TAG players heads up

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi folks

Looking for some opinions on how to tackle a certain type of player heads up. They are extremely nitty but when they do bet/raise it's for colossal amounts.

I can probably take 3/4 blinds in a row pre-flop but then I'm either getting called and blown off my hand or I'm getting reraised something silly i.e 325 into a pot of 40.

It makes me uncomfortable to c-bet as they usually call or raise huge and betting the turn makes me feel like I'm about to get value owned, so I just end up being super passive and ABC.

The logical assumption would be to just take their blinds pre-flop as they keep folding in the SB and BB but it doesn't really make a significant difference once you factor in them 3-betting me and calling my raises and donking into me for a PSB.

It feels like they are just playing premium broadways/Ax super aggressively and hoping to hit on the turn or the river but I've also been value owned by a pocket pair on occasion too.

Any advice appreciated!

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya steal a lot and then either cbet atc or start checking either trash or nuts (work out what works better) basically exploit the hell out of him. If you are increasing the frequency decrease the sizing (gto) and vice versa, unless you see that you can exploit him in other ways.
Assuming you are deep checking strongish draws are good idea against aggro opponents so he cant start stabbing you atc if you decide to take the root of checking the bottom of your range,
Good Luck, it would help if you send couple examples as these guide lines are very general.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi folks

Looking for some opinions on how to tackle a certain type of player heads up. They are extremely nitty but when they do bet/raise it's for colossal amounts.

I can probably take 3/4 blinds in a row pre-flop but then I'm either getting called and blown off my hand or I'm getting reraised something silly i.e 325 into a pot of 40.

It makes me uncomfortable to c-bet as they usually call or raise huge and betting the turn makes me feel like I'm about to get value owned, so I just end up being super passive and ABC.

The logical assumption would be to just take their blinds pre-flop as they keep folding in the SB and BB but it doesn't really make a significant difference once you factor in them 3-betting me and calling my raises and donking into me for a PSB.

It feels like they are just playing premium broadways/Ax super aggressively and hoping to hit on the turn or the river but I've also been value owned by a pocket pair on occasion too.

Any advice appreciated!

Against a tight aggressive player you know your gonna steal chips all the way so always raise min and villan will fold if he calls you know hes got something so fold. eventually you will take his chips time and patience will prevail thats the way you win these spin and goes min raise and fold to raises unless you have a really strong hand and avoid all ins unless you have a monster.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use Dan Harrington's strategy for heads-up and it has worked well so far. Against such opponents he suggests going all-in with any hand placed in the top 20%:
5-5 + pairs
A8s, A9o, KQ, QJ.

Its strategy is based on the fact that in a game of two opponents the cards that both receive most of the time are garbage. The strategy contemplates many other situations, when to call, when to raise. I recommend you check it. It's in Holdem Harrington VOL. 2

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grab as many blinds as you can and wait until you have the cards on the big raise. I try to call them so they will give me all their chips willingly. Don't want to scare off the donk bully.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
As some have suggested in the thread: stab with as little as needed when you are the first to bet (eg mini-raise PF and CB small) as long as they over-fold.

And fold yourself if they are under-bluffing and betting big with value if you don't have strong hand.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone once told me with a Nit you steal their money and then you are basically freerolling and calling their all ins with their own money.

J

Jordansimo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As some have suggested in the thread: stab with as little as needed when you are the first to bet (eg mini-raise PF and CB small) as long as they over-fold.

And fold yourself if they are under-bluffing and betting big with value if you don't have strong hand.

Thank you, that's solid advice. I've fallen into a trap a few times, as it seems to be the basic strategy with a low of the micro stakes fish hunters that they will just fold until they get a pocket pair and either set mine, or stack off with an overpair where their opponent has top pair, or otherwise they will have top pair and the opponent will also with a lesser kicker. It seems quite clever in theory and I'm guilty to say I got trapped by pocket Aces with QK on a Q high board