Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sat, 04 Jul 2009 01:42:23

Lady Penalized, Patronized

An unfortunate lady was taken aside by a floorman who most apologetically explained to her that she was being penalized for checking the nuts. "You see, you had the best hand possible, so if someone bets you have to raise and if someone checks you have to bet, you have to create action. See, if you don't, then it's more like a home game, with everyone just checking and all friendly..." The lady in question looked suitably patronized, and was issued her penalty on top of that.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty old but yea, you cant check the nuts as your last action in expensive tourneys.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can if you can honestly claim you didn't realize you had the absolute nuts on the river and they believe you. :)

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can if you can honestly claim you didn't realize you had the absolute nuts on the river and they believe you. :)

Then they tell you your playing out of your league LOL if you dont know what the nuts are then what the hell are you doing playing in the wsop.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then they tell you your playing out of your league LOL if you dont know what the nuts are then what the hell are you doing playing in the WSoP.
Tell that to Phil Ivey that folded a flush on the river to a trivial bet because he forgot he had a spade. His wasn't the nuts obv, but shit happens. You've never misread your hand?

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell that to Phil Ivey that folded a flush on the river to a trivial bet because he forgot he had a spade. His wasn't the nuts obv, but shit happens. You've never misread your hand?

Folding the winning hand = action and attention

So... Folding the nuts = HOLY SHIT!

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe this falls into the category of "Don't tap the glass." Leave the fish alone! Especially in the WSOP Main Event, generally considered a softer field than any other 10k tourney.

There are many people playing in this event who may not realize they have the nuts on some boards and they shouldn't be penalized for this. I think it's bs to enforce this.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many people playing in this event who may not realize they have the nuts on some boards
^^^ This is so true as well. Basically look at the starting field on days 1A-1? they do. There will be a bunch in each of those days that completely dumb-lucked their way into the game and have no real business being there.

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was gonna post something else about this but got incredibly hungry looking at your brisket and now can only think about food......

Panamajoe

Panamajoe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was gonna post something else about this but got incredibly hungry looking at your brisket and now can only think about food......
yummmmm donuts...err.... brisssssket

But where in the rules of poker does it say you have to play correctly? I sure hope that's a written rule 'cuz i agree with the fish theory, don't tap the glass, just milk the fish... yuk... well, u know what i mean.

DaBigBoss

DaBigBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:eek: Are u kidding me? lmao, the way u play can get u penalized?

does this fall in the "trapping" play?lol

MAKE THEM PAY TO PLAY!

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That rule only comes up if you are: last to act on the river, holding the nuts, and your check or call would close the action.

Really, it rarely comes up, and most of the time it does it is due to a misread hand or the player being a clueless fish... Rather than a purposeful softplay to help another player in the hand conserve chips.

So it's one of those rules that has to be on the books "just in case". I think JD is right, that if you claimed ignorance/misread hand, and appear genuine, I think there's a good chance you wouldn't get penalized.

A

AlexisO

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is that for real?
i think she paid her buyin so she can do whatever she wants with her chips..

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wild. I actually wrote about this very thing in a thread about a week ago called "Live Tournament Rules". OzExorcist, who is a an expert about such matters, explained it all very clearly.

If I were ever to enter a WSOP event, I would make sure I knew the rules cold. To check them out, go to www.pokertda.com

E

EmoFrog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow i nvr knew such rules existed. but then again she might be too nervous? happened when i went for my first APPT, kept shivering like hell don't know if the aircon or what

JLtrooper

JLtrooper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion she should be penalized. Granted it may have been a mental error, but there is absolutely no reason you should check/call the nuts on the river unless you are trying to preserve the chips of the other player.

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No, it's worse than that. He didn't fold to a bet, they checked the hand all the way down. All he had to do was turn his hand over. But yeah, you're right, shit happens, and yes I've misread my hand.

T

testreet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really thats crazy...It is kind of like chess in which you have to eat the pond if it's there...is this rule effected in all live poker tournaments or just WSOP because it has to be so official n stuff..I guess she was really trying to trap the opponent but it figues that she should do something if she has the absolute nuts...What episode or what day of WSOP did this happen? I want to check it out

moeraj

moeraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not about trapping.Checking the nuts when you are last to speak cannot help you trap someone.This rule is enforced to stop collusion.She may have been trying to do other player a favor by not trying to get more of that player's chips.

WSOP