Running it twice

Norman Vasquez

Norman Vasquez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When there is a showdown all-in, why would anyone want to run it twice, specially when you are ahead. Who likes to run it twice and why? And who doesn’t and why?

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think players agree about running it twice before they turn over their hands, so they don't really know who's ahead. At least that's how I remember from what I watched on TV, I don't have any first hand experience.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing Run in twice makes sense at high stakes in short run to reduce variance. Playing all-in with a stronger hand, we don't want a badbeat, so run in twice allows you to reduce this risk. If we have a weaker hand, more flops give us a better chance of catching our outs.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only seen someone do this on TV. None of my live cash table sessions has this came up.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was a poker room I loved and got shut down, but they used to run it twice a lot on huge all-in pots (huge being about 1K). The reason is 3-fold:

1. If you're behind it gives you a better chance of picking up half the pot.
  2. If you're 50-50 it reduces the chances of you losing the entire pot.
  3. If you're way ahead you will probably win anyways, even though there is the greater risk of chopping.
So 2 positives and a potential negative equals positive in the long run.

Plus, when you play big cash pots, chopping and getting to keep playing is NOT a bad thing.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know now this theme in pokerstars appeared the type of carve-up of the lump sum payment sometimes the channel when I see it protip your AA KK but I don't really like. I don't know what this thing is.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its cool if your buddies and your just having a good time. But at a game where I dont know anybody. I only run it once.

M

MichaelTyler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't run it twice because it's boring. I'd rather there big one big winner even if it's not me rather than potentially have a chop pot and lose to the rake. No need to reduce variance if you are properly rolled either. Plus the people who always run it twice get tilted so easy when you don't do it :p

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When there's an all-in matchup, why would anyone want to run it twice, especially when you're ahead? Who likes to run it twice and why? And who doesn't and why?
is an option of a table rule that is fulfilled if both players have it activated and agree, it is an option with advantages and disadvantages and will depend on the game situation in which you find yourself sometimes it would favor you and sometimes not.

D

DavPerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It definitely seems like if you can run it twice, you should. It's like one of those things where if you're playing poker, you should be playing to chances and statistics, and statistically running it twice is beneficial.

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great question I think you will find it is definitely personal preference kinda like do you chop? I prefer to only run it once when I'm all in. I have faith in my hand and running it twice just seems like torture. So many times I've seen split pots because of this. No thanks run it once. Leave fate up to a single river for me :angel:

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Running twice or 3-times is a good manner to avoid bad, I think. I only say no when I'm nuts.

meagain00

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to play purely for the edge, one should only run it twice if one has the 2nd best hand...why give an oppo 2 chances to make their draw / 3 outer..??

but i guess it's give and take...especially if one is playing with the same people regularly...or having a long session at one table....and one might probably want to run it twice when one has the draw etc.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think players agree about running it twice before they turn over their hands, so they don't really know who's ahead. At least that's how I remember from what I watched on TV, I don't have any first hand experience.

i think there is been times where they agreed to run it twice even after showing the hole cards , i think i saw it on The Big Game a hand that involved Phil Hellmuth.
plus in GGPoker you decide to run it once twice or three times after you see the villain's hand , and the player with the least odds gets to ask for it , and the one with the advantage gets to accept or deny it .

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I believe running it Twice is a Gentleman's agreement that only happens in cash games, The player ahead can offer the player behind or at risk, an option to run the remaining cards in the hand twice or even 3 times.
It is not usually allowed in tournaments as the object of the tournament is to KO the players and reach the final table. So running the cards twice would be defeating the whole idea of a tourney.
The reference to Phil Helmut in the "Big Game" was referring to a hand when Phil had Hit trips on the flop and the loose cannon had an over pair to the table and pushed all-in, Phil called and being his usual "cocky" self said they could run it 4 times if they wanted and the loose cannon agreed, missed the first finish so 1 to Phil. 2nd run gave the loose cannon a King so he had a bigger set to Phil, 1 each, Then on the next run came runner runner spades to give the cannon a King Flush, 1/2 and then on the last run the last case King came on the river giving trips again to the Cannon. giving the cannon 75% of the pot
Funniest result I have seen in a long time.

When the fun Stops, STOP!