Should I show my cards after a tough beat?

S

shagnscoob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Negreanu had a chapter about this in his new book. I'd tell you what it said but I forgot, I was reading it at the store.

He basically said if your a beginner forget about showing, especially if you're playing people better than you. But when you've reached a higher level there can be a lot of advantages to showing your cards. He claims that when he does it in a game it's a very calculated move and not just a courtesy to his tablemates (even though he treats it like that, also a calculated move).

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YES HUD = Heads Up Display.

I find myself wanting to say to players who do show "thanks but no thanks".

I don't care much to see what hand caused me to muck. A situation arose where I didn't want to continue, and anyone showing just slows down the action.

I generally don't show. Certainly not to a bunch of strangers. If anything I want them to wonder and wander about wtf I am up to.

In our friendly games, I will on occasion show huge pockets after min raising PF because I want them to know, without a shadow of a doubt that if I min raise PF I have a monster!!!!!:D On those days when the cards seem to be flowing nicely, it is all those other hands where I raise bigger that will get them thinking. So on occasion I will lead out large with huge hands, but never show unless paid to do so.

It is a meta game thing when you play with the same folks often. And boy, from the looks of things, they got me figured out.........and I know they think they have me figured out, and so I feed them these bits of misinformation by showing.

Few have ever seen me showdown total junk unless it was a dead zone shove.

In general, don't show to strangers. Just like mommy said.;)

muahaha

R

Ranger390

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online I never show. But, playing live, I sometimes do show. I try to play tight, but aggressive. So, if I go all the way to a showdown and, in your example, get beaten by a lucky player sucking out, I want to show that player, and the rest of the table that I had a solid hand. This applies particularly when playing Limit Hold'em. However, in No Limit Hold'em, if my set of A's got beat by a suck out runner, runner straight, I would not likely show my hand. Because, if I let the other player draw to his gut shot without first putting him all-in, I would be so ashamed that I would not dare show how badly I played the hand.

D

Dayne G.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online I never show. But, playing live, I sometimes do show. I try to play tight, but aggressive. So, if I go all the way to a showdown and, in your example, get beaten by a lucky player sucking out, I want to show that player, and the rest of the table that I had a solid hand. This applies particularly when playing Limit Hold'em. However, in No Limit Hold'em, if my set of A's got beat by a suck out runner, runner straight, I would not likely show my hand. Because, if I let the other player draw to his gut shot without first putting him all-in, I would be so ashamed that I would not dare show how badly I played the hand.

You're playing w/ waaaayy too much ego. Cinch that up ;)

No need to show the table that you had a good hand at river. Be confident enough w/ yourself, that showing them actually = mental/emotional weakness. What you're really telling the table w/ your river-show is,

"I need you all to understand that I AM a good player... see, see... I play good cards. That dude just got lucky!

To "SHOW THEM NOTHING" doesn't only mean the cards. Show them nothing in your eyes, body language, your words, your lack of words, and most importantly...

"I'm-so-confident-in-my-play-that-I'll-never-have-to-justify-another-river-for-the-rest-of-my-life" attitude! :D

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Providing your opponent with free information gains you what?