SIT n' GOs or Ring Games?

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is best way to build my bank roll through Cash games or SNGs?

When I first started playing online I played mostly limit holdem cash games, with mixed results, I generally made a little bit of money, but eventually I would loose most or all of it due to bad beats, because at the micro stakes tables there is always 2 or 3 calling stations that play anything to the river. I eventually moved up the higher stakes tables hoping to get away from the calling stations, which seemed to work a little, but my BR wasn’t big enough to play at the higher stakes tables and I eventually lost my BR.

After reading the article about Chris Ferguson’s zero to $10,000 adventure, I decided to play with-in my BR and never (hopefully) make another deposit again, so I started playing a lot of sngs because you can buy-in for only a $1.20 and I don't have to worry about loosing my entire BR because of a few bad beats. What I discovered was my BR has been steadily increasing, because the sngs are much easer (or so it seems) to play. In fact, over the past 2 days I have played 15 sngs and placed 1st in 5 of them and 2nd and 3rd in 3 of them, which is ITM 73% of the time. I guess I should have been playing the sngs all a long.

For those that play sngs on a regular basis what is your win rate for the micro tables ($1.20 or similar)? Is 73% just a lucky streak or is this typical once you learn how to play against a table full of players who seem to have absolutely no clue about holdem strategy? Also can one make a living playing SNGs only? What level would one have to play to make a descent living? How may games a day?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the same exact thing hapent to me startid playing online and lost my Br to bad brm then i deposit again(50$ bouth time) and really buckled up and startid incresing my br one micro table at a time and after that my br haves been rising every day preaty much and now im starting to withdraw in stead of depositing :D.

Itm of 73% and win of 33%(nice job btw) is high even for the micro sng´s u can expect that to drop a litle but if u keep up with the good brm u should be fine if u hit a downswing. And dont let bad beats get to u if your gonna play 1-2$ buy-ins there are gonna be bad beats and u whount like them but just reamember when some one suck out on u that most of the time u whould be taking there chips and not the other way around.

Sure u could make a living playing sng´s but that whould probly not be untill the 200$ level or so and with a 5-6hour work day.
I still think ring games are probly better if you where trying to make a living at it but i for one cant play ring games allways get bored and that gets me off my game.

Keep up the good work and i hope u can keep up the good reasults

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks I do enjoy cash game more then the SNGs, but I win more consitanly at SNGs.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks I do enjoy cash game more then the SNGs, but I win more consitanly at SNGs.

I win more consistently in cash games, though the wins aren't as big compared to the buy-in.

How many ring game tables do you play at once? You might try increasing that number if you enjoy cash games more and want to increase your hourly win rate.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are a good player, then ring is the way forward, it is much much much more rewarding to good players than SNG's as they often descend into crapshoots when blinds get high.

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like your moving along nicely there.Very good SNG %.
I like to switch from rng,to sng,and a few mtt's.
That way I don't get bored with any one type of game.
Hope you keep moving forward.Good luck.

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to switch from rng,to sng,and a few mtt's.
That way I don't get bored with any one type of game.

good idea, I do tend to loose focus after a period of time. Thanks.

T

tendertube

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer sng's over ring games for bankroll building. The object there is to outlast the other players until you are in the money, whereas in ring games you must win hands

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play ring games more now, but sng's are still a big part of my game. I love playing both, and profit from both

icecold24k

icecold24k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same problem here. The microstakes tables are basically a table full of phone booths. There is always one or two players that tend to call all the way down to the river regardless of their hand. I am fairly successful in the SNG tournaments though so i try to stick to them for now. I do not play the turbo ones where the blinds raise quicker, that way im not forced to play marginal hands when i shouldn't. I just stick with the regular SNG. Hope that helps.

S

sanpatso

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play sng and an occasional mtt. I feel I get more practice time since I will see a lot of hands and a lot different poker styles within the tourney. I played online poker for a living for almost 2 years and really only played sng's. Ring games can build your wealth faster but the swings are jsut brutal trust me I know. Either way congrats your numbers are solid so either way you should profit. Good luck and see ya at the tables.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's put it this way, I've profitted about $70 by 8 tabling .02/.05 nlhe for about a month. Sng's I've profitted about $40. There is more profit in cash games, but sng's are good too, especially if you place high on the sng leaderboard on Stars

Top 10 Games