Slow play or fast play? Which is best?

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have nuts or almost nuts, I like to play slowly and show I push call reluctantly, the opponent may think that I am waiting for something and continue to bluff)

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot begin to list the number of times a slowplayer gave me the free card I needed to complete the nuts.
Slowplaying usually results in your opponnent checking behind you and shutting down unless he makes his hand.

C

crabcruncher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As to the speed at which I act, it varies, I am not a bot. If someone is intentionally slowing the game down by acting at the last second of their timebank, I will find another table.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament, it is advantageous to play much faster. Some people have problems with communication because it seems that they deliberately think for a long time. But closer to the prizes, sometimes, it is profitable to deliberately stall for time.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of newer players get all excited about being sneaky and slow playing. The more I play, the better I realise that playing strong hands fast is most often the optimal line.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO slow playing is not the best way to conceal strong hands. Instead bet a polarized range, mixing value bets with bluffs.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
slow play ... very often pisses off the opponent, he starts to get nervous) but I just need it

I

Ikado21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think fast plays seem kinda fishy
I prefer slowrolling for value or bluffs

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To win at poker you need to think head, the speed of the game does not affect the result.:)

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prefer both but im into slow play more especially if i play on bigger stakes.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All depends the moment of the game. But i prefer fast, because slowly boring me

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys, during game play we see players that always call or raise after time bank is activated and some other player since the first seconds.
Which style you play often and which is the logic after it?

I think, from reading the answers, many people did not understand the question. OR , maybe I do not understand what you meant. I am guessing English is not your first language. If we are going through Google translator, maybe we will be more confused after the thread???

1st) "we see players that always call or raise after time bank is activated"

Does this mean villain is taking time just for strategy? OR is villain taking a long time because of difficult decision??

2nd ) "some players act in few seconds"

Is villain attempting to influence with fast decisions ??

Some people assumed you meant "fast" or "slow" play in regards to having a strong hand and slow playing hand to trap or encourage villain to bluff. This is "slow" play. Having a very strong hand, like flopping a set , or flush and attempting to build a pot by betting out is example of "fast" play. Thanks for trying to explain it to me.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Hey guys, during game play we see players that always call or raise after time bank is activated and some other player since the first seconds.
Which style you play often and which is the logic after it?
Take as much time to make what you think is the correct decision.

If you take the same amount of time each time, your opponents don't get any timing tells.

:top:
I use both styles of play, depending on situation, opponent, and stack size.
If I have to choose, I like the fast style of play. Famous professional players also prefer an aggressive style of play.
Aggressive has nothing to do with how long you take to make a decision.

:deal:
Beginners play slow!
I usually find it's the opposite.

FAST FAST AND FASTER. I GOTTA GET TO THE NEXT HAND TY
You won't get to the next hand in a tournament if you make an incorrect decision by not taking time to think about the situation.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I tend to play fast but there are time it will slow down and there can be a few reason. One its most likely I am thinking about how I want to play the hand. IE just raised 3 big hands in a row and now have pocket 2's. This could depend on position what I think others are thinking ect. I could also be in a bigger hand on another table and concentrating on that hand. Could be one of the kids asking a question or just woke up and I am checking on them.

Then there is my issue with poker stars. For some reason it does not always let me know its my turn to play until its about to go to the clock. For some reason it lags on me during league games at times while I have no issue on any of the others. Its odd and I have no idea why.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The time is there for when you have a forward looking decision you need to think about. If you're going to fold fold as fast as possible. If you legitimately have something to think about use the time.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer slow games. On many occasions the speed of the blind raise has eliminated me from various tournaments, and in other cases playing slow tournaments I was able to recover my chips and end up winning those tournaments.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play is good, fast play you have to play push or fold. GL

D

deadguy2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
slow playing kills me a lot. If I got a hand I'm betting or raising.

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It depends on your Position, your Stacksize and the whole cards ofcourse ;)

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every poker discipline has its good points. I like fast poker and turbo tournaments. In games where the game levels are from 10 to 30 minutes, a completely different strategy.))

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally you should take your equity on the flop unless you want their hand to catch up to 2nd best on later streets.