strategy against my friends who are all loose passive players

D

DaReazon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play texas holdem with my friends every weekend and the are all loose passive they play to see the pot no matter what and it gets frustrating here is an example, I was dealt pocket AA the blinds are only 5-10 i raise it up to 90 everyone folds except 1 player and the flop comes Q,4,8, i check he bets 50 i raise to 2 dollars he calls so im thinking he has Qeens, next card comes out i forgot what it was he bets again i push all in he calls and he flips over 4,8 off suit and i was mad how do u call a raise with 4,8 off suit so how should i play players like this ur opinions would be great thinks,

the 323

the 323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i like this theres no strategy call raise allin but with hands u can rrely on play passive too and raise flop

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...the blinds are only 5-10...

...how do u call a raise with 4,8 off suit...

You call a raise with 4/8o because it's $.05/$.10 poker and somtimes it's fun to pay just to see the flop.

It's all about the $$. I play $.10/ante poker with family/friends all the time. I have a brother-in-law who will call me pre-flop EVERY time, no matter what I bet just so he can catch up with some crappy hand (he's admitted it).

There's nothing you can do but push and pray at a cheap home game. (or even cheap online play)

Have you ever watched Poker After Dark or High Stakes Poker? Those guys will call $xxx or $xxxx sometimes $x,xxx with absolute crap just to see the flop and try to suck out. While you and I know it's not the "right" move, people do it at all stakes.

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever watched Poker After Dark or High Stakes Poker? Those guys will call $xxx or $xxxx sometimes $x,xxx with absolute crap just to see the flop because they have excellent implied odds. While you and I know it could be the "right" move, I don't recommend doing it at micro stakes.

FYP

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just tighten up, dont make big pots without anything less than two pair or three of a kind, if you're opponents want to get in with nothing than make sure that nothing can never beat your something. Top pair isnt good when you opponent hits two pair playing 48o.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Home games are casual. Friends like to play not sit and wait like many of us do. It's hard to get people out of a pot preflop who are there in a casual nature.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to see flops if it's not going to cost much. Don't try anything fancy post flop. If you don't have top pair, be prepared to throw them away. If you hit 2 pair or better, bet your life on the hand.

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you kidding ? You want them to call with 8-4os preflop. They aren't going to hit two pair all the time. Just punish them with value bets, make them pay for not being able to fold top pair. Yes, they will get lucky sometimes, but playing premium hands will beat them over time.

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You call a raise with 4/8o because it's $.05/$.10 poker and somtimes it's fun to pay just to see the flop.

It's all about the $$. I play $.10/ante poker with family/friends all the time. I have a brother-in-law who will call me pre-flop EVERY time, no matter what I bet just so he can catch up with some crappy hand (he's admitted it).

There's nothing you can do but push and pray at a cheap home game. (or even cheap online play)

Have you ever watched Poker After Dark or High Stakes Poker? Those guys will call $xxx or $xxxx sometimes $x,xxx with absolute crap just to see the flop and try to suck out. While you and I know it's not the "right" move, people do it at all stakes.

I hate it when the game is played this way. However, you cant whine about it because someone is trying to suck out on you. Ill gladly put my money in with AA when someone is trying to beat me with 48o. These are the exact kind of players you make good money off of in the long run. You just have to be able to withstand the bad beats.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its so easy to play vs those players, just raise, and make them pay you off.
And the hand where you had AA, and the LP bet into the pot. You should fold that as quick as you possibly can.

Edit: Or if you are deepstacked you can call for your 2-outer

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bring lots of booze. Stay sober

Thats funny. Last time I went to my buddies house to play a home game they tried to get me drunk so they could level the playing field a bit. It was quite amusing that I only had 1 beer and had them doin shots before the night was over. Needless to say I lost my 1st 3 buyins of $50 a piece. The 4th time I bought in, I didnt lose it and walked out of there with $600.......

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pretty F'ed up home game... lol $50 Buyin, I need your friends

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Loose passive aka calling stations. Value bet them and do not bluff.

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if there loose,,,then wen u pik up big pp preflop make silly high raises and make them pay good money 2 see a flop..ule defo get 1 numty callin the bet,with a rag ace,,,but ule prob chase off 84 siuted etc

steak vegita

steak vegita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost same exact hand happend to me except the guy had 10 4 i hadd AA. Flop came k 10 2 i bet alot he calls turn is 4 i go all in he calls and beats me. This was a local tournament and knocked me out of having a chance at like 700$...

T

tubbs65

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If players are looose at the table play tight and vice versa, aa v 84o will win far more than it loses u just got unlucky

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If players are looose at the table play tight and vice versa, aa v 84o will win far more than it loses u just got unlucky
This is such a common missconception.
So if someone is playing loose, you should play tight, and then they should play even looser, and you should play even tighter? Then everyone should always just play either as loose or as tight as they possibly can?
Feels like there is something wrong with the logic there...
Truth of the matter is that you can play loose vs loose players, as long as you are playing tighter than them, and you can steal a lot vs tight players, but you need to play tighter than tight vs them when they call or raise.
And then there are lots of different categories of loose players and tight players, and you need to be able to adapt.
A player can be very tight pre-flop and very loose post flop, or the opposite.