Shuffling chips

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you intimidated, or more thoughtful of a hand your playing against an opponent that is very good at shuffling chips?
In live games in the past I was a little intimidated when i was in a hand against a player shuffling.
I just started learning to shuffle, planing on taking a trip soon to play live. Do think this will give me an edge, sometimes? Thanks.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I can't shuffle chips for the life of me. I usually just end up playing with my stacks when I play live.

I am not intimidated by people who can shuffle. The only thing it really tells me is that they spend a lot of time practicing shuffling chips. While it's possible they also spent a lot of time working on their game, it's not necessarily true.

P

ph0n3_j4ck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be intimidated by people that are shuffling chips. Don't get too ****y either because you can shuffle chips. Don't give away tells by shuffling chips, cause some people that play live can catch on very quick. For example, one hand you're shuffling chips, and the next hand you're not = tells left and right.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah my hand hurts from trying this
For any that know is this a good video for learning ? thanks.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah I don't care. I do it religiously, it's almost like breathing to me at the poker table.

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I have played with many terrible players in live games that can shuffle chips just as good as any professional poker player can do it.

Shuffling chips really means nothing as it is one of the easiest chip tricks to perform.

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask Esfandiari what he can do with his chips and cards lol.

X

xlmnx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shuffle chips in boredom only. Or before i try to sneak an illegal picture of my chip stack at the table to let my gf know how much new clothes she can buy herself. I dont even pay attention to things liek that but i dont usualy touch chips much they are gross, like my X thrown around.

A

atownshend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tried to learn tricks with the chips, however I never felt comfortable shuffling them. I try and concentrate on the game and the players. I think sometimes some players have tells that are evident from how they interact with their chips.

X

xXShannonAXx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no means there spending more time on learning how to shuffle chips then play the game :) im optimistic

Chone420

Chone420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i always shuffle my chips when playing live or even online and at this point its more of just a habit than anything i dont even notice im doing it and while playing online at home shuffling chips drives her crazy and she will tell me to stop but like 5 minutes later im doing it again

Skull_Sniper

Skull_Sniper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i always shuffle my chips when playing live or even online and at this point its more of just a habit than anything i dont even notice im doing it and while playing online at home shuffling chips drives her crazy and she will tell me to stop but like 5 minutes later im doing it again
LOL, same here. I'll do it while I'm sitting at my desk, and my daughters will ask me "why are you doing that". My answer: "It helps me think". Yeah it is pretty much a habit by now.

Last edited:
C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone can buy a chip set and practice all day long to look like a pro. It really doesn't mean a thing. Some people have more flexible fingers than others. Like painting or batting a ball some people will have a talent for it whilst others don't.
It says nothing about how long they have been playing cards or how good they are at the game.

M

MK8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't find it intimidating at all. I find it sad though, when players learn chip tricks to get attention.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I figured it out, but now I have a callus on my thumb from doing it so much. It seems I'm addicted to it now :)

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can shuffle 24 easily...any more than that and I can't tidy them up at the end since my fingers are shorter than the single stack.

Another simple trick to do is the thumb roll. Hold 3 (or more) chips between your pointer and ring fingers and let your middle finger help "cradle" them. Then take your thumb and grab the edge of the outer chip and slowly roll it toward the top. Roll it across your pointer finger on it's edge and place it by flipping it into the inner most position of the stack. When you get the hang of it you can do it pretty fast.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not intimidated at all by shuffiling.
I acctually tend to shuffle when im in a hand but just habit and really try not to when im in a hand.
I think you can acctually pick up tells from shuffelers if you study there pattern.

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the video hobonc, I'm going to try that one.

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is really simple to shuffle chips no need to be at all concerned

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is really simple to shuffle chips no need to be at all concerned

Yeah it's weird how hard it was at first compared to how easy it is after you do it a few thousand times.
Question..will there come a time where I get tired of doing it? Because now I'm wondering if I should have started. I can't put the chips down, I'm even typing this with one hand right now.

G

groggy44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I first started playing poker, I thought the same thing too. First few times I played uber tight and was easily ran over. After a few tourneys though, I realized #1 I'm not sitting across from phil ivey. Nobody was studying me.#2 There's only 4 aces in the deck. Meaning, it's rare for them to have me crushed. #3 Just because they can shuffle chips doesn't mean they know jack diddley about playing poker. It just means they have sat a table with chips.
Personally when I am playing live, I'm constantly shuffling chips. Doesn't matter if I'm bluffing or not. I just keep shuffling.
If I flop quads, just keep shuffling. When someone shoves wait for everyone else to fold before you snap call. Ya might get a few customers.
They have videos on youtube to show you how to shuffle chips.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cool videos both are nice moves ,but it doesn't give you an advantage but we all do sure love that sound of the chips smacking together=)

Boocha

Boocha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never been able to get the hang of it. I'll stick to twiddling my thumbs for now.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never be intimidated by this haha, all players do that at a poker table nowadays, if you go to the tournaments in London you wont find a single table without 8/9 players doing so. I recommend learning how to do it it is so relaxing and helps you concentrate, its become an addiction to me now I recently do it oftenly just when sitting at home

Poker Chips - History of Chips