September 2010 Monthy Digest

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will be receiving a very nice newsletter in your email shortly - but here is a text version to view at Cardschat.

Thread Contribution of the Month

This Month's Winner is:

OzExorcist
holder.gif

Broomcorn's uncle

of Australia
Member since Aug 2007

OzExcorcist is always making great posts, but this month he really went out of his way with a special post for the TCOTM!

Check out the threads here:

August TCOTM - because typing "Thread Contribution of the Month" is too hard.... oh

Building from a baby bankroll

Honorable Mentions Go To:

Deceitful_Frank:

[old link~tb]
A good spot for calling IP pre-flop?
A few confusing hands
Raising in EP with (suited) trouble hands
I made a video...

pokerman27 , Deceitful_Frank , WVHillbilly , Skaplun , c9h13no3

Pokerman27 4-Tables $2NL

Cardschat News and Updates:

Upcoming Events:

Calendar
OFC at Doyle's Room Sept 18-19
Cardschat Summer League Bonus Game, Sat Sept 25
Cardschat Summer/Fall League Freeroll Sun, Sept 26

The CCCoHE will return in October!

Also watch for the Fall League sign-ups to begin soon! To find out more about the Cardschat League check here:

Cardschat League Structure and Rules - Summer Session

Last Month's Big Winners:

OMG Comeback of the Century - Biggest Cash to date (dakota-xx)
I won, OMG I ****ing Won (Naruto_miu)
3rd place out of 3629 - $1,439 (SuitedFrenzy)
$838 win on Fulltilt (JoeShowdown)
[old link~tb] (cyborg010)

Site Updates:

A new design for Cardschat is in the works. Stay tuned for that and some other exciting changes soon!

Member News:

Brags:

I will be featured in a comic book (Mortis)
Bought my 1ST Harley Davidson (PC69)

Adventures:

Busted - Vegas Trip Report (Arahel Jazz)
Vegas re-visited (dakota-xx)
Back From Vacation (jaycism)
Meet-up @ Hard Rock Cafe, Boston,Ma. (buckster436)
What to do in Boston?? (dakota-xx)
Just back from Vegas (Leo 50)

Last edited by a moderator:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"6 Stats Every Poker Player Should Know" - poker strategy Tips From This Month's Sponsor: PokerTableRatings.com

I started playing poker in 2004. Back then, no one really looked at stats. No one had even heard of PokerTracker.

Things are different now. Hold’Em Manager, PokerTracker 3, and PokerTableRatings.com show you HUNDREDS of stats on your opponents. Even for an advanced player, all those stats can be overwhelming. In this article, I’ll show you the 6 stats every poker player should know about their opponents.

VPIP (Money Voluntarily Put in the Pot)

VPIP measures pre-flop looseness. Let me repeat that. PRE-FLOP looseness. Most players that are loose pre-flop are probably gonna be pretty loose post-flop too, but that’s not always the case.
Here’s another key tip: you should separate VPIP stats by position (Early, Middle, Late, SB, BB).

Let’s say a Bob has a 30% VPIP. Bob is super tight when he’s UTG (VPIP 8%) and extremely loose when he’s on the button (VPIP 80%).

Jack also has a VPIP of 30%. He’s much looser on UTG (VPIP 20%), but is more conservative on the button (VPIP 60%).

Jack and Bob are VERY different players and you would miss that if you just looked at their overall VPIP.

You can easily check out your opponent’s position stats in PokerTableRatings.com Premium in the “Positions” tab.

positions.png

PFR (Pre-flop Raise)
PFR gives you a sense of your opponents’ pre-flop aggression. Again, players that are aggressive pre-flop are not necessary aggressive post-flop. For post-flop aggression, you should look at Continuation Bet frequency and street-by-street aggression stats. We’ll get into that later...

You should separate out PFR by position too. An overall 20% PFR stat is not that useful.

Continuation Bet (C-Bet) Frequency

A continuation bet occurs when a player raises pre-flop and then is the first to bet on the flop.

