Royal Flush vs Royal Flush

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is bugging the hell out of me. Im 90% positive I've read this somewhere in a poker book, but 10% of me thinks I could either be completely wrong or I just don't fully remember it and I'm getting my information all mixed up.

Is it possible for a royal flush to beat another royal flush?

I know the suits rankings are in alphabetical order, from lowest to highest: Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts, Spades. So, in a game where it's possible to make a royal flush like draw poker or stud and two opponents both get a royal flush-is that a split pot or do the suit rankings come into play? IE: A spade royal flush beats a diamond royal flush.

Also, it might depend on the game. I use draw poker and stud as an example since each player both uses the best 5 cards in their hands. If those were not examples of royals beating royals based on suit rankings, what games-if any-are there where the suits have a rank?

Updated Feb 2018:

While the odds of 2 players getting a royal flush at the same time are astronomically high - theoretically it could happen.

In NLHE it would result in a split pot. To find out more about hand rankings visit these pages:

Top 10 Hands

Poker Hand Nicknames & Rankings

Last edited by a moderator:
JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am not mistaken I think Bridge uses the rank of cards? I maybe wrong though. But in poker at showdown, a royal and a royal is a royal and is split.

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ordering suits

Whist-style rules generally prevent the necessity of determining which of two cards of different suits has higher value, because a card played on a card of a different suit either automatically wins or automatically loses depending on whether the new card is a trump. However, some card games also need to make a definition of which suit is intrinsically the most valuable. An example of this is in auction games such as bridge, where if one player bids to make some number of heart tricks and another bids to make the same number of diamond tricks, there must be a mechanism to determine which takes precedence.
As there is no truly standard way to order the four suits, each game that needs to do so has its own convention; however, the ubiquity of bridge has gone some way to make its ordering a de facto standard. Typical orderings of suits include (from highest to lowest):
  • Bridge: spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs (for bidding and scoring);
  • Five Hundres: hearts, diamonds, clubs, spades (for bidding and scoring);
  • Ninety-nine: clubs, hearts, spades, diamonds (supposedly mnemonic as they have respectively 3, 2, 1, 0 lobes; see article for how this scoring is used);
  • Skat: clubs, spades, hearts, diamonds (for bidding and to determine which Jack beats which in play);
  • Big Two and sometimes in poker: spades, hearts, clubs, diamonds (alternates by color).

Joe Slick

Joe Slick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only place in poker (that I am aware of) where suits make a difference is in the stud games.

In stud games, there is a forced "bring in" based on your first up card. In regular or high/low stud the person with the lowest card posts the forced "bring in". The lowest card is the 2c, followed by 2d, 2h, 2s, 3c, ... etc.

In Razz, it's the highest card that posts and the order is reversed so it is Ks, Kh, Kd, Kc, Qs, ... etc.

Mortis

Mortis

Skeleton Crew
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ordering suits

Whist-style rules generally prevent the necessity of determining which of two cards of different suits has higher value, because a card played on a card of a different suit either automatically wins or automatically loses depending on whether the new card is a trump. However, some card games also need to make a definition of which suit is intrinsically the most valuable. An example of this is in auction games such as bridge, where if one player bids to make some number of heart tricks and another bids to make the same number of diamond tricks, there must be a mechanism to determine which takes precedence.
As there is no truly standard way to order the four suits, each game that needs to do so has its own convention; however, the ubiquity of bridge has gone some way to make its ordering a de facto standard. Typical orderings of suits include (from highest to lowest)

No love for the diamonds, I see.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, diamonds ARE rigged.

B

butterfly_kzz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ty all i learned something new i didnt know :)

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only place in poker (that I am aware of) where suits make a difference is in the stud games.

In stud games, there is a forced "bring in" based on your first up card. In regular or high/low stud the person with the lowest card posts the forced "bring in". The lowest card is the 2c, followed by 2d, 2h, 2s, 3c, ... etc.

In Razz, it's the highest card that posts and the order is reversed so it is Ks, Kh, Kd, Kc, Qs, ... etc.

