling about your game does not make sense in my opinion. I will take a step back drop a limit or two and come back stronger. That is the plan.:)
Yes i suggest play a different sort of game amd drop down in limits best options also try to meditate and eat healthy

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when you play too much hand. our motivation and concentration is disrupted. it's always good to take breaks and come back to play only when you're in shape and can not wait to play again. to play his A game is important not to be bored at the table because we have no morale or the desire to play.

Lugubrious

Lugubrious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you play too much hand. our motivation and concentration is disrupted. it's always good to take breaks and come back to play only when you're in shape and can not wait to play again. to play his A game is important not to be bored at the table because we have no morale or the desire to play.
Idk about you guys but i play everyday anx i wake up every morning wanting to play some more even though sometimes my mind is kind of blank i just go for a run to regroup myslef and back to the felt

W

whitesmoke420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has never been my main source of income...….most likely due to the fact I'm not that great and don't win very often hahaha. :driver: Work work work and college. Poker is a fun side gig and even though it can be stressful at times it's a relaxing pastime.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A new business always attracts and is interesting to them. Unfortunately, interest gradually fades over time.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I sleep less well, and regenerate less well, when I'm not playing, more than when I'm in the midst of a run.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i believe you should take poker as a 9-5 job

you should only play four to five days a week and take breaks on the other days

playing everyday and overwhelming yourself will be bad for you and the love of the game

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe the problem is that it is an online poker, no real human interaction can mess up even the biggest introverts long term

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You yourself wanted to take a break, in any case, sooner or later

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I, too, sometimes have no desire to play poker, then I take a break and start playing when the desire appears.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play online poker for 11 years as a hobby. I also noticed boredom playing. I am currently playing live - and it gives me great pleasure.
I recommend you make a 2-week break and go on vacation. Good luck :)

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is all they need, this is all they need, this is its strategic complexity and subtleties.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most successful ABM play poker, not just because they can beat him, but because they like all of his strategic difficulties and subtleties.
The ability to freely manage your time is a huge plus in any field of activity.
No matter how much you like poker, if you have to play it professionally, from time to time you will start to get tired of it.
In the end, poker should not be all-consuming. He can still delight you both emotionally and financially, without being a job.

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its your main source of income then a break is well deserved after you have made enough money. Otherwise no break will ease the mind. Just a thought.