Stop calling people donks!!

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let people play the way they want to. It's their money and who are you to criticize the way they play their cards?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let people play the way they want to. It's their money and who are you to criticize the way they play their cards?

This has been going on in poker since forever. In fact, many people have been able to use this to "tilt"players.

If it really upsets you, you know you can turn the "chat" off on all the online sites.

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has been going on in poker since forever. In fact, many people have been able to use this to "tilt"players.

If it really upsets you, you know you can turn the "chat" off on all the online sites.

When I call their mom a donk or a monkey they shut up. But that's beside the point. People are allowed to play any way they want to. Sometimes in tournaments I like to go all in every hand. It's fun for me. There is no rule against it.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's not ok for them to call you a donk but fine for you to call their mom a monkey? :rolleyes:

K

KPC16

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I get called everything in the book when I fold x amount of hands and then come out of the blue with a hand that wins. Apparently, my playstyle rubs people the wrong way.

Normino

Normino

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't usually read chat however this isn't the case on 888 poker.. it auto appears above you're head when you chat , however I may think someones a donkey bout would never write it in the chat lol

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't bother me, every competition has some kind of trash talk. There are probably trying to get into someone's head or they just lost a big pot. Either way let them play and lose their chips.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was hoping the OP had updated their profile so I could see their username for the poker sites they use.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a fairly standard term like donk bet although that has become leading bet for a nicer expression. But do the actual sites frown upon these words? Doesn't seem to as the give you donkey icons to display. Stars and partypoker even allow the fish hook animation in way encouraging it.

The throwing shit seems a bit harsh of an animation.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Come on man, taking all the fun out of the game! I'm one that doesn't tap the glass, let them play as bad as they want. I'll withdraw and they can deposit, no one is the wiser.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a lifelong donk I do not approve of this thread.

I won't know who's paying attention if people stop calling me a donk!

Good luck. :D

RiverRick

RiverRick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no rule for not calling you donk then, so shut up and enjoy your game

There is no rule saying I can't slap the shit out of you for calling me a donk.

It's not ok for them to call you a donk but fine for you to call their mom a monkey? :rolleyes:

No but tough titties.

It doesn't bother me, every competition has some kind of trash talk. There are probably trying to get into someone's head or they just lost a big pot. Either way let them play and lose their chips.

Exactly

Come on man, taking all the fun out of the game! I'm one that doesn't tap the glass, let them play as bad as they want. I'll withdraw and they can deposit, no one is the wiser.

Calling someone a donk is a corny fad

It's a fairly standard term like donk bet although that has become leading bet for a nicer expression. But do the actual sites frown upon these words? Doesn't seem to as the give you donkey icons to display. Stars and Partypoker even allow the fish hook animation in way encouraging it.

The throwing shit seems a bit harsh of an animation.

You guys are missing the point. I love name calling. But donk is judgement on the way someone plays their hand. People can play the way they want and should not have to be called a donk. Most people who call others donks are just mad because now they can't play their hand how they hoped to.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is Recreational

When I call their mom a donk or a monkey they shut up. But that's beside the point. People are allowed to play any way they want to. Sometimes in tournaments I like to go all in every hand. It's fun for me. There is no rule against it.

This is recreational poker, play how you maximize your fun. For me, I don’t like losing money, so all in all the time is not for me. Unless you are trying to make money in this game, I would say grab a beer and have fun.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Personally, I used to call people out much more frequently and a lot more scathingly than I ever do now.

To be perfectly honest, I try my hardest not to mention it whatsoever these days...

Because if someone wants to play awful cards and make catastrophically bad EV calls out of position in the hope that they bink a miracle card, firstly, they are (as you say) free to do so and, secondly, why in my right mind would I want to discourage any of my opponents making it easier to beat them and more fruitful for me at the same time?

Lots of very simple perspective and mentality mistakes that are easy to make and extremely rewarding to correct.

:wink:

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never said someone is donk. Donk bet is not bad, I will donk bet mostly on turn when I smell something weak from the opponents or I have some advantages. And if someone calls you donk or something else, don't be afraid or angry. You have your own style to play and just do it. I feel you just start to play poker for a short time. When you play for a long time (many years), you will feel it is very normal even you will not care about it and you just want to pay attention and play an AA game. Just calm down, everything will pass over. Poker is not a game that just requires skills but also a strong mind. So just concentrate to play your game, improve your poker and your mind every day, I believe you will become a strong player.

Last edited:
C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

Yeah . It seems to me that the players that are calling other players donks, usually have just lost the hand and are leaving the table.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling someone a donk is a corny fad

RR, you’re almost asking for it with the use of “corny fad”. About as outdated as “donk”, don’t you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
I frankly do not criticize each one of them play as they want but it is good to advise them that their way of playing will not lead them to anything since later they will end up losing in good tournaments

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
If the name fits.

The players criticising are most likely better players. :top:

UTG Donk shoved aipf, then next hand punted off what was left with 46os.

8091f3f7f4f70fd3461d46a066f7eb61.png

:bandit:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If the name fits.

The players criticising are most likely better players. :top:

UTG Donk shoved aipf.

8091f3f7f4f70fd3461d46a066f7eb61.png

:bandit:

Hahaha...

That's not a donk, that's a Petty Officer.

Unless you're chief petty officer he commands your respect, even when you've just taken the shirt off his back... :flute:

:laugh: