Sharkscope - Quiet Please!

T

TurnipHead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so I've just joined full tilt poker and really enjoying it thus far. But:

At the start of every SnG I always fire up sharkscope to check out the other players' stats and for this particular SnG this was no exception.
One particular player had terrible stats but he was doing quite well at the table. He then insulted me after I won some chips from him.

Unfortunately, another player then made a comment about his stats and then another player berated him again, mentioning sharkscope.

I know most people on the cardschat forums are good, honourable players but for those who do abuse others quoting sharkscope stats: Could you please stop? Why? Because:

1. The bad players (who know about sharkscope) will eventually realise that poker is not for them - AND THEN QUIT!

2. The bad players (who do not know about sharkscope) will then google it and soon realise how bad they are -AND THEN QUIT!

3. The good players (who are clued up to sharkscope) will start to notice that their precious little line is not rising as steeply as it used to because bad players have been alerted to how bad they are and have quit!

In other words: IT HELPS NO ONE!!

online poker will only thrive if a steady influx of new, clueless players are drawn in and have the illusion that it's all luck. If you go around trumpeting sharkscope at them then they are not going to hang around for very long.

Believe it or not, most online poker players haven't even heard of sharkscope. Could we try to keep it that way?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sharkscope misses so much that it is essentially useless anymore.

Sharkscope me, and I look bad. Look at my br and I look good.

Part of the data mining issues was addresses when I think it was Stars, took steps to confound data mining programs. Since then the Sharkscope stats have been wrong.

Incidentally, I don't mind this as I know others are still using those wrong stats and playing me that way. This has turned +EV for me.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sharkscope misses so much that it is essentially useless anymore.

Sharkscope me, and I look bad. Look at my br and I look good.

Part of the data mining issues was addresses when I think it was Stars, took steps to confound data mining programs. Since then the Sharkscope stats have been wrong.

Incidentally, I don't mind this as I know others are still using those wrong stats and playing me that way. This has turned +EV for me.
^^^^this pretty much sums it up for me as well and applies to OPR too. Seems odd how I can track every single penny across every type of game and across various sites, yet somehow all the numbers in my spreadsheet don't match online DB sites. I know for a fact my #s are right.

T

TurnipHead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that some sharkscope stats are slightly distorted and that some are inconsistent.

For the ongame network, it mixes MTTs and SnGs etc, while for party poker it only does the Steps SnGs and (I think) some MTTs.

It hardly does any Tournament Searches for Party Poker - and when it does, it only shows a few satellites and the one or two which have lots of shark fins!!

It has good Tournament searches for the Cryptologic Network and Pacific. And its Poker Heaven and iPoker stats seem to be all in order.

Yet it seems to be VERY Full Tilt Poker friendly!

P.S. I can understand that Sharkscope stats can make a player look bad when their bankroll is actually healthy or in a profit. (Ring games and MTTs can swing it good.) But for SnG stats (particularly on FTP and some others) they do, at least, provide a useful clue or guide as to how a person is doing in the SnG department.

Last edited:
THe Slob

THe Slob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just looked up myself on Sharkscope and found I have a 15% ROI in the SNG on full tilt. Didn't see any info on ring games. I know I've doubled my br on tilt in the last two months, thought most of it was from SNG's guess I need to look at my ring games more closely.

I just looked at my pokerstars stats - it has me losing money there. Know that aint right.

Last edited:
OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems to be fairly reliable on Full Tilt - my Sharkscope graph matches my own Full Tilt records pretty closely.

As for OP though, surely if your opponents are that terrible their declining bankroll would alert them to the fact much more quickly and reliably than Sharkscope would?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
surely if your opponents are that terrible their declining bankroll would alert them to the fact much more quickly and reliably than Sharkscope would?
Actually you'd be surprised how many online players don't track wins/losses, don't keep records, don't follow BRM rules, don't know if they are winning or losing, etc. There are literally thousands that are totally clueless.

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually you'd be surprised how many online players don't track wins/losses, don't keep records, don't follow BRM rules, don't know if they are winning or losing, etc. There are literally thousands that are totally clueless.

Jacks Talking about me again :) lol. i admit i dont keep track and im actually clueless thats why i read alot of threads here to learn how to do this stuff. also if anyone knows a good thread explain a ghood way to keep track of ur wins etc can u hook me up in a pm :)