Stare-Downs ??? Are they necessary ?

Sakolik029

Sakolik029

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you can make the other player nervous from your view, it's not bad,everyone can take advantage of it if able

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its part of the game, just cover up if you need to, Phil Laak does it all the time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 7.52.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 7.52.53 PM.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 15
CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I will take a minute so size up an opponent. Strictly to get a read, of course.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 7.57.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 7.57.25 PM.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 15
T

TossUpKing

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it's to scare them into thinking you'll kill them if they don't lose. LOL. ;)

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
staring

What is the logic behind someone staring at you for 4 minutes before they make a call ?? Are they looking to see if the you get nervous ??

Good cards or bad cards, it pisses me off when someone just stares at me. That stare alone will make me agitated and probably make me look suspicious regardless of my cards.

Are you a starer ??? How do you deal with these donkeys ???

me I would not know how it would feel if some one is staring at me before they make a call or fold. if they do that to many time I would start asking for a clock. and if they do it to many times i saw a director on a poker game that was on tv. the director gave that player a warning for burning time. The donkeys I don't like are the one's that goes all in with a A rag and hits or and here you are you raise with a pocket pair of cowboys. and they call with that A rag and takes you out even if you bet 5x the big blind or goes all in.

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Truth be told, I do this at times and I'm only looking for ONE of TWO things, Absolute Comfort or Glimmers of Panic, most often seen in their pulse rate in the neck (as compared to my feeling of my own under the table on my wrist) and through color changes in the face. I personally pay little attention to any tells around the mouth b/c they are the most often fainted.

For all you new to live poker, remember the above, it comes from a very profitable live player who now makes a living on the felt. (Not a pro, I love my family time too much) : )

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never taken four minutes. However I will pause for a minute maximum (which is a long time) in a live cash game to 1. Get a read on my opponent which I think I do fairly well at and 2. To contemplate how strong my opponent is when putting in a raise. For example I may think "what does he think I have?" Making the correct raise is extremely important whether bluffing or trying to get paid off in my so I sometimes take my time.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Acting 101

I know what they are looking for so I use the reverse technique, when I bet big: 10BB or all in with the nuts or monster hand, I pretend I am nervous move around avoid their eyes, pretend to be sweeting, so they will think I am bluffing. Must time they call and then, Big win! :)

K

kdr723

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be helpful in getting a bluff through if you can hold your crap together.

Last time a guy stared me down, he was sitting directly to my left and it was after I had bet ~3/4 pot on a bluff, I stared back into his eyes and we locked for a good 10-15 seconds before he folded.

I peed my pants a little put my bluff got through so it was okay

D

dontquit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love to stare. Take a look at my play on twitch under HPTpoker. We just played the Ameristar East Chicago where I won. It's easy to get tells and make em squirm!!!

R

rickroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too many people see oh he's agitated but then can't tell the difference if it's feigned or real and also can't tell if they are nervous about losing or excited about cleaning you out

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i stare at someone and they talk atraight away saying oh wow you have a great stare.

Was i right thinking he had the nutz?? Cuz he would b silent otherwise or is it opposite most times??