Stick To One Type Of Game Or Mix It Up?

B

bw07507

Legend
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Total posts
2,219
Im just curious how many of you guys play strictly one type of game or if you play all sorts. For as long as I have played I have always jumped around playing STTs one day, Ring games the next and then MTTs the next, 6max, FR, whatever I felt like playing. I would even throw in a random game of omaha every once and a while. I play totally differently in each of the different game types. Lately Ive been playing almost strictly NLHE cash with a random MTT mixed in occasionally. I have won at every game/game type I have played (except I am break even with MTTs, which if you saw one of my previous threads I am basically giving up on).

I know a lot of people try to stick to one type of game so they can perfect a strategy specifically for what they are playing. Does anyone else play a mix like i do?
 
P

ph_il

...
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Total posts
9,845
Awards
1
I play mostly NLHE and usually stick with SnGs or MTSnGs because thats where I think I do the best in. Probably because they're so frequent and I am able to play them so often. I just recently started getting into MTTs, and I seem to do decent in them. No results to brag about or anything. As for cash games, I play these the least because I get bored playing cash games. I've definitely given them an honest shot, but as a player and for personal reason, I prefer to stick with SnGs and MTTs.
As for other types of games, I know how to play and know basic strategies for Omaha/hi-lo, Razz, 7stud/hi-lo and I'll sometimes hop onto a table. Usually its a small buy in tourney like The Ferguson, a CC event, or a freeroll. I dont know enough about the game to make want to play it as frequent as I do NLHE. Maybe if I took the time to get to know them better and proper strategies, I'll play them more often.
 
SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Total posts
330
I don't like MTT's, so I stay away, I do better at smaller tables so I usually try and find the cash table with the least amount of people, usually 6 max, but my specialty is heads up so I like playing those. In type of game, I play Holdem, but frequent Razz and Stud H/L and Stud tables, I'm terrible at Omaha, I play very tight and I fold the nuts for some stupid reason. I like mixed games, so I do play HORSE and HA, but my favourute game is Crazy Pineapple which unfortunetely I can't play online.
 
CubKiller

CubKiller

Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Total posts
23
When I'm beginning to go on tilt I'll switch over and play some omaha but that's about it.
 
M

markkaz

Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Total posts
78
If I am at the casino, I play $40 or $100 (buy-in) Texas Holdem, no limit. I have never entered a professional tournament.

Online, I mostly play pokerstars SnG's but you will find me at the cash games once in awhile. Small stakes, holdem, no-limit.

If I am on vacation, I'm fine with playing small stakes holdem limit games.

I have never played any other poker games for money. I have dabbled in the free games of Omaha but would also like to try out 7 card stud and other classic poker games.
 
Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Total posts
1,406
I mix up my game but I play for enjoyment. I believe if you are in it for money, you should probably stick to one game for the reasons you stated. If you are in it for recreation, then do what you want and have fun.
 
M

Miggs

Guest
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Total posts
27
I can see why people would wana mix it up with different games, but i prefer to play the same games (SNG's) because i have built up an effective strategy - personally moving between different stakes, strategys and methods just dont make sense me. but thats just personal choice.
 
PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Total posts
822
I started off just playing NLHE, but have since dabbled in the other games. Now, I play just about anything. But, I keep my non-specialties like HORSE and Omaha hi/lo at lower stakes, so as not to affect my BR as much.

I think, if nothing else, playing a variety of games gives you experience in changing up your playing speed/style; something that is essential if you want to be a great player.
 
nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Joined
Oct 3, 2007
Total posts
8,477
Since it was 5 and 7 stud that I started playing live in the late 60's, hard to break old habits. 7 stud is still my fav. Play holdem online only because it's the most frequent offering and even there try to stay with the limit games.

Old dogs, new tricks, and all that ... ;)

Online I seldom play Oma-haha and stud h/l. Too many chasers that only know how to play bet 'n' pray.
 
111-THEMAD-111

111-THEMAD-111

Rock Star
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Total posts
108
Try playing some HORSE tourneys from time to time. It will expand your mind and help you find your forte(ones strong point).
 
B

billybob16

Guest
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Total posts
20
I play about 80% NLHE SNG as my main game, and the remaining 20% is a mix of all the other games.

However, I only play one at a time. Like I will say "today is an omaha day" or decide I will only play ring games for a while. I find it difficult to switch gears between the games and the SNG, MTT, ring formats so I stick with one at a time.

Just to give an example of why I do this, let's say you play holdem and omaha. Ring games, SNG, and MTT all require somewhat different strategies. And then you can choose from limit, pot limit, or no limit. So between those two games you have 18 different variations! Best to focus on one but get experience in them all.
 
CubKiller

CubKiller

Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Total posts
23
I play about 80% NLHE SNG as my main game, and the remaining 20% is a mix of all the other games.

However, I only play one at a time. Like I will say "today is an omaha day" or decide I will only play ring games for a while. I find it difficult to switch gears between the games and the SNG, MTT, ring formats so I stick with one at a time.

Just to give an example of why I do this, let's say you play holdem and omaha. Ring games, SNG, and MTT all require somewhat different strategies. And then you can choose from limit, pot limit, or no limit. So between those two games you have 18 different variations! Best to focus on one but get experience in them all.

you would hate to see my screen then. I multi with sngs mtt's and cash games all at the same time.
 
T

tazwander

Guest
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Total posts
27
Im just curious how many of you guys play strictly one type of game or if you play all sorts. For as long as I have played I have always jumped around playing STTs one day, Ring games the next and then MTTs the next, 6max, FR, whatever I felt like playing. I would even throw in a random game of omaha every once and a while. I play totally differently in each of the different game types. Lately Ive been playing almost strictly NLHE cash with a random MTT mixed in occasionally. I have won at every game/game type I have played (except I am break even with MTTs, which if you saw one of my previous threads I am basically giving up on).

I know a lot of people try to stick to one type of game so they can perfect a strategy specifically for what they are playing. Does anyone else play a mix like i do?
You have to play whatever feels comfortable for you. If you like the variety, then mix it up. If you are playing in a league then you are stuck with that one game, so improve your game if you can.
Basically we can't help you, only you can decide what is right for you
 
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Total posts
8,583
Awards
1
I mostly play NLHE, because that's where most of the action is, but I enjoy playing other games and I'm always trying to improve at them.

If you can get good at other games, you can often get a bigger edge over your opponents than you'd have in NLHE.
 
J

jedimoose

Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Total posts
55
Definitely like to mix it up but never at the same time. If im playing more then 1 table they are the same game. I believe the other non NL holdem games will make you a better player at NL holdem as well. Omaha and stud are definitely my least favorite, yet i love stud h/l and O h/l. The reason is not because i play more pots in those games, just seem to have a feel for those two. For some reason im just terrible at Omaha could use a mentor at that game. Never want to be in a position where i cant play a good game, because im overmatched or just dont know how to play.
 
KenFischer

KenFischer

Rock Star
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Total posts
401
I like mixed games, so I do play HORSE and HA, but my favourute game is Crazy Pineapple which unfortunetely I can't play online.

FYI, Ultimate Bet has Crazy Pineapple ring games (hidden under "other" with triple draw).

I like to play a wide variety of games - currently in 2 SNGs (one each NLHE and PLO) and will probably play the HORSE $4K that goes off in about an hour :)
 
Top 10 Games
Top