Significant other hates your poker obsession and you don't know what to do???

W

witfighter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well then that makes 2 of us!!! Lol

Post any advice you have. Unless it includes not playing poker anymore lol.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well then that makes 2 of us!!! Lol

Post any advice you have. Unless it includes not playing poker anymore lol.
All I can say is you're not alone... Its Not just Poker... Many Partners don't like many things the other half actually do... That's Life and That's Poker...

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dial it back abit,,,, show her that she's first,,,(nobody likes being second),,, and when you win,share it with her. :girlshit:

N

Nomahoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play poker when she is enjoying her favourite tv show or reading a book not when she wants to go for a walk or whatever it is she likes to do.

If you are winning or just playin micro/freerolls, you are potentially being paid to do something you enjoy. Not many people get paid to enjoy themselves. Most hobbies are expensive and or time consuming. Poker can be neither of these things and you dont have to leave the house!

If she wants you to watch ‘ Greys Anatomy ‘ with het just talk alot, ask alot of questions about the characters. Hopefully she will tire of these annoyances and tell you to go play poker. Worked for me!

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes to be blessed with a partner that is supportive of poker is a dream ,, luckily I have this and just recently setup her up on acr lol :) . good times for poker

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just make a room for her in ur life.. the poker don't die but the relationships can do it.. try to understand that the poker isn't important or not too much important like to put in risk everything.. some people never find the love so..

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
Your better half is for life.

So your partner comes first.

You need to balance both together.
Its doable.

There has to be time for your partner, thats of utmost importance.

Play poker at other times.:)

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple - make yourself the priority. She clearly does not value or appreciate you if she is demanding you change your behaviour and issue ultimatums.

Put yourself and your career first. Don't keep a "significant other" for the sake of checking that box. If poker is your bread and butter, that is.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My wife is supporting me in playing poker because she knows I'm a tough person and has confidence in me that I will not be able to lose large amounts of family budget, and knows how much I like this game. If it were not so I would play when she's gone to work :)

mrgupta

mrgupta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's kind of hard to help without knowing more about you.

Are you a winning player? What are your goals in poker? Do you play live or online poker? How much time daily do you spend on poker? How much time do you spend studying poker? Do you neglect your SO's needs while you play poker? Do you neglect house chores in order to play poker? When asking yourself all these questions, you might even notice that poker isn't really the problem. Maybe your SO doesn't believe that poker is a game of skill and if so, educate him/her.

I find that the key to every relationship is trust and communication. Everything can be sorted out, just talk to your partner. Be honest about yourself, about your goals and dreams when you talk and I'm sure you guys can work it out. After all, you picked your partner for a reason, you've decided on your SO because you want to spend the rest of your life with him/her.

Most importantly, be honest to yourself when you are evaluating your poker skills. Don't think you can be playing poker for a living, when you had 2 great months of running good and suddenly you think you can become a real crusher, so you neglect studying and improving your game.

I've had loads of talks with my girlfriend about poker and she understands now, she even supports it. I've had to explain myself in detail, we've made some compromises regarding chores and how we spend time together and now she's completely fine with it.

Sometimes, she still doesn't give me enough time or space to do poker, no interruptions while playing is the key, but it's a work in progress. It got much better than it was at the start and I'm sure it can get better with you too.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me poker is a hobby. Therefore, I play only for my pleasure. I believe that any obsession or dependence on gambling is very dangerous. Therefore, if you feel that you can not control your emotional state, you should do a long break and think good about everything.

J

Jak0diamonds

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol i love how everyone is just like "your not alone bro" :jd4::cool:

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have balance between family duties and hobbies (poker including). If you use every free time to play poker she is normal to be mad. At the same time if you play occasionally using only hobby money and do your family duties i do not find it normal your partner to be mad. Try to explain her that you play for fun and following strict bankroll management. If needed show her your profile and transactions to convince her. If you win something big buying her present with part of the money will show her that poker can also be good thing. If nothing of that helps - well the choice is your but i personally will not trust partner who do not respect your right to have some hobbies and free time.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I have no obsession. I play poker for fun. But sometimes my girlfriend gets offended when I play for too long, so I have to find a compromise.
Good luck.

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's kind of hard to help without knowing more about you.

Are you a winning player? What are your goals in poker? Do you play live or online poker? How much time daily do you spend on poker? How much time do you spend studying poker? Do you neglect your SO's needs while you play poker? Do you neglect house chores in order to play poker? When asking yourself all these questions, you might even notice that poker isn't really the problem. Maybe your SO doesn't believe that poker is a game of skill and if so, educate him/her.

I find that the key to every relationship is trust and communication. Everything can be sorted out, just talk to your partner. Be honest about yourself, about your goals and dreams when you talk and I'm sure you guys can work it out. After all, you picked your partner for a reason, you've decided on your SO because you want to spend the rest of your life with him/her.

Most importantly, be honest to yourself when you are evaluating your poker skills. Don't think you can be playing poker for a living, when you had 2 great months of running good and suddenly you think you can become a real crusher, so you neglect studying and improving your game.

I've had loads of talks with my girlfriend about poker and she understands now, she even supports it. I've had to explain myself in detail, we've made some compromises regarding chores and how we spend time together and now she's completely fine with it.

Sometimes, she still doesn't give me enough time or space to do poker, no interruptions while playing is the key, but it's a work in progress. It got much better than it was at the start and I'm sure it can get better with you too.

thats like the best answer :) its good to see some interest :)

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was having the same problem

Learn to multitask during buy period is my advice if you are a MTT player. Try and get all the chores done between hands while you can still rebuy. Feed everybody, run an errand or 2, tidy up and anything else you can squeeze into that time. Hopefully when buys end you will have bought yourself some peace to bust heads and handle your business. This helped my situation a lot.

M

mike1113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Same here

In my experience, as long as you don't punt away your collective money and stay on top of your relationship and your life, your SO should accept poker as a hobby of yours and should learn to live with it like they learn to live with your other personal traits. My GF does things I don't like, and I do things she doesn't like (like poker), but that doesn't mean we're not right for each other; you're never going to find someone that's perfectly happy with EVERY single aspect of your life and you with theirs. These are natural compromises that arise in every relationship, and if it's seriously seriously a problem for your SO, maybe you guys could work out an agreement to take a break from playing or only play 1 time a week or something. Good luck friend!

V

valen_niyee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you bro. Same here. I think unless you can earn a lot of money from poker. You should keep your poker time less and think about your SO.

H

Hiritachi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do what you do, why listen to someone's advice. This is your life, poker is fun, if it makes life happy, then you shouldn't listen to others, those who are not happy with it.

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I join your question, I only have to play less and share more with the family, they have to take both things at the same time without fanaticism.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What to do? Just keep doing what you love, we will never be able to please everyone, but we are who we are, no matter how we pretend, let them accept us as such.:)

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i just don't advertise my passion for poker

Darkray

Darkray

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play at the lowest possible limits, so that the game of poker does not bring you financial damage.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my girlfriend fully supports me playing poker and encourages me to play. sometimes when I lack the motivation after a series of bad beats or self doubt my girlfriend is encouraging me saying you dont realise what your capable of and saying you need to play poker today. you need to be on this.

she says things like i have seen you play your really good she often watches and cheers me on and calls for the cards i need if i get all in eg ak vs 99 she will be going come on ace ace etc.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obsession in any business is not a good thing (everything must be done in moderation)! But if the wife does not compromise either, think if this is your man!