Are you sure? I think if there were 2 straight flushes or royal flushes that were both the same card high that there would be a split pot. However I dont really think it matters because the chances of that happening have to be in the billions.........:eek:

Joe Slick

Joe Slick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The "bring in" is the first bet made on the first round of the seven cards stud type of games. After that, the suits make no difference. Identical flushes of any type, straight or otherwise, will split the pot as long as there is not better hand at the table.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any flush or str8 flush or royal flush that is a duplicate, is a tie and therefore a split pot.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a Royal vs. Royal, but it'll at least show you what happens in Stud (at least on Stars)

pokerstars Game #11352151933: Tournament #57593066, $6.00+$0.50 HORSE (7 Card Stud Hi/Lo Limit) - Level V (80/160) - 2007/08/06 - 23:51:52 (ET)
Table '57593066 1' 8-max
Seat 1: Travl'nLight (1309 in chips)
Seat 2: swimmer9 (2584 in chips)
Seat 3: M3Trader (717 in chips)
Seat 4: johntrayn (1166 in chips)
Seat 5: Outpost-Geo. (2166 in chips)
Seat 6: TwoEggs (670 in chips)
Seat 7: damhouse,too (1619 in chips)
Seat 8: RockStarStud (1769 in chips)
M3Trader: posts the ante 16
johntrayn: posts the ante 16
Outpost-Geo.: posts the ante 16
TwoEggs: posts the ante 16
damhouse,too: posts the ante 16
RockStarStud: posts the ante 16
Travl'nLight: posts the ante 16
swimmer9: posts the ante 16
*** 3rd STREET ***
Dealt to Travl'nLight [Qs]
Dealt to swimmer9 [7c]
Dealt to M3Trader [Ac 9d Ks]
Dealt to johntrayn [4h]
Dealt to Outpost-Geo. [2h]
Dealt to TwoEggs [6s]
Dealt to damhouse,too [5d]
Dealt to RockStarStud [Td]
Outpost-Geo.: brings in for 24
TwoEggs: folds
damhouse,too: calls 24
RockStarStud: folds
Travl'nLight: calls 24
swimmer9: calls 24
M3Trader: folds
johntrayn: calls 24
*** 4th STREET ***
Dealt to Travl'nLight [Qs] [Js]
Dealt to swimmer9 [7c] [3d]
Dealt to johntrayn [4h] [2d]
Dealt to Outpost-Geo. [2h] [Tc]
Dealt to damhouse,too [5d] [Qd]
Travl'nLight: bets 80
swimmer9: calls 80
johntrayn: folds
Outpost-Geo.: calls 80
damhouse,too: calls 80
*** 5th STREET ***
Dealt to Travl'nLight [Qs Js] [Qh]
Dealt to swimmer9 [7c 3d] [9s]
Dealt to Outpost-Geo. [2h Tc] [Ah]
Dealt to damhouse,too [5d Qd] [Jd]
Travl'nLight: bets 160
swimmer9: calls 160
Outpost-Geo.: folds
damhouse,too: raises 160 to 320
Travl'nLight: calls 160
*** 6th STREET ***
Dealt to Travl'nLight [Qs Js Qh] [8s]
Dealt to swimmer9 [7c 3d 9s] [Kh]
Dealt to damhouse,too [5d Qd Jd] [3s]
Travl'nLight: checks
swimmer9: checks
damhouse,too: bets 160
*** RIVER ***
Travl'nLight: bets 160
swimmer9: raises 160 to 320
damhouse,too: calls 320
Travl'nLight: raises 160 to 480
swimmer9: raises 160 to 640
Betting is capped
damhouse,too: calls 320
*** SHOW DOWN ***
swimmer9: shows [4c 2c 7c 3d 9s Kh 6d] (HI: high card King; LO: 7,6,4,3,2)
damhouse,too: shows [8d Ad 5d Qd Jd 3s 5c] (HI: a flush, Ace high)
Travl'nLight: shows [5s 4s Qs Js Qh 8s As] (HI: a flush, Ace high)
damhouse,too collected 982 from pot
Travl'nLight collected 982 from pot
swimmer9 collected 1964 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3928 | Rake 0
Seat 1: Travl'nLight showed [5s 4s Qs Js Qh 8s As] and won (982) with HI: a flush, Ace high
Seat 2: swimmer9 showed [4c 2c 7c 3d 9s Kh 6d] and won (1964) with HI: high card King; LO: 7,6,4,3,2
Seat 3: M3Trader folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 4: johntrayn folded on the 4th Street
Seat 5: Outpost-Geo. folded on the 5th Street
Seat 6: TwoEggs folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 7: damhouse,too showed [8d Ad 5d Qd Jd 3s 5c] and won (982) with HI: a flush, Ace high
Seat 8: RockStarStud folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)

R

RazzleDazzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to imagine that the odds of two people getting royal flushes in seven card stud has to be soo crazy low, that its essentially impossible. I know that billions and billions of hands have been dealt online, but most of that is not in a game like stud where royal flush v. royal flush is even possible.

Also, when you see the hand charts of what beats what, its always royal flush on top, and no mention of one royal beating another.

But could you imagine if you did get royal v royal, it'd be pretty crazy - not to mention if one of the royals beat the other - Talk about a bad beat!

Full Flush Poker