Slow play ... Free cards to your opponent ?

Henriquekbnz

Henriquekbnz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, what you think about slow play ? A way to make your oppenent bluff you and make more value , or Just a opportunity to them find their cards ...

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi guys, what you think about slow play ? A way to make your oppenent bluff you and make more value , or Just a opportunity to them find their cards ...

I tend to slow play at Stud. Because even though I start with 2 pairs
At the end my opponents make the straight or a set or a better 2 pairs
Like that I lose less money

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only slow play when I flop a monster, top set or better. Otherwise it just goes south. I get less and less confident I'm ahead.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow playing is a good way to help ensure you lose your hand, or win a very small pot. I do it in very specific circumstances but am ready to fold quickly when things go south, which they usually do.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually slow play when I have a really good hand and with no straight/flush draw in the board.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is better not to play slow play. But against some opponents - a good decision.

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket Aces preflop I am not slowplaying, learned my lessons well by getting stacked by six eight offsuits too many times.
Slowplaying is negative ev, value betting is positive

If the pocket eights of the world want to see a flop against my Aces, they are going to pay a premium to me to offset my losses for the times when they hit the set.

Last edited:
PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly both answers are valid, but slow play is dangerous because your opponents can play a better game with a card like you with 10.10. and the flop comes with 10.9.7 and the opponent with 8.A and the flop shows 10.9.7 4.6, so his slow play would fail if he bet all the time. I believe that there are different actions that we must take at different times so that they don't do it in slow play, in this case it would be an aggressive bet on the flop to see if your opponent already has a straight or if he wants to wait for the free card to win it, so I see a lot of this happening at the tables, but in poker we don't always win because it can happen, but if you play many tournaments right, there will be more chances for you to FT in many

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think this is a bad idea, which is likely to lead to losses in the long run.
Good luck.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
All I can say is you can't protect your hand when playing a bad player. They don't know they should fold. So it all depends on If your playing a good player or a bad player if slow play is good or bad!

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I love slow play! I use it to get my opponents upset, so that they quick play, and put themselves out of the game.

I got this idea from Dan Harrington, and it works well for me.

Here's some of how I work it: When I start a tournament, I will take as much time as I can, and if someone starts hassling me about it, I zero in on that person, and even tell them what I'm going to do. That makes them even madder, and even more impatient, to the point where, sometimes, they'll go all-in against me, just to try and get rid of me.

Then, I use both quick, and slow play, to confuse other players, so that they don't know what type of hand I have. I will slow play enough to get a slow reputation, so that when I have a poor hand, and I'm up against it, I will quickly go all-in, and often times, everyone will fold.

There are lots of benefits to the way anyone plays, as long as they know how to use it.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If such a game gives you good results, then I do not see anything wrong with that, but in general I believe that the skills, discipline and patience of the player are much more important.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you flop a monster and you know your opponent have nothing the only way to extract value is to give him a chance to hit something on turn or river to set the hook and induce a bluff or what he would think a value bet. Also depends on the kind of player you're facing and how wide you think his range is

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Free cards for sure. You beter almost never slowplay.

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you flop a monster and you know your opponent have nothing the only way to extract value is to give him a chance to hit something on turn or river to set the hook and induce a bluff or what he would think a value bet. Also depends on the kind of player you're facing and how wide you think his range is

Yes I agree
You have to give them a chance to catch up

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Feels to me like 9/10 times you’re opponent gets a hit or at least a promising draw from the flop so I tend to get it in early:D

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like giving a villain a chance to beat me from a lucky draw on the turn or river. If I have a hit on the flop, I become a scissorhands.

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely use slow play, because it is very dangerous if there are a lot of outs for the opponent on the table.

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Usually the slow game is at the beginning. it is a super useful tool to develop a game.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

No, I don't like to slow play anything but the nuts. It's just a good way to lose your chips.

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play is the poker thing that depends 100% on what kind of opponent you are facing.

My advice is not like it or not, BUT use it if the expected value is good enough to take a chance.

Is not a standard kind of play, you need to know when, how and why.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I normally like to stay away from slow play unless I’ve flopped the nuts. In the past personally lost far too many hands due to slow playing.

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can be situational. Maybe sometimes you want them to get their card.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
slow play by betting small but never checking