This = split pot?

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
All the cards were hearts, ace high.. Doesn't that mean its a split pot?

That would give everyone a "flush ace high" regardless of what hearts card they had, correct?

If not then I truely feel like an idiot, I saw this happen, a guy went all in the next guy folded. No way of anyone having anything better like a str flush or anything before that.

When I said this, 3 people started making fun of me saying I don't know anything and the guy who folded said "he could have had a king"..

:( :confused: :eek:

I play 10/25 NL

Updated Feb 2018:

Don't stop at the first post in this thread - you have to read the rest of it! It is what movies are made of and you will get some great comedic relief!

On a serious note - always remember that your best hand is the best 5 cards out of the ones on the board and the 2 in your hand. A flush or straight on the board will not always result in a split pot.

It looks like this member would have benefited from some bankroll Management. Here is a good guide:

Bankroll

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sheepy10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whoevers holding the highest heart in their hole cards wins the pot.

not a split

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You realy need to study poker before you play for your sake.All poker uses the best 5 cards,say the board was ah 8h 9h jh 2h if a guy had pokect js an the other guy had 7s 3h 3 of hearts win the pot.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You realy need to study poker before you play for your sake.All poker uses the best 5 cards,say the board was ah 8h 9h jh 2h if a guy had pokect js an the other guy had 7s 3h 3 of hearts win the pot.

According to my understanding you win a flush with the highest suited card, in this case everyone would have a "flush ace high" sense the five cards that came up were all hearts with a ace.

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. If the board is [Ah][6h][7h]/[Qh]/[2h], and one person has [Kh][8s] and another person has [Js][Kc], then the hands look like this:

Person 1: [Ah][Kh][Qh][7h][6h]
Person 2: [Ah][Qh][7h][6h][2h]

Person 1 wins the whole pot because their K is higher than the Q of person 2's hand. Both 5 card hands have to be exactly the same to be a split pot.

And no offense intended, but if you don't know that, you most likely want to step down a limit or two. I could be wrong. But this is a very basic rule of NLHE that even most 1c/2c NL players know.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NO NO NO HIGHEST FLUSH BECAUSE THE 3 WOULD GIVE THE GUY THE HIGHER FLUSH AH 8H 9H JH 3H INSTEAD OF AH 8H 9H JH 2H . YOU UNDERSTAND THE 5 CARD FLUSH IS HIGHER FOR THE 3 OF HEARTS.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
NO NO NO HIGHEST FLUSH BECAUSE THE 3 WOULD GIVE THE GUY THE HIGHER FLUSH AH 8H 9H JH 3H INSTEAD OF AH 8H 9H JH 2H . YOU UNDERSTAND THE 5 CARD FLUSH IS HIGHER FOR THE 3 OF HEARTS.

Don't gotta yell, but thanks.:rolleyes:

S

sheepy10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the guy holding the king of hearts had ace king flush

the nuts in this instance

R

RyanDG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A flush isn't based on the single highest card. Since 5 cards make up any poker hand, all 5 cards that are played are used to determine the winning hand. If players share several of the same cards making the flush, the player with the highest non-shared card (or kicker) has the winning hand.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No. If the board is A♥6♥7♥/Q♥/2♥, and one person has K♥8♠ and another person has J♠K♣, then the hands look like this:

Person 1: A♥K♥Q♥7♥6♥
Person 2: A♥Q♥7♥6♥2♥

Person 1 wins the whole pot because their K is higher than the Q of person 2's hand. Both 5 card hands have to be exactly the same to be a split pot.

And no offense intended, but if you don't know that, you most likely want to step down a limit or two. I could be wrong. But this is a very basic rule of NLHE that even most 1c/2c NL players know.

I make around $5/hour per table (I play 5 tables at a time currently), does that mean I need to step down?

Honestly I never really thought about this.. It doesn't seem to matter TOO much sense the odds of being in this kind of situation is very very slim.. I think I've only seen it about 3-4 times now. (thank god my cards were folded each time aye?)

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, but almost every tournament I've ever played in has at least a couple of hands where a flush comes down to who has the next highest hole card of the flush suit. Do you also think that a board of 5-6-7-8-9 is a split pot, even if one player has a 10-x or better yet, J-10?

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, but almost every tournament I've ever played in has at least a couple of hands where a flush comes down to who has the next highest hole card of the flush suit. Do you also think that a board of 5-6-7-8-9 is a split pot, even if one player has a 10-x or better yet, J-10?

Not at all, I simply thought flushes were only based off who has the highest suited card.. idk what put that thought in my mind but now its straight.. :D

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to my understanding you win a flush with the highest suited card, in this case everyone would have a "flush ace high" sense the five cards that came up were all hearts with a ace.

This was your basic mis-conception. Tied Flushes are won by the hi card, if that is a tie then it goes to the NEXT highest card, and so on.

You just didn't realize that the tie would be resolved by going to the next highest card, not dumb, just a misunderstanding.

Believe me, I can screw up ANY simple rule by overthinking it :eek:

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Umm, no offense but are you sure you make $5 and hour? Im guessing ring games since you said it like that. Here are your stats: http://www.pokertableratings.com/fulltilt-player-search/IcyBlueAce

and for SnGs and MTTs here: http://www.pokerprolabs.com/IcyBlueAce/fulltiltpoker.aspx

I might suggest going down in limits and learning the fundamentals of poker before losing anymore money, but to each there own.

*No point in lying to us about your win % only thing it does is hurt yourself.

:eek: Buddy listed!

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IcyBlueAce, better to have learned through this posting than calling someone's all-in and losing a bunch of money. Keep learning!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No. If the board is A♥6♥7♥/Q♥/2♥, and one person has K♥8♠ and another person has J♠K♣, then the hands look like this:

*walks in late*

^ this. Exactly this.

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IcyBlueAce, better to have learned through this posting than calling someone's all-in and losing a bunch of money. Keep learning!

Well said. The Forum is here to help, not judge...apparently.

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1 - again, no offense, but it might be best to take some time to review the hand strengths if you're going to play at 10/25. Although, if you're winning there..

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok guys calm down. It is a very easy NLHE mistake to make really, though the limit you play suggests you should know better :rolleyes:. At least he asked the question.

In variants like stud and draw you learn this lesson quite quickly :).

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is something you won't forget I will bet. I always hate losing to a str flush when I have the A high flush. Happened to me twice. I also have lost with the low end of a str flush twice. I am always leary about putting all my chips in when a str flush is possible.
Someone had cussed at me at a table for not trying to get more money for my A high flush. The other player could have had a str flush easily with two different cards. He told me the odds against it happining and I told him what already happened to me.

RoyalFish

RoyalFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, simple misconception. Fixed. Woah, does that make it a conception now? o_O

I had a similar misconception when I was new. One of us had AAAKK, the other AAKKK. Nobody was sure what the rule was, so we agreed to split the pot. The rule, if anybody reading doesn't know, is that highest trips wins.

RF