Table talk; where is your limit?

Do you report table chat that's conflicting with integrity rules?

• Never, f* etiquette

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Never, I just let it go by

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes, when I'm affected

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always when it's against the rules

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to talk a bit live. Not much online unless I feel lik expressing frustration at times.

Zokac71

Zokac71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not turn off the chat, but sometimes it annoys me so much that I just have to turn it off, because some people have no borders, and it distracts you from the game.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
What Will Kassuf was doing , he was obviously using psycological warfare tactics and language on his opponents , all the package , his moves ,his voice tone , the irritating speech , if he had the right he would revile/call names on other players , especially the women I guess ,all these way too much out of line ,all this is abuse of his and all the others players' rights so it's unacceptable . When I play and I dont want anybody to bully on me I because the game is so important (it's a final table or sth like that ) I switch off the chat , and I think this is the most appropriate method to deal with guys who try to bully you and make you lose your temper .Even on cardschat games you can see that sometimes , I was playing final and sb was calling me donkey and fish (you know , with the images/icons/smileys the pokerstars software has) all the time ,I didn't swhitch off the chat then unfortunatelly and he affected me cause I was very nervous and this is my charachter . There were sometimes I lost a pot to donkeys and I called them donkey or fish on pokerschool league . Is this right or wrong ?? I guess it's poker , sometimes , from agression you might say sth more than you should , but generally this has to be controlled , you must behave yourself , you should not overdo it with repeated annoyance , there is difference between sb who calls you once sth and sb who does it all the time , sb who call you sth that all use like fish and sb who says sth for your sexuality or family. Of course then you switch off the chat or you sue him cause pokerstars mods don't do anything I assure you , that is checked ,if they ban from chat for 1 day or 2 days , sure , big deal....

D

dutch_nick53

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
table talk

it's fine by me most people just dig their own holes to crawl into :) as long as it stays within the given rules not stating who passed what cards ect is all fair in love and poker. Will Kassuf haha what a guy just uses his aura to put people on tilt 10/10

TiReX

TiReX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you disable chat?Many poker rooms have the ability to disable messages for a specific person(if he wrote all.....).I chat is not turned off,and indeed there is much not written,in very rare cases.And the "crying" we are not paying attention.Occasionally I may write something would stop whining)

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dunc8bThe one exception is the CC league games I play in and rail. It is now week 6 and with playing the within the same group of players for a while it's now nice to chat while playing. I can encourage my team mates and they do they same for me.
I agree, mostly. I did got the feeling that the chat on Ccgames is nice, sometimes very funny and friendly. But I don't want to be an ass here … sometimes I think it's a bit too friendly. Don't understand me wrong. I hate it when chat becomes vulgar, aggressive or just childish, but I have noticed that on Ccgames, some people tend to make felicitations about so many hands. Many times they loose their hand to another one, they say: NH, even when the hand wasn't that nice or special or … Of course I rather have this then hate talk, but sometimes it doesn't feel real for me. Not really sincere or necessary … do you understand what I mean? To me it sometimes looks as if we have to be 100% politically correct, because we're all “friends” of CC. In the end we just stay rivals. Everyone wants to win, no? Again, I think it's great that someone gets congratulated if he/she makes a great move, but it bothers me a bit when I hear it all the time … like we're in a competition of friendliness instead of poker. When you're railing for someone it's another thing, but in the game I think it's weird to keep on encouraging the opponents.

Jason Yocham How far is too far when it comes to trying to get into someone's head?
There are 2 things I want to say about that. To be clear I'll speak about online poker, 'cause that's what I do. One: there are things that are just forbidden, but what I see sometimes in online poker: f.ex. Talking about the hand while the hand is still in action or announcing chip dumping. And two: etiquette: talking in other languages, racist, obscene or extremely insulting talk, … Pokerstars even has in its rules that things like that are strictly forbidden. It's 'cause of that why I started this thread. I wasn't speaking about my own feelings, but more about rules and when you report violations.

BigJamo Live is a big social thing anyway and you cant change what peeps are gunns do, just have a good sense of humor is the best way.
I do agree with that last part. But I'm not sure that you're right with saying one cannot change what 'peeps or guns do'. I presume you mean that some people shoot ugly language as guns? In that case, I think there can be something done. It's not that I let it influence my game, but I think I can keep my cool and humor on the one hand and be disgusted by the language at the same time. When the lines are really crossed (for me), f.ex. When death threats are made, disgusting racist talk, … I feel an intern obligation to report it. For me it's the same thing in real life. F.ex. When I hear my neighbor saying real offensive things to his wife, I gently intervene … “com'on guy, that's not necessary. That must hurt her. Peace!” Something like that. Maybe it helps that I'm a girl, so the aggressiveness doesn't turn to me. I always was like that. Bullying will never stop if no one does anything about it or just laugh it away. And I am not talking about the person that is being bullied, but about the witnesses.

quick: Online is pretty brutal talk. Insults, name calling, rants, etc. I think I may switch it off in most cases but i have occasionally had good conversation in the chat boxes before. It's a lot easier to berate someone online than live of course and even I have fallen victim to saying some not so nice things online which I am working on because it's bad for poker, bad for me, and just bad in general!
:) Good one! I totally agree.

Some players give away a little too much info or borderline cross what many would consider to be proper table rules. For example: I had a player the other night on multiple occasions show me his cards and smile and laugh (I wasn't in the hand and it was against the guy we had all figured out was on reckless aggro tilt). I didn't respond to this until the hand was over, I didn't want to 1.) accidentally reveal an expression or something and give away his hand or 2.) worse be accused of some sort of collusion. Wait until the hand is over and dead if you want to show your cards! I also think it's poor taste and against the rules in many rooms to discuss what you had before the hand is over.
So true. Like I said above, this is why I started this thread and I was especially interested in when someone intevenes, f.ex. by reporting the table talk. Sadly, not to many people did the voting or explained when they do so. Like so often, people seem to read one sentence and just react quickly.

I think it's ok for other players live to talk about another player, I think it's a bit of a head game though. Clearly the other player may notice this. As long as it's not vulgar or personally insulting I think it's ok if you're discussing or joking about misplayed hands or something. Some may disagree.

I do agree that that is a part of the game. Mentally challenging the others, but as you said as long as it's not vulgar or personally insulting.

Speak with your chips and play fair
Very nicely said, sir!:)

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i sometimes say dumb things when i'm bored and ready for action. i say things like "Please stop calling my bluffs it hurts my feelings" Just dumb stuff like that, sometimes the players will say something funny in response. If other players are chatting or in a argument, I just watch and laugh to myself. This 1 guy on BoL spammed the chat and i think he got banned.. he just vanished from tourney, i checked the tourney list to see if he got moved to another table, but his name was not on the list anywhere. I never saw someone get banned in the middle of a tourney like that, was crazy.

Moonchild

Moonchild

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i sometimes say dumb things when i'm bored and ready for action. i say things like "Please stop calling my bluffs it hurts my feelings" Just dumb stuff like that, sometimes the players will say something funny in response. If other players are chatting or in a argument, I just watch and laugh to myself. This 1 guy on BoL spammed the chat and i think he got banned.. he just vanished from tourney, i checked the tourney list to see if he got moved to another table, but his name was not on the list anywhere. I never saw someone get banned in the middle of a tourney like that, was crazy.
You: Funny! I think it's relaxing when people start to talk like that. It makes the online gaming more 'personal'. Do you understand what I mean? That's it' not only you, your pc and some weird names on a table. For me that kind of table talk makes the game more enjoyable for me.

The other guy (The 1 on Bol)-> karma! :) Maybe he talked himself into a heart attack, fell on his keyboard, logged out that way and died ... alone.

But I'm still wondering ... do you report trash talk?