Something I don't understand

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you're telling me that even the best $1/2 players can barely get over that? I'm sorry but I have no knowledge on online higher limits

If you count multi-tabling, etc. then there are 200max players who make a living off poker. That being said, it's probably not the most enjoyable living.

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But here was the catch, even though I was rolled enough at the time to instantly start playing nl$100 I decided to start at NL$2 and grind up to the next level as if I was only rolled for the level i was playing at. Ive done that successfully over the last 18 months or so, and in the process have built myself up a nice solid game, and im taking shots at nl$200 one session in every 10 at the moment, and intend to move that up to one in every five in the next few weeks.

I can only imagine the grinding you have done my friend. Mathematically speaking how long do you think it took on average to move up in limits. I imagine as you increase in levels the amount of time and variance increase as well??? From my personal experience dabbling here and there, its difficult for a solid player to fail at the .05/.10-.25/.5 tables, and from there I noticed the most significant increase in level of play. At the 1/2 up to the 2/4 which is close to the range I have played, I never noticed much difference in the play. Is this with your experience too? Honestly, I never spent too much time there, maybe a month at 1/2 and less than that at 2/4 but .5/1$ and .25/.50 I have had my fair share of.

P

peachy00

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bankroll

i think these players are very diciplined, a trait needed to be a long term winner at poker. when they feel comfortable to move up to high limits they will. i am in awe of such players who keep increasing their winnings without losing a majority of it. congrats to all of you.:eek:

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I haven't played anything over $0.25/$0.50, and I never made a steady profit at those limits, which is why I included "not sure how possible this would be"

I was just scaling up, I'm averaging about $5/hour at $0.05/$0.10, figured $1/2 is 20 times the limits, that'd be $100/hour. Knew competition would be tougher, didn't know how much tougher.

$10/hour is 20k a year, figured out at 40-hour week and 50-week year that median American wage-earner makes ~$13/hour.

So you're telling me that even the best $1/2 players can barely get over that? I'm sorry but I have no knowledge on online higher limits

I was just making an educated guess. If you google '200nl' winrate, you'll probably get some more accurate results. There is a standard maximum long-term winrate for each limit; you should be able to find them for each limit on the bigger poker forums.

But ya, as you move up in limits, in general your winrate should go down due to the toughness, but your $/hr could go up. For ex you could be making only 1BB/100hands at 1000nl, but that would crush a 50BB/100 hands at 200nl. Winrates definitely don't increase linearly.

ok, just did a search and found a guy who was posting a very nice brag on another forum; he'd made a very consistent killing at 200nl but was 'only' sustaining 4.5BB/100hands over 286k hands. All while averaging 9.5 tables.