The cbet stat is important because it gives you a sense of your opponents range on the flop. If he’s cbetting 90% of the time, you should open up your calling/raising range. If he’s cbetting 60% of the time, you should be more conservative with what hands you call/raise.

You can find the C-Bet Frequency stat under the “General” tab in PokerTableRatings Premium.

flop_stats.png

Continuation Bet Fold Frequency (C-Bet Fold %)
This is cbet’s cousin. It shows you how often your opponent will fold when YOU cbet. If he’s gonna fold to 80% of your cbets, you should be more liberal with your cbets (especially when you miss the flop). If he only folds to 20% of cbets, you should consider tightening up your cbetting range or firing more double/triple barrels.

Aggression Factor (AF)

The aggression factor breaks down an opponent’s street-by-street tendency to bet or raise. The higher the aggression factor, the greater chance you’re opponent is gonna bet or raise. Some players are aggressive on the flop, but are passive on the turn and river.

Went to Showdown (WTSD)

This stat determines if an opponent is calling station. If he is, than avoid bluffing him! Just increase the range of hands you bet for value. For example, against most players, you wouldn’t bet mid-pair on the river for value. Against a super calling station, it might be a decent play.

Conclusion

Analyzing your opponents’ stats with HEM, PT3 or PokerTableRatings.com Premium is a key component of taking your game to the next level. It’s especially important for multi-tablers that would otherwise have a difficult time getting reads on dozens of opponents.

Last edited by a moderator:
cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This looks great! Thanks to all who contributed to this, much appreciated.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Grr I wish there were freeware programs that tracked stats for you. =/ What ever happened to the open source movement? I just have to go without until I can win some money to but PT3 I guess!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice. Got my name in the 1st issue. Mom will be so proud!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How would a guy like me make it onto the news letter. You know I have a big ego and need my name there :D

It looks good btw.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How would a guy like me make it onto the news letter. You know I have a big ego and need my name there :D

It looks good btw.

I heard that gratuities usually work pretty well!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It looks good btw.

I think you should do a movie review each month. Call it "Marginally Good Movies" or some such crap.

Last edited:
DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It looks good btw.

Start a new award...SCOTM (Spam contributor of the month):p Just hope nobody changes it to SCROTM when your backs turned:eek: Looks great dakota. Liking some of the new changes happening here:)

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks great, this is awesome.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Well let's see.... you could take down a nice tournament, have an exciting adventure, get married, have a baby, or do anything that is remotely exciting lololol!

Last edited:
O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Site Updates:

A new design for Cardschat is in the works. Stay tuned for that and some other exciting changes soon!
Lol Nick was so coy about this in some other thread, surely you'll give some info though yeah? :p

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well let's see.... you could takedown a nice tournament, have an exciting adventure, get married, have a baby, or do anything that is remotely exciting lololol!

Well this one time in band camp...

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just received my CC e-newsletter--looks fabulous! Kudos to everyone who made this happen. Question: did this go out to the entire membership? If so, I imagine we'll see a great influx of renewed participation over the next few days...

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an outstanding post. Thanks for sharing.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just received my CC e-newsletter--looks fabulous! Kudos to everyone who made this happen. Question: did this go out to the entire membership? If so, I imagine we'll see a great influx of renewed participation over the next few days...

Yes - it went out to everyone who had valid emails.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...and hasn't disabled email notification in their UserCP.

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome! I'm gonna go check my email now.

It's even more exciting being I made it into the newsletter :top:

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
...and hasn't disabled email notification in their UserCP.

Hmmm, I guess that's why I don't see it in my email.

Is there a way someone can forward the Newsletter to me?

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is great! I love it! It's especially useful since I'm such a troll here. Congrats to all who made the newsletter.

Marginal, you should make a contribution called "The Many Faces of Bert- A Deep Look Into The Mind of A Mad Puppet". I would subscribe.;)

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i use my wits and intuition no need for trackers
for untallinted players
use your eyes to get the best pusle unless u have add then use the trackers

ps. good luck playing live:D :confused:

Good luck playing 8+ tables!